Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
Boise State really hasn't been the Boise State that everyone talks about though since 2006. And since that time they've only lost to one team from a bcs conference. And if you're going to bring up Northwestern, the reason they might be able to pull off a big upset every now and than is because they get a ton more opportunities to face that competition so that argument works both ways.

And yes, I'd absolutely love to see these guys in the title game, they wouldn't and shouldn't be favored in that game but there's just no way in hell that they get blown out by any team in the country, it's just not happening.

I'd love to see Boise get the chance in the title game as well. I would actually watch it for once.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Great game last night. But I have to point this out - you know what annoyed me last night? Musburger playing the underdog card all game. Boise goes up early, and after 1 quarter it's "are you shocked America?"

Boise scores the TD to go ahead and it's "and Cinderella is alive!!!!"

WTF? Um, they are ranked #3 and are actually FAVORED in the game. On the road, mind you.

First of all, realize who's playing in the game and the circumstances surrounding it. Second, don't cater the broadcast to the never-watches-college-football-but-just-have-happened-to-tune-into-this-game crowd. Most of us watching last night are knowledgeable fans who knew Boise St was legit (regardless of the argument still going on here), knew everything about the teams, and weren't shocked to see some blue and white team with broncos on their helmet looking formidable aganist a "name" team.

It happened multiple times, and it was just really taking away from the broadcast. He's so much better than that, usually.

ESPN is broadcasting 5 more Boise games this season. ESPN is in bed with Boise so they need to hype them up to generate ratings. I mean at one point Herbstreit was trying to spin how Boise would still be relevant during the season if they lost to VT(When VT was leading late). And then at the end he was trying to compare FedEx field to Lane Stadium, that's laughable right there. Lane Stadium is one of the most difficult stadiums in football.

And if Boise wants to get more respect then play these BCS non conference games back to back to back. Right now they only play BCS teams when they can get an extended period of time to prepare for them. They are off this week before playing Wyoming on the 18th and then Oregon State comes to town. So they are basically getting another month off to prepare for 1 game.

Teams like Florida have a week to prepare for Alabama but then the following week they play LSU. OSU has a 3 game stretch of Penn St, Iowa and Michigan. Major conference teams dont get the luxury to sell out for 1 game over a course of a few weeks.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 02:07 AM)
Play tough teams three weeks in a row. Run the gauntlet Missouri has this year. @ A&M, vs OU, @ Nebraska, @ Texas Tech consecutively.

You think that's tough? Try vs Oregon, vs Florida, @LSU, @Georgia, vs Alabama, @South Carolina as a stretch of 5 out of 6 games (with only UAB in there b/t FLA and LSU). Of all years for Tennessee to be down, we have to play that schedule. I don't think there's a harder stretch in the country.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
And if Boise wants to get more respect then play these BCS non conference games back to back to back. Right now they only play BCS teams when they can get an extended period of time to prepare for them. They are off this week before playing Wyoming on the 18th and then Oregon State comes to town. So they are basically getting another month off to prepare for 1 game.

This you just gotta stop with. It's not Boise's fault that they can hardly get any bcs teams on their schedule. They gotta take whatever the f*** they can get.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
You think that's tough? Try vs Oregon, vs Florida, @LSU, @Georgia, vs Alabama, @South Carolina as a stretch of 5 out of 6 games (with only UAB in there b/t FLA and LSU). Of all years for Tennessee to be down, we have to play that schedule. I don't think there's a harder stretch in the country.

Haha yeah. I wasn't really arguing that Missouri has a tough schedule. I just referenced them because I'm familiar with the schedule. Most BCS teams will have a tough stretch to some degree and that's my point. It's not one game that defines a season. It's the ability to go through a brutal portion of the schedule and come through unscathed. That's what makes the SEC what it is. Even national champs haven't made it through undefeated.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
You sure about that? I could have sworn that Va Tech was favored..

As of Thursday Boise was favored by 2.5, so I assume they were still favored Saturday

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
This you just gotta stop with. It's not Boise's fault that they can hardly get any bcs teams on their schedule. They gotta take whatever the f*** they can get.

Yes and no. Boise would have to go play elsewhere, as no one wants to go to Boise. But I'm sure there's teams that would be OK playing them at home.

Style points are really huge the rest of the way for them, whether that's fair or not. They need to destroy teams. Close wins of any kind will be terrible for them, and give them no shot over a 1 loss team.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)

Oh yeah, nothing is ever Boise's fault. Maybe if Boise didnt demand that all their BCS games take place in week 1 they would find more suitors. Boise is 3-4 vs BCS teams during the regular season in games played in week 2 or later. That is why they dont like playing those games past week 1.

And for 2011 Boise filled their non conference up with the likes of Wyoming,Toledo and Tulsa. They kept one spot open for a BCS team and that was once again for week 1. They tried to strong arm Nebraska into that slot since Nebraska was looking for an opponent but Boise wanted more money than Nebraska was willing to pay. So now Boise plays at Ole Miss to open the season.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
Haha yeah. I wasn't really arguing that Missouri has a tough schedule. I just referenced them because I'm familiar with the schedule. Most BCS teams will have a tough stretch to some degree and that's my point. It's not one game that defines a season. It's the ability to go through a brutal portion of the schedule and come through unscathed. That's what makes the SEC what it is. Even national champs haven't made it through undefeated.

Texas Tech, Utah, @ Oklahoma, @ Texas, Kansas, Nebraska

Kansas doesn't really qualify, but the other 5 are pretty tough....

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Boise St and BYU should join the Pac 10.

No chance, whatsoever, that this would EVER happen.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
Oh yeah, nothing is ever Boise's fault. Maybe if Boise didnt demand that all their BCS games take place in week 1 they would find more suitors. Boise is 3-4 vs BCS teams during the regular season in games played in week 2 or later. That is why they dont like playing those games past week 1.

And for 2011 Boise filled their non conference up with the likes of Wyoming,Toledo and Tulsa. They kept one spot open for a BCS team and that was once again for week 1. They tried to strong arm Nebraska into that slot since Nebraska was looking for an opponent but Boise wanted more money than Nebraska was willing to pay. So now Boise plays at Ole Miss to open the season.

Exactly, its not like they are on the street corner with their hands out to BCS schools saying please come pay us. They dont want to go and play those teams, especially back to back like a real conference schedule.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)

Oh, I know you weren't trying to say you guys have the toughest schedule or anything... I just wanted to throw that out there for everyone to see the murderer's row Tennessee has to face over the next 6 weeks. You bringing up Missouri's schedule just gave me that opportunity.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
No chance, whatsoever, that this would EVER happen.

I agree. Once the Pac-10 brought in Utah, BYU's chances were killed. The Pac-10 now has the Salt Lake market so no need to bring in another team from the area. Plus I'm sure Utah would fight against it. I wouldnt be shocked if BYU ends up in the Big 12 if that conference survives. The Big 12 would then get a share of the Salt Lake market and BYU has a good following nationally.

Boise is screwed IMO. They have no market so they bring nothing to the table.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 03:05 AM)
North Dakota State 6, Kansas 3. Setting back football 60 years.

So just as one would expect, Kansas scores 14 points against GA Tech in the 1st quarter this week! Don't you just love the consistency of 18-22 yr olds? lol

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
That's a major stretch. NU led the whole game and the calls were bad on personal fouls both ways. As Zoom said, the helmet to helmet one was a no-brainer and before the questionable call NU was a big favorite to end the game on that drive anyway.

What was the deal with that f'd up formation when going for the tying 2? Shotgun with 2 RBs to the left of the QB and then a WR going in motion to the right of the center? It's no wonder the center threw it away.

What you don't understand is that it is not possible for an SEC team to lose to anyone outside their elite conference without some kind of excuse. It HAD to be the referees fault. Any missed tackles, turnovers or failed first downs earlier in the game don't count whne making such excuses!

Danman, I figured you for already understanding this rule....

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
ESPN lucked out big time tonight. They broadcast 5 more Boise games this season and if they had lost tonight, no one would give a crap about watching them. Maybe ESPN made a call to the refs during a commercial late in the game.

I think you're right. I was at Buffalo Wild Wings and they couldn't get through to the referee to send the game to overtime. Said the line was busy.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 01:07 AM)
Play tough teams three weeks in a row. Run the gauntlet Missouri has this year. @ A&M, vs OU, @ Nebraska, @ Texas Tech consecutively. One or two games don't make a top team. It's consistently playing and beating top 40 teams and still being able to win those top 15 match ups. How often do you see a team make a big statement win and then lose within the next two weeks? The whole argument against playoffs is that every game matters and it's tough to go 11-1 or undefeated in a tough conference. Boise has 2-3 games each season, not exactly what champions are made of. I will never respect Boise until they join a real conference. The Mountain West is an upgrade, but with BYU leaving I'm not so sure it's a big difference from the WAC.

What conference do you suggest they join?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
The question is whether its more difficult to consistently face tough competition vs once in awhile. Boise just doesnt have to be perfect as often as a major conference title contender, which pads their record quite a bit. And you have no idea if they would get blown out, matchups are different with every team.

True, but do you not think it is reasonable to assume that if Boise were in a major conference and/or playing that type of schedule, they would have more money for better facilities, get better recruits and be able to compete? The playing field is not level and to hold Boise to a standard of the major programs that practically print money isn't fair. Hell, the BCS system in the bowls screws them by making them play TCU rather than splitting those two teams up and giving them a shot at the big boys. The big conference teams want to do everything they can to shut the Boise's and TCU's out and it is all about money. I don't see any of those programs offering Boise to play a home and home series, do you?

The bottom line is, if Boise keeps beating teams, you can't keep them out forever. If/when they do, all the big boys have to do is beat them and beat them soundly, put them back into their place. If Boise plays the little sisters of the poor 12 times, but is good enough to compete with the big boys, I don't care. Start beating teams like Boise and this argument stops.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
A brief playoff round would settle that...fwiw.

No it wouldn't. Then the argument would be they don't belong in the top 4 or 8 or whatever. The "controversy" would simply change to who isn't making the playoff. It would not go away.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 11, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
So just as one would expect, Kansas scores 14 points against GA Tech in the 1st quarter this week! Don't you just love the consistency of 18-22 yr olds? lol

GT's defense sucks...me, greg, SS2k, and jphat would be a better linebacking group.