Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
Its not.

Even non college Texas fans would stay up to watch the game late. They just don't know how big it is down here.

But in terms of marketing towards the rest of the country, it rapidly becomes one. I keep missing the final minutes of NBA games in the finals because I need to get to sleep.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boise officially to Mountain West. Link

The dominoes are falling. This one changes some of the MWC scenarios, but I think is also more proof that other moves are on the way. MWC would have been holding out for Big 12 rejects if possible otherwise.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
Here's a big factor AGAINST the Pac-10 for any current Big 12 team. Pacific Time Zone. It may be the same distance to Seattle as it is to Happy Valley, but Texas doesn't want to be playing 10 pm EST start times. That would be a killer for a school with a huge fan base and huge alumni association. And to add my two cents about academics...even the guy who was last in his class in medical school is still a doctor. The AAU is a strong positive factor for induction into the Big Ten. There are 63 institutions on it ranging from Canadian colleges to Ivy league. That cuts out about 15 schools. Add in the schools that are lodged firmly in other conferences (Duke, USC, UNC) and small schools (Johns Hopkins, U of C, Wash U.) and your list dwindles.

Nebraska doesn't bring much more to the table academically than is already in the Big Ten. What it does bring is football tradition, knowledgable fans that travel and fun, exciting new matchups.

Finally, and I know I'm kinda looping back on myself but, for all this talk of travel...the teams that are talked about the most for travel have the biggest coffers. Texas and Notre Dame. Would it suck for the non-revenue sports? Probably, but at the same time, the football teams are going to make that back.

And speaking of non-revenue...Texas and Notre Dame would add or create credibility in sports like baseball, softball, swimming, lacrosse and volleyball.

Well, if he passed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
But in terms of marketing towards the rest of the country, it rapidly becomes one. I keep missing the final minutes of NBA games in the finals because I need to get to sleep.

Well college football is generally always on a Saturday with a few occasions.. so unless you are going to work on Sunday, there should be no problem having to watch a late Texas game..

And I guarantee you, it doesn't matter what day it was on just about every Texas fan will watch the game, regardless of work or not.. At least Texas fans that live in Texas or are from Texas.. they just will, without a doubt..

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
I really wonder how all of this will impact television contracts. Will this be effective this coming season? Seems like there's no way they can do that.

Boise's move officially will take effect in 2011. Nebraska is trying to get it done by then. There's no chance it takes effect this upcoming season.

Pac 10 commish flew in personally today to hand out invites to OU, Okie State, and will be in Texas soon. A&M is apparently close to accepting an offer to the SEC.

That would be the perfect situation for me. It seems Kansas would be the favorite to take A&M's place.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
Pac 10 commish flew in personally today to hand out invites to OU, Okie State, and will be in Texas soon. A&M is apparently close to accepting an offer to the SEC.

That would be the perfect situation for me. It seems Kansas would be the favorite to take A&M's place.

There's going to be a LOT of pissed off people in Texas if that happens. It would be a shame to see that rivalry go down the crapper.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
There's going to be a LOT of pissed off people in Texas if that happens. It would be a shame to see that rivalry go down the crapper.

I blame every A&M coach after RC Slocum for that.

The Big 12 teams that don't move (my guesses would be Mizzou, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, and Iowa State) should try to get five other teams like TCU, BYU, Boise State (even though they are moving to the Mountain West), Utah, and some other team like NIU to form a new Big 10.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)
I don't get that. The SEC is a powerhouse, but wouldn't the Aggies be better served staying with their in-state rivals???

You have to understand the Aggie mindset. They want to be considered as great at all costs. Being a part of the SEC will be the magical factor that will allow them to out-recruit Texas in their minds. They will step in to the SEC and immediately be on the level of Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, and LSU even though they won their national title over 70 years ago.

The rest of the world knows the truth. Arkansas found out the hard way several years ago. As long as OU doesn't jump ship to the SEC, I will just sit back and laugh at A&M.

I would love adding A&M to the SEC. Opens up Texas more for TV exposure, recruiting, etc. Plus, A&M doesn't scare me at all - they're solid but nothing more.

Another name I'm hearing now for the SEC is Missouri, which I find interesting. I hadn't ever thought of them before, but I'd be okay with them too.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
Another name I'm hearing now for the SEC is Missouri, which I find interesting. I hadn't ever thought of them before, but I'd be okay with them too.

This rumor has been amusing to me. It seems Big Ten fans think they are too good for Missouri, but the higher prestige, more arrogant fan bases of the SEC seem to want Missouri. Just another weird cog in this extremely weird saga.