Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

Robinson already almost has as many rushes in two games as he did the entire season last year.. Aside from the fact that Crist being out pretty much won the game for Michigan, there is zero chance that Robinson will be able to keep that pace up over the course of the Big 10 schedule.. eventually, that load is going to catch up to him.. you think he is going to carry the ball 30 times for 250 yards against Iowa? Ohio State? Wisconsin? yeah right..

Michigan better get what they can now, because their best weapon is a 190 lb QB who has to be the QB and the RB at the same time.. hes going to wear out, there's just no way he can carry the ball that many times a game and take all those hits and keep it up..

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
Because it is always popular to hate Michigan. People like to mock Rodriguez as well, forgetting their coach has probably done worse things. Lots of sports fans wear blinders.

Like which coach were you referring to that is under heat from the NCAA for multiple offenses at two different schools?

Maybe people think Michigan will be bad because they have been and will be?

Another Gator arrested, this time its Chris Rainey for stalking. Maybe Tennessee pulls of the upset this year??

link

edit--Forgot he has a concussion so his suspension will probably be for the games he isnt cleared medically.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
Like which coach were you referring to that is under heat from the NCAA for multiple offenses at two different schools?

Maybe people think Michigan will be bad because they have been and will be?

They have been bad for two years. All major programs with a string of success have gone through bad years whether it is coaching changes or recruiting problems. It happens.

Use your imagination on the first question.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
They have been bad for two years. All major programs with a string of success have gone through bad years whether it is coaching changes or recruiting problems. It happens.

Use your imagination on the first question.

I don't have to use my imagination since sanctions from the NCAA are public. Dickrod is the only one who is in trouble due to his actions at two universities as well as his outside businesses. There isn't a coach in the conference that has been worse or done worse things than him.

Frankly Michigan is better than what Rrod has given to them. This is the worst stretch of football this side of Fielding Yost that UM has seen and on top of it, he's begun to disgrace the school with scandal. Michigan and it's fans deserve better.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 05:05 AM)
Whoa, I dont know how I missed that the Iowa game is going to be at 9:30 on saturday night. Thats a huge plus.

Ya, for Arizona. That is going to be a really really tough game. Arizona is a strong team at home and has a pretty darn good offense. The game scares the hell out of me as a Hawkeye fan.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Lol. Did you seriously bring up the OSU game where they were completely dominated as a proof to why they are good? Your team is an avg team at best with Robinson, against ND they lose with their REDSHIRT freshman in for more than a half. Dickrod is gone after this year and their mediocre talent isn't going to win them the conference for at least the next 4 years.

How about you re-read my comment! OSU completely dominated Michigan by 11 points while getting 5 turnovers. The game was handed to you on a silver platter. But none of that matters. My point was the original poster acted as if Michigan can't get within 14 points, which they did with 2 of the 3 teams he mentioned. Stupid post. Yours comes in a close second. Unless of course, you would like to read the posts again and retract, rather than try to put words to my name. Hell, go ahead and just start posting for me. Its the same thing. :)

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 12, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
Michigan was a favorite over UCONN.

I knew someone would call me on that, however the vast majority of sports media picked UConn. The money line in Vegas is strictly a number to get both sides to bet evenly. Bookies want half the bettors wagering on each side so they can keep the juice. While you are technically correct, I would submit that most football people were picking UCONN at least in spirit proves my point, or at the least makes it a reasonable statement. Fair?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
Convenient you ignore the 21 and 25 point loses to Wisconsin and Penn State, as well as the loses to Mich St, Illinois and Purdue.

And really I meant this year, since I think you probably would agree that last year Michigan was not a top 25 team (at least I hope you would). This year is starting off the same - win against a team you should beat at home and a win against a much overrated and overhyped Notre Dame team. Last year Michigan ended up at 5-7. And I think that except for Penn St, the top of the Big Ten is even better this year.

Is Michigan better than last year? Maybe. But still not top 25.

I ignored nothing. I simply refuted the teams you named. Perhaps you should have done more homework before making your post? I never said Michigan was a top 25 team last year. Nor have I said they will be this year. Read my posts.

If you would like my personal belief, it is that Michigan is better this year than last. They have more depth than last year which will help them withstand some injuries they couldn't last year. On defense, they have holes, but they are quicker and tackle better. The secondary is thin and extremely inexperienced. There will be some ugly plays along the way. I'm optimistic they will be better than any of you are giving them credit for. but the proof is in the pudding. I'm not going to tout them as potential Big Ten Champions until they show they belong. After two games, I like the direction they are headed.

But anyone that infers they only have one player is missing a lot. Their receivers are solid and their backs catch the ball well out of the backfield. The offensive line is much better and deeper than it has been in the past 3 years. They have two RS frosh tackles that nearly beat out the incumbent junior and senior. Robinson is running for so many yards because that's what the defense is giving him. Watch the film. On read option plays with the zone blocking, most of the defenders are on the half of the line where the RB would go, so he keeps and has open space. That will change. They have good RB's, but no game breakers. They'll have to adjust. How well they do so will determine a lot. But understand when this offense is running well and the QB is reading it correctly, there is always a counter. The key is reading it correctly. That's where Robinson is much better than last year. Hopefully he'll keep getting better. With experience he will.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 02:11 AM)
Robinson already almost has as many rushes in two games as he did the entire season last year.. Aside from the fact that Crist being out pretty much won the game for Michigan, there is zero chance that Robinson will be able to keep that pace up over the course of the Big 10 schedule.. eventually, that load is going to catch up to him.. you think he is going to carry the ball 30 times for 250 yards against Iowa? Ohio State? Wisconsin? yeah right..

Michigan better get what they can now, because their best weapon is a 190 lb QB who has to be the QB and the RB at the same time.. hes going to wear out, there's just no way he can carry the ball that many times a game and take all those hits and keep it up..

He doesn't have to. The spread takes what the defense gives. Teams will adjust, so will Michigan. How well remains to be seen.

How quickly everyone forgets that Crist engineered 4 straight drives in the 2nd half that netted 2 first downs, 51 yaards and 0 points before the last TD to Rudolph, which was clearly a blown coverage. I'm not saying there wasn't a big difference between Crist and the others, but Crist led four scoring drives total and flopped on 5 others. And does Michigan not get credit for ringing his bell to the point he couldn't play?

ND may have won w/ Crist the whole game. They may not have. But MIchigan knocked his ass out of the rest of the first half and held him more than half his drives in the 2nd. Maybe just give UM a little credit? maybe?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
Bookies know more about sports than "experts". Bookies have accountability, "experts" dont.

As for the Michigan controversy, they are obviously better than their previous teams. But I think they at best are going to end up 5th in the Big 10, possibly worse.

Not really true. Vegas sets a line and it moves based on the action on that line. If they start a game at -7 and the betting is predominant on the favorite the line slides higher to attempt to get an equal number of people to bet the underdog. Often the lines are very close. Sometimes they aren't close to the actual result at all. Regardless of how accurate they are, the lines are simply made to try to even out the betting.

For those that don't understand betting, if you bet $50 on a game and lose, you pay $55. If you win, you get $50. If the same number of people win and lose on a game, then Vegas collects the $5 juice and deposits the cash with no risk. Vegas/bookies are only at risk when there are large amounts of money on one side and no bets on the other to even it out. A perfect examble is Mississippi State - Auburn last week. The game started with Auburn as a 3-4 point favorite, but by near game time, the line had moved to MSU -1 on some books. That movement had nothing to do with who they thought was going to win and everything to do with trying to balance the money.

I understand how betting works. Vegas wants to make sure that they get 50% on each side so that they get their take and always win. If bookies make bad lines they dont get action. If an "expert" makes a bad pick no one cares the next week.

But in general Bookie lines are far better than "expert" picks.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
I understand how betting works. Vegas wants to make sure that they get 50% on each side so that they get their take and always win. If bookies make bad lines they dont get action. If an "expert" makes a bad pick no one cares the next week.

But in general Bookie lines are far better than "expert" picks.

I understand your logic, but if that were the case, one would always pick the favorite to win. We're nitpicking here. I agree with you in principle, but when I read/see/hear 75-80% of sports media which include former coaches and players pick one team, I'm inclined to think they're the favorite. UM was favored on the betting line simply because more people are goig to put money on them at home than UCONN. Personally I think we can both be right here.

On another subject, please tell me Wisky is not going to let Steven Threet come to Madison and pull an upset. I'd be shocked if it happened, but I don't know ASU's personnel that well.

It shouldnt happen, but there it looks like Toon may not play which could really hurt the pass game. Wisconsin has made a few dumb plays each game, which have made the end score look closer than it was. They also have been using Clay less to ease him back from ankle surgery and to limit his carries before the Big 10.

Its hard to tell what ASU will bring because theyve played 2 FCS opponents. There is always a possibility that the more talented team lays an egg and something bad happens.

If Wisconsin can control the line of scrimmage on offense, they should be able to control the tempo of the game. If Borland comes back on defense they should play a lot better than last week. I hate to be overly confident because Ive just seen to many bad things happen.

On the other topic, just depends on how you define favorite. I dont really respect sports media personalities when it comes to picking games because they generally have bias. Michigan is one of those teams people generally love or hate, and its easy to try and pile on them when theyve been down.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)
I understand your logic, but if that were the case, one would always pick the favorite to win. We're nitpicking here. I agree with you in principle, but when I read/see/hear 75-80% of sports media which include former coaches and players pick one team, I'm inclined to think they're the favorite. UM was favored on the betting line simply because more people are goig to put money on them at home than UCONN. Personally I think we can both be right here.

On another subject, please tell me Wisky is not going to let Steven Threet come to Madison and pull an upset. I'd be shocked if it happened, but I don't know ASU's personnel that well.

It's easy to pick an "underdog" to win when you have nothing to lose on it. Every expert wants to pick that upset in hopes to validate themselves over other "experts". I would like to see how many "experts" would have picked UCONN if they had to bet money on it.

I've been gambling for 8+ years and I dont trust a damn thing these people in the media say. How do I know a certain book isnt asking an "expert" to side with a certain team to bring action on that side? In the first couple of weeks in college football, the public beats Vegas b/c the favorites cover.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 12:35 AM)
A perfect examble is Mississippi State - Auburn last week. The game started with Auburn as a 3-4 point favorite, but by near game time, the line had moved to MSU -1 on some books. That movement had nothing to do with who they thought was going to win and everything to do with trying to balance the money.

I think a lot of bettors talked themselves into MSU last week because of the whole "home underdog on Thursdays" trend. I know a few years ago home dogs were pretty good, especially SU, but it really has evened out the past year.

I still dont think the bookies have a grasp on the lines for this season yet. There are a few games I really like this weekend and I will be riding Hawaii again for sure.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
I think a lot of bettors talked themselves into MSU last week because of the whole "home underdog on Thursdays" trend. I know a few years ago home dogs were pretty good, especially SU, but it really has evened out the past year.

I still dont think the bookies have a grasp on the lines for this season yet. There are a few games I really like this weekend and I will be riding Hawaii again for sure.

I almost mentioned the home Thursday underdog thing. I think you're right, people jumped on that and it moved the line.

I watched the first drive for Notre Dame again three times tonight. I still can't understand the deal with Crist. There were a couple of times on that drive that he got popped pretty good, but after both the cameras were in close on his face and you saw no change in facial expressions. Generally, if someone is having vision problems they will blink naturally. The camera showed none of that with Crist. He looked completely normal. He did get popped pretty good when he made the completion to Rudolph on the second to last play of the drive, but the hit wasn't to the head.

I looked for any signs that he was fighting something or changing anyhting and saw nothing. Then, all of a sudden he has blurred vision and has to sit out the rest of the half. But then he's okay to come out and play in the second half? I want to take the team/trainer's word for it, but a clear explanation seems to be elusive. Even ESPN had a small piece on it and the whole article was quotes from Crist and none from ND. Am I wrong not buying what they are selling?