Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)
ND football hasn't been special in probably 20 years.

Doesnt mean they are arrogant and want all the attention they currently get and may not get if they actually go to a conference.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Big 12 now HAS to look at expansion to get back to 12, even if they don't actually add. Have to look at BYU, Utah (even though they might very well be gone), Air Force, Arkansas, Memphis and Louisville.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Why is that the case? It's not TV revenues they want to protect, its merchandising. Right now ND owns all the rights to their merchandising without having to share it with a conference. Thats a ton of $$$$

You can't convince me that ND is making so much more merchandising revenue that it would cover the difference in TV revenue. Big Ten teams split $22 million last year. The NBC contract was reportedly $8 million. Add in bowl revenue and merchandising (though I do not think Big Ten merchandising is included in the $22 mil figure) and you still aren't there.

Notre Dame is not joining the Big Ten right now for one reason and one reason only. It's ego. They have a big enough endowment that the added revenue from the Big Ten, while nice, isn't a necessity. At least not more so than their own perception of their worth as an independent.

pretty much. But that's what happens when you have a market that completely dominates the rest. However, we made out pretty money-wise. But, in 5 years I expect the big 12 to be gone again. This isn't a solid relationship.

However, losing Nebraska and CU for basketball, good riddance. For football 1/2.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
You can't convince me that ND is making so much more merchandising revenue that it would cover the difference in TV revenue. Big Ten teams split $22 million last year. The NBC contract was reportedly $8 million. Add in bowl revenue and merchandising (though I do not think Big Ten merchandising is included in the $22 mil figure) and you still aren't there.

Notre Dame is not joining the Big Ten right now for one reason and one reason only. It's ego. They have a big enough endowment that the added revenue from the Big Ten, while nice, isn't a necessity. At least not more so than their own perception of their worth as an independent.

I was told ND gets 26 million dollars annually in merchandising because of owning their rights and not splitting the money.

Cleveland Plain Dealer's suggestion on splitting the Big Ten (12) into two divisions:

Big Ten Black

Ohio State, 102-25 (.803) -- 230-74-5 (.752)

Michigan, 81-43 (.653) -- 222-80-5 (.731)

Wisconsin, 86-43 (.667) -- 170-129-4 (.568)

Michigan State, 60-62 (.492) -- 153-141-4 (.520)

Purdue, 67-57 (.540) -- 133-156-4 (.461)

Indiana, 39-78 (.333) -- 118-167-3 (.415)

Totals 435-308 (.585) -- 1026-747-25 (.578)

Big Ten Blue

Nebraska, 84-44 (.656) -- 242-71-1 (.772)

Penn State, 77-46 (.626) --218-86-1 (.716)

Iowa, 80-45 (.640) -- 182-116-5 (.609)

Minnesota, 62-62 (.500) -- 129-162-2 (.444)

Illinois, 45-73 (.381) -- 124-162-5 (.435)

Northwestern, 61-61 (.500) -- 116-172-3 (.404)

Totals 409-331 (.553) -- 1011-769-17 (.567)

IMO, the "Black" division is a much harder road. But its as even as possible.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
Cleveland Plain Dealer's suggestion on splitting the Big Ten (12) into two divisions:

IMO, the "Black" division is a much harder road. But its as even as possible.

If that were to happen, I would hope Minnesota and Wisconsin would be in the same division, considering it's the oldest rivalry in college sports.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
The Big 12 now HAS to look at expansion to get back to 12, even if they don't actually add. Have to look at BYU, Utah (even though they might very well be gone), Air Force, Arkansas, Memphis and Louisville.

I'd add TCU to that list, and maybe New Mexico.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
If that were to happen, I would hope Minnesota and Wisconsin would be in the same division, considering it's the oldest rivalry in college sports.

How so?

Michigan vs Notre Dame 1887

Cincy v Miami 1888

Army v Navy 1890

Minny v Wisco 1890

And thats just D1.

In all of college football:

Harvard v Yale 1875

Lafayette v Lehigh 1884

Amherst v Williams 1884

DePauw v Wabash 1890

I believe its one of the most played, but certainly not the oldest.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
I'd add TCU to that list, and maybe New Mexico.

Among the other hilarious parts of the press conference, Beebe stated that the Big 12(10) will not be adding 2 teams in current plans.

He also said the TV deal proposed had no backing yet, and that the current TV deal runs through 2015.

Texas Tech is exploring other options and now Okie State has joined in.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
How so?

Michigan vs Notre Dame 1887

Cincy v Miami 1888

Army v Navy 1890

Minny v Wisco 1890

And thats just D1.

In all of college football:

Harvard v Yale 1875

Lafayette v Lehigh 1884

Amherst v Williams 1884

DePauw v Wabash 1890

I believe its one of the most played, but certainly not the oldest.

Sorry, I must have confused oldest with most played. That being said, here's what Wikipedia says about Paul Bunyan's Axe:

The trophy is a symbol of one of the most storied rivalries in college football, representing the oldest and most-played rivalry in Division I-A football, with 119 editions dating back to 1890

Of course, it's certainly possible that it's wrong, but really, that's just semantics. You can't split the two teams up into two different Big 10 divisions.. it makes no sense whatsoever.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Sorry, I must have confused oldest with most played. That being said, here's what Wikipedia says about Paul Bunyan's Axe:

Of course, it's certainly possible that it's wrong, but really, that's just semantics. You can't split the two teams up into two different Big 10 divisions.. it makes no sense whatsoever.

Best option that I see is switching Wisconsin with Penn State, but that makes Black even tougher IMO.

I think it may be that Minnesota/Wisconsin have played the most times in a row? I know its something because people always bring it up.

The division would be great because Wisconsin would play OSU and Michigan every year. It may also be slightly more difficult, but any division that has OSU in it will be the more difficult one. They could have a rivalry game against Minnesota, where they play them every year, its not that difficult to make work.

The division would be bad because itd be slightly harder in football. It also would not work for basketball, Purdue, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan state in the same division? Thats pretty rough haha.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
I think it may be that Minnesota/Wisconsin have played the most times in a row? I know its something because people always bring it up.

The division would be great because Wisconsin would play OSU and Michigan every year. It may also be slightly more difficult, but any division that has OSU in it will be the more difficult one. They could have a rivalry game against Minnesota, where they play them every year, its not that difficult to make work.

The division would be bad because itd be slightly harder in football. It also would not work for basketball, Purdue, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan state in the same division? Thats pretty rough haha.

I only knew it wasnt th oldest because I lost money on a bet regarding this. I think its the longest continuous running one or something like that.

Bball has to be taken into effect when splitting up the conference. Football is one thing, but the bball divisions have a chance to be REAL rough.