Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Although the Aggies Rivals site says A&M to the SEC.

If you haven't figured it out yet, this is a classic case of sources using and abusing a bunch of writers hoping to be "breaking". Chip Brown has been wrong about 60% of the time so far. And a bunch of posts in here set as definitive were anything but. They are listening to anyone and reporting everything.

Let me jump in on the A&M situation....

A&M wanted to make a decision which was best for them and not feel like they were simply going to follow big brother in Austin. The SEC courted both A&M and UT, but UT had no interest due to academic reasons (who says academics are not a factor?). Gene Stallings is on the board of regents which advises the presidents in these matters. Stallings is the former Head Coach at Alabama and won the 1993 NC, beating Miami. At first it seemed to be more of an exploration thing and then potentially trying to talk Texas into going too, but that did not happen. Things turned within the last few days when Texas told A&M if they split and went their own way, Texas would not schedule A&M in "anything, anytime soon". That just fueled the Aggies fire to do their own thing.

The reason reports are saying it is a done deal is they apparently have a majority of the regents on board with splitting from UT. No vote or decision has been made and things could change. But it seems like much more of a possibility now than it did just 3-4 days ago.

I'm sure there are tons of behind the scenes politicking going on right now and anything could change. Beebe is trying to save the Big 12, A&M doesn't want to go west, UT doesn't want to go east. I think Texas would consider the Big Ten if they could bring Tech along, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Don't count out the possibility that the Big 12 stays together and then a 2nd wave happens next year, which could include Texas moving again. Anything is still possible, but some possibilities most of us thought could not have been seem to be legit now.

My guess is the only shot Texas decides to join the Big Ten is if Notre Dame decides to do so as well.

As far as Notre Dame goes, their ego is the only thing keeping them from joining. Joining the Big Ten would give them more money than their NBC contract and there is nothing keeping them from the NBC contract until it expires.

Notre Dame to the Big Ten makes sense to everybody but Notre Dame's ego. The Big Ten offered to stop at 12 if ND would join, but the Pac-10 stepping in courting Texas moved up the BT's timetable and forced them to take Nebraska now when ND wouldn't commit. Now, if the Big Ten goes east and plucks Rutgers and Syracuse (some see Syracuse as the key to get ND to perk up, but not sure why), then there will likely be further dominos fall. If the SEC adds A&M, they will likely want at least one more team. If they don't get Oklahoma, then the list of VA Tech, FSU, GA Tech, Miami, Clemson, etc opens up. If the SEC decides to go to a full 16, then the ACC has to do some major scrambling and raid the Big East, which would likely crumble. At that point, ND has no conference home for their other sports, which could make scheduling a nightmare. At that point, one would think ND would have to make a move. Going anywhere beside the Big Ten would simply be ego-driven.

It could all happen fast or it could take a year for all the dominos fall and there are other possibilities, esp with the Mtn West and the remaining Big 12 schools.

I'm not sure I'm going to like where the dust is going to settle when all is said and done, but the journey is certainly entertaining.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
If you haven't figured it out yet, this is a classic case of sources using and abusing a bunch of writers hoping to be "breaking". Chip Brown has been wrong about 60% of the time so far. And a bunch of posts in here set as definitive were anything but. They are listening to anyone and reporting everything.

That's exactly how the AggieYell article came across.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
but the journey is certainly entertaining.

You can say that again. The plane still hasn't left Austin. A&M might be re-considering the Pac 10 offer, or the Pac 10 commish could just be tired and waiting until the morning to go to KC.

I think Texas got smart and realized that Pac-10, Big-10, SEC were barbarians at the gates. Texas for a split second almost let them in. They got so caught up in other teams leaving they almost forgot that no other conference would let Texas run it.

My guess is when the Pac-10 invited Colorado without Texas already accepting the Pac-10 invite, Texas realized that they werent in control and that maybe the grass wasnt greener in Cali.

Who knows, all of the "scoops" have been by journalists who generally cover recruiting and therefore dont have to be right.

So, ISU has gone from completely f***ed to possibly having a stronger athletics department after this.

Basically, cautious optimism is the buzzword right now.

Big 12 South schools DO NOT WANT to open Texas more to SEC or Pac 10 recruiting.

I still don't think Texas is in control. I think they will be the last to move. They won't be in bad shape because they will make SOMEONE a lot of money, but for them, the big 12 is the best option because they control everyone. If the big 12 stays together it's because texas wanted to stay and they organized a new TV deal. But if it doesn't stay together it's not because texas wanted to leave, it's probably because A&M or someone else jumps ship because they are tired of 1 team controlling the organization.

The Big 12 was built on sand. This isn't that suprising.

Regarding Missouri, the most nail-on-head comment i've seen:

"Yes, Mizzou has two great tv markets, a rising football reputation, and a solid academic record but if it wants to move it requires a buyer, and from what little credible evidence we have, there appears to be no better buyer than the B12."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
That sounds like a boy who dumped his girlfriend to see other people, but no one wanted to see him, so he went crawling back.

If the girlfriend was initially paying you less than your proposed girlfriends were, and then your girlfriend said that now you could get 15 million a year.

I really liked the false BYU and Air Force to the Big 12 rumors. I've wanted BYU since CU left. Not sure I understand AF as much, though I will say, if you've ever been to the Academy, that place is freaking beautiful.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
As far as Notre Dame goes, their ego is the only thing keeping them from joining. Joining the Big Ten would give them more money than their NBC contract and there is nothing keeping them from the NBC contract until it expires.

Notre Dame to the Big Ten makes sense to everybody but Notre Dame's ego. The Big Ten offered to stop at 12 if ND would join, but the Pac-10 stepping in courting Texas moved up the BT's timetable and forced them to take Nebraska now when ND wouldn't commit. Now, if the Big Ten goes east and plucks Rutgers and Syracuse (some see Syracuse as the key to get ND to perk up, but not sure why), then there will likely be further dominos fall. If the SEC adds A&M, they will likely want at least one more team. If they don't get Oklahoma, then the list of VA Tech, FSU, GA Tech, Miami, Clemson, etc opens up. If the SEC decides to go to a full 16, then the ACC has to do some major scrambling and raid the Big East, which would likely crumble. At that point, ND has no conference home for their other sports, which could make scheduling a nightmare. At that point, one would think ND would have to make a move. Going anywhere beside the Big Ten would simply be ego-driven.

It could all happen fast or it could take a year for all the dominos fall and there are other possibilities, esp with the Mtn West and the remaining Big 12 schools.

I'm not sure I'm going to like where the dust is going to settle when all is said and done, but the journey is certainly entertaining.

Why is that the case? It's not TV revenues they want to protect, its merchandising. Right now ND owns all the rights to their merchandising without having to share it with a conference. Thats a ton of $$$$

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
I think ND doesnt want to join a conference because of perception.

ND football as an independent is "special".

ND football in the Big 10 is middle of the pack.

ND football hasn't been special in probably 20 years.