Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
I cant believe they gave us USC Washington. f***ing idiots

And Iowa is looking very tough at home.

The thing that might hurt Iowa come the end of the year is our lack of depth at RB. Sucks, since we looked to have an incredibly deep backfield to start the year (Robinson, Hampton, Wegher).

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was sweet to crush PSU. But the tough schedule will continue for Iowa and all of the big 10 (such a deep conference this year). PSU was the 1st of 4 straight ranked opponents.

Hopefully Iowa will take down the Wolverines next!!!!

I like how Dooley threw off his headset and tried to leave the field without shaking hands. Then in his conference tries to blame the officials for his team trying to play with not one but TWO extra guys. And yes, there was plenty of time to get the right personnel on and off the field (why are you changing personnel on the goal line?), that play wasn't really rushed, so it wasn't anyone's fault but the coaching staff. Stay classy, Dooley.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
I like how Dooley threw off his headset and tried to leave the field without shaking hands. Then in his conference tries to blame the officials for his team trying to play with not one but TWO extra guys. And yes, there was plenty of time to get the right personnel on and off the field (why are you changing personnel on the goal line?), that play wasn't really rushed, so it wasn't anyone's fault but the coaching staff. Stay classy, Dooley.

I will say that we f***ed ourselves by having too many men on the field.

BUT, I love that the officials didn't call a penalty on the LSU O-lineman who took him helmet off and threw it down before that final play was over. The whistle hadn't blown yet, so it should have been a personal foul for taking his helmet off mid-play. I'm not sure of the exact rule after that, but either: 1) offsetting penalties; or 2) half the distance to the goal on UT's penalty, and then push them back 15 yards for LSU's penalty. I highly doubt they convert that last un-timed play.

I don't think that there's any doubt the officials f***ed a lot of major things up in that game. If anyone remembers the officiating crew that was suspended by the SEC last year for f***ing up both the Florida-Arkansas and LSU-Georgia games, 4 of the 7 refs (including the head official) were from that same crew.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Will anyone hold Michigan to less than 30 points this year? Will Michigan hold anyone else on their schedule to less than 30? This team is not for the faint of heart.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Hawkeyes will in 2 weeks. But I could be wrong.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 11:16 PM)
Will anyone hold Michigan to less than 30 points this year? Will Michigan hold anyone else on their schedule to less than 30? This team is not for the faint of heart.

Defenses they've faced:

Total Defense Rankings

UCONN-51st

Notre Dame-89th

UMASS-FCS

Bowling Green-119th

Indiana-88th

They will play:

MSU-41st

Iowa-4th

PSU-18th

Illinois-37th

Purdue-58th

Wisconsin-25th

OSU-5th

Not to mention some of the strengths of those defenses is stopping the run, which is basically the Michigan attack since they rank 3rd:

Iowa-2nd-63.2 yards per game

OSU-8th-80.6 ypg

MSU-20th-101.2 ypg

Wisconsin-26th-110.6 ypg

PSU-31st-118.2 ypg

I would say there is a good chance one or more teams hold them under 30 points. Outside of Purdue, they haven't faced defensive teams as strong as the rest of their schedule. Then again, maybe they play up to competition and run those teams off the field.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
Defenses they've faced:

Total Defense Rankings

UCONN-51st

Notre Dame-89th

UMASS-FCS

Bowling Green-119th

Indiana-88th

They will play:

MSU-41st

Iowa-4th

PSU-18th

Illinois-37th

Purdue-58th

Wisconsin-25th

OSU-5th

Not to mention some of the strengths of those defenses is stopping the run, which is basically the Michigan attack since they rank 3rd:

Iowa-2nd-63.2 yards per game

OSU-8th-80.6 ypg

MSU-20th-101.2 ypg

Wisconsin-26th-110.6 ypg

PSU-31st-118.2 ypg

I would say there is a good chance one or more teams hold them under 30 points. Outside of Purdue, they haven't faced defensive teams as strong as the rest of their schedule. Then again, maybe they play up to competition and run those teams off the field.

They're not going to run anyone off the field because the best they can do is slow them down on defense. The beauty of this offense is if they make the right reads it is nearly impossible to stop. There is always somewhere to go with the ball. That's why they get so many long plays on short passes because teams have to cheat to stop the run. When Robinson runs on his own, its either in a read option where he reads the defensive end or tackle when they throw a wrinkle into it or when he uses the RB as an extra blocker giving them a numbers advantage. As soon as the secondary cheats to offset that advantage they throw of the top or a quick screen where he only has to beat one guy.

The only way I see them getting stopped for a whole game is either Robinson makes bad reads because the defense throws something at him that confuses him or they can stop the run without having to cheat guys into the box. Their DB's better be able to tackle in space too. I just don't see too many defensive lines that can dominate our O-Line to that extent. Keep in mind every run that only gains 2-3 yards is potentially setting something else up. I've gone back and rewatched games and its fun to watch. It's truly a numbers game with the defense and if the reads are right, any given play can go the distance.

I don't expect them to dominate the better teams and you are right, they are ahead on the schedule. But they'll score. To be safe, I'd plan on scoring at least 30 to beat them. 40 wouldn't hurt. At some point, special teams will bite them in the ass and they will lose a 37-34 type game. Maybe a few. But I don't see this team folding like a house of cards as last year's team did.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
They're not going to run anyone off the field because the best they can do is slow them down on defense. The beauty of this offense is if they make the right reads it is nearly impossible to stop. There is always somewhere to go with the ball. That's why they get so many long plays on short passes because teams have to cheat to stop the run. When Robinson runs on his own, its either in a read option where he reads the defensive end or tackle when they throw a wrinkle into it or when he uses the RB as an extra blocker giving them a numbers advantage. As soon as the secondary cheats to offset that advantage they throw of the top or a quick screen where he only has to beat one guy.

The only way I see them getting stopped for a whole game is either Robinson makes bad reads because the defense throws something at him that confuses him or they can stop the run without having to cheat guys into the box. Their DB's better be able to tackle in space too. I just don't see too many defensive lines that can dominate our O-Line to that extent. Keep in mind every run that only gains 2-3 yards is potentially setting something else up. I've gone back and rewatched games and its fun to watch. It's truly a numbers game with the defense and if the reads are right, any given play can go the distance.

I don't expect them to dominate the better teams and you are right, they are ahead on the schedule. But they'll score. To be safe, I'd plan on scoring at least 30 to beat them. 40 wouldn't hurt. At some point, special teams will bite them in the ass and they will lose a 37-34 type game. Maybe a few. But I don't see this team folding like a house of cards as last year's team did.

If you stop Robinson from running though, thats over 50 percent of the offense. They still have yet to play a team with a good defensive line and speed at the second level. I think we'll be able to gauge it better when they play Iowa. The read option is offset by defensive speed and good tacking and teams like Iowa and OSU have both. If I was a DC of a good team, I would make him throw all day long, because it will create turnovers and keeping their offense off the field isnt that much of a challenge since you can run against them. It will be interesting to see if Wisco tries to do just that with their running game.

I do think Iowa is the true test, by the time UM faces OSU, injuries may deplete the entire secondary.

Edited by RockRaines

I dont think Michigan will be stopped too much because Robinson is always a missed tackle away from a big run. But what may be the difference is in games against tougher defenses, those TD drives might start turning into FG drives.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
Notre Dame already held Michigan to under 30 points, so end debate. A bad Notre Dame team would have beaten that fraud of a team if Crist played the entire game.

Too bad you don't really have anything to prove that would of happened. Crist hasn't exactly been top notch vs other teams.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
Too bad you don't really have anything to prove that would of happened. Crist hasn't exactly been top notch vs other teams.

I have the fact that Notre Dame outscored Michigan 24-7 when he was in the game, and the fact that if you watched the game Michigan was not in the same league as ND when Crist was playing.

Doesn't matter though I know ND is bad, I just can't wait until big ten play destroys Michigan fans hopes once again. Your team is not good, and a bad ND defense was able to slow you down enough to make the game close without their starting QB for a half.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
ND is a fraud team and so is Michigan, with that said, Michigan is still a better squad.

How is Michigan a better squad? Ya they beat ND by 4, but ND had Nate Montana and Rees playing for a half and outscored Michigan 24-7 when their starter was in. So I still have yet to see any evidence to where they are definitely better then ND. Also how is ND a fraud if no one in the country think they're good. A fraud is a team with a good record that is bad, see 2010 Bears.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
ND is god awful. We'll leave it at that.

I hate ND but I wouldn't say they are God awful. Except for Stanford, they have been in every game so far.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
I hate ND but I wouldn't say they are God awful. Except for Stanford, they have been in every game so far.

Its not going to take ND very long to be a good team again. I think they have the coaching staff in place.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
How is Michigan a better squad? Ya they beat ND by 4, but ND had Nate Montana and Rees playing for a half and outscored Michigan 24-7 when their starter was in. So I still have yet to see any evidence to where they are definitely better then ND. Also how is ND a fraud if no one in the country think they're good. A fraud is a team with a good record that is bad, see 2010 Bears.

That's pretty weak. ND lost at home, injuries or not, that should be good enough to say which team is clearly better. Get over it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 12:11 AM)
That's pretty weak. ND lost at home, injuries or not, that should be good enough to say which team is clearly better. Get over it.

You didn't seem to think Alabama was clearly better then Texas after the National Championship last year, and by your logic here you should have. You can go take a look in last years NCAAF thread if you don't believe me.

In a 4 point game no matter where its played its hard to say that a team is clearly better then a team even without injuries.

All I'm saying is Notre Dame played close with Michigan and MSU both of whom are ranked, beat BC and Purdue, and got destroyed by a great Stanford team. Michigan beat a decent to good UCONN team 3 other cookies and played close with Notre Dame who didn't have their starting QB for an entire half. So if you think Michigan is clearly better then ND that's crazy.

Michigan and ND are both around the same level probably somewhere between 20-30th teams in the nation. Michigan might be better but they're not this beast team thats going to roll through the big ten and end up in the BCS like everyone seems to be acting. You need to stop 1 player to beat Michigan, great teams have more then one weapon. Notre Dame would be 5-0 or 4-1 if they played Michigan's current schedule so theres no way you can prove that Michigan is "clearly" better.