Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 11, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
There are a lot of BCS disaster scenarios in play right now. TCU/BSU are obvious threats to get in the NC game. Yes there is still hope for BSU even with other undefeateds. They can add a potential 11-1 Nevada team to their SOS.

Or else you can go for just the two undefeateds from the Big Ten. It would be fun to see the BCS/voters scramble that mess.

Or the complete disaster:

Oregon 12-0

Okla/Nebraska 13-0

Ohio State 12-0

Michigan State 12-0

TCU 12-0

BSU 12-0

LSU/Auburn 13-0

We can only hope. It seems like every year this is possible, and then there is one big weekend of craziness that kills it all.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 11, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
There are a lot of BCS disaster scenarios in play right now. TCU/BSU are obvious threats to get in the NC game. Yes there is still hope for BSU even with other undefeateds. They can add a potential 11-1 Nevada team to their SOS.

Or else you can go for just the two undefeateds from the Big Ten. It would be fun to see the BCS/voters scramble that mess.

Or the complete disaster:

Oregon 12-0

Okla/Nebraska 13-0

Ohio State 12-0

Michigan State 12-0

TCU 12-0

BSU 12-0

LSU/Auburn 13-0

TCU/Boise would have zero shot at a national title appearance if that happened.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
It seems like every year this is possible, and then there is one big weekend of craziness that kills it all.

Exactly. I don't think you can't expect it to happen ever. So many of these undefeateds look like frauds and will end up as afterthoughts.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/maga...gent/index.html

I haven't had a chance to read it all, but I heard on B&B that it's pretty good.

It's very good. Name drops all sorts of players...

But seriously, this really isn't all that surprising to me. I know a guy who's dad used to pay a decent college football player $400/month. From the moment I learned that, I knew tons of players were on the take.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 12, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
It's very good. Name drops all sorts of players...

But seriously, this really isn't all that surprising to me. I know a guy who's dad used to pay a decent college football player $400/month. From the moment I learned that, I knew tons of players were on the take.

At my alma mater they got around paying the players by loading up their student cards with cash. The players then could buy expensive items at the bookstore with their cards and return the items for cash instead of credit. Alot of players would make several hundred bucks a week by doing this.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
Seriously, as an ISU fan, it's not relevant to me.

Either is actually having a football team. But to most folks it would be relevant. A tourney would make it easier for non-traditional BCS schools to get a shot at a national title.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
A tourney would make it easier for non-traditional BCS schools to get a shot at a national title.

Uh no it wouldn't..

A tourny is the dumbest idea ever, unless you wanna see the same teams playing for a national title every year.. at least with the current system a team like Boise or TCU has a chance.. with a tourny there is no way they would ever get to a title game..

QUOTE (T R U @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
Uh no it wouldn't..

A tourny is the dumbest idea ever, unless you wanna see the same teams playing for a national title every year.. at least with the current system a team like Boise or TCU has a chance.. with a tourny there is no way they would ever get to a title game..

Why is that? Is they are truly the best team in the nation they would make the tournament and be able to advance to the title game. In the current format, if they go undefeated and 2 others teams do they have ZERO chance to win the title.

QUOTE (T R U @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
at least with the current system a team like Boise or TCU has a chance.. with a tourny there is no way they would ever get to a title game..

Why wouldn't they have a chance, because they'd lose before getting to the title game? Well, first I think Boise would disagree (Statue of liberty play!), but more importantly...if they can't beat a top 5 team in the semifinals they don't belong in the finals. At least we'd be guaranteed a chance to know whether they could stand up to a top 5 team, and if they could, they'd still have a shot at the tropy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
At least we'd be guaranteed a chance to know whether they could stand up to a top 5 team, and if they could, they'd still have a shot at the tropy.

We had that chance last year and they dropped the ball..

There is just no way that Boise could beat Nebraska, Oregon, Ohio State in consecutive weeks.. a tournament kills their chances at ever getting a National Title..

QUOTE (T R U @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
We had that chance last year and they dropped the ball..

There is just no way that Boise could beat Nebraska, Oregon, Ohio State in consecutive weeks.. a tournament kills their chances at ever getting a National Title..

Then they arent the best team in the country and dont deserve a national title. A tournament would guarantee the best team in the country wins the prize of being called the best.

And a quick edit, you almost just said that Boise couldnt win the Big Ten conference, which would mean, they wouldnt even be in the picture in the first place with the current system since they couldnt even win one of the major conferences.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
A tournament would guarantee the best team in the country wins the prize of being called the best.

lol, yes every playoff in sports history has had the best team win..

The BCS guarantees that 2 of the best 3 teams at LEAST are playing for a National Title.. all a playoff does is make the regular season slightly less meaningful and gives ANY team a chance to get hot and win a National Title..

I prefer the current system where you have to pretty much be flawless to get that Title game..

QUOTE (T R U @ Oct 13, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
lol, yes every playoff in sports history has had the best team win..

The BCS guarantees that 2 of the best 3 teams at LEAST are playing for a National Title.. all a playoff does is make the regular season slightly less meaningful and gives ANY team a chance to get hot and win a National Title..

I prefer the current system where you have to pretty much be flawless to get that Title game..

Flawless in your schedule whatever that may be. You even just said yourself that a team like Boise couldnt make it through tough teams in back to back weeks, so why would they deserve to go to a title game if they win their crappy conference. At least with a playoff a team would have to win its way through similar competition to win. And it would prove alot more who the best team in the country is. You make fun of playoff systems, but what other sport has a championship where computers and polls decide who plays for a title?

And let me add to this. If I was a fan of a small school not in a BCS conference, i would hate any system where I have to count on other teams losing for my team to have a chance at not only a championship, but a good bowl game. A playoff system that takes the top teams and makes them play each other would put my team in the driver's seat and would make the regular season just as important as it is now. IN fact I dont see a single reason why a playoff system would cheapen the regular season at all, because you still have to qualify for one of those top 8 spots or so.

Edited by RockRaines