Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
Well they will be number 1 but I think OU should be the top ranked team.

Just because of what they did to Florida State? OU has 4 wins by one score. They don't have style points right now, even though their schedule is solid. I think it's hard to judge the Sooners right now.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)
Just because of what they did to Florida State? OU has 4 wins by one score. They don't have style points right now, even though their schedule is solid. I think it's hard to judge the Sooners right now.

They rolled FSU and beat Texas in a game they controlled for the most part until late.

What has anyone else done this year?

Oregon---has played no one outside of Stanford and I still question where Stanford ranks against top 25 teams.

TCU---best win is against Oregon St who is 3-3

Boise---lol

Auburn---The Arkansas game was closer then the score indicates. Looked bad vs Miss St and UK. Also should have lost vs Clemson and could have lost vs South Carolina.

QUOTE (T R U @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 02:24 AM)
OU has been as lackluster as anyone else you mentioned..

I've never said they havent looked lackluster at times. Really only TCU and Boise havent looked lackluster during games this year because they've played no one with a crap.

But I'm sure youre going to say Boise deserves to be number 1 because of their recent wins over Toledo,New Mexico St and San Jose St. God forbid they play anyone touch in consecutive weeks because that just wouldnt be fair.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 16, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
They rolled FSU and beat Texas in a game they controlled for the most part until late.

What has anyone else done this year?

Oregon---has played no one outside of Stanford and I still question where Stanford ranks against top 25 teams.

TCU---best win is against Oregon St who is 3-3

Boise---lol

Auburn---The Arkansas game was closer then the score indicates. Looked bad vs Miss St and UK. Also should have lost vs Clemson and could have lost vs South Carolina.

Stanford is one of the best teams in the country with arguably the most talented QB in the country. They are a very good team and that was a huge win for Oregon. The big problem with Oregon is they have not had a complete game yet. They've made mistakes but offensively they are incredibly gifted as is Stanford. Pac 10 has quite a few legitimate teams (Stanford, Oregon, and Arizona are all legitimate top 20 teams and I tend to think all three are legit top 15 teams, despite Arizona's one loss to OSU (solid but not that great, imo).

Big 12 is so weak that I can't say OU is #1 right now, but part of that is because I don't think Texas is that good, albeit they (Texas) had a nice win against Nebraska. I don't buy into FSU being that great yet, more that I think Miami was over-rated.

Big 10 is where it is at this year, imo. The conference is stacked (OSU, MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa are all top 15 caliber teams as of this point in time and than you have Northwester (top 25 team), Michigan, and Penn State which are quality teams). Minnesota is the only true POS team in the conference right now with Illinois being the 2nd worse team in the conference, imo, although Indiana might drop to that point as there defense is terrible and the offense isn't good enough to score consistently against quality defensive teams. And than Purdue is a mediocre team that might have an upset this year but will make a bowl.

I'd probably still say OSU is the best, followed closely by Iowa (if we had more depth at RB I'd feel much more confident), but that could all change in a week. I need to see MSU keep winning against good opponents but so far they had that huge win against Wiscy. And Wiscy has a shot to overshoot everyone in my minds with a win this week @ Iowa (you beat Iowa and Ohio State and you are a top 7 team in the country as far as I'm concerned).

Boise State would have at least 3 losses playing in the big 10 this year and it is why I hope they continue to get screwed out of the national championship. It isn't fair but as long as only two teams get to play than I want the 2 teams that have had to go through a gauntlet and still have a good record to be playing, not the team that gets to beat up on a bunch of s*** teams and than plays 1 good teams and 1 mediocre team the rest of the year (in there so called big games).

As college football continues to have more quality teams and parody (which is the case), it becomes increasingly more important to have a true playoff system (even if it is 8 teams) because I think there are 8 teams who might be the best in the country right now and they should get a shot to play, even if they did lose 1 game in a series of quality games to a good opponent (that doens't make them not the best, just makes them human).

Ugh hungover.

What happened to my Buckeyes that beat Oregon and Miami? The smallish faster defense just got their faces Big Ten'd on national TV. Knew this was the game that would make or break their season. Another big test in Iowa city awaits.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 02:16 AM)
I've never said they havent looked lackluster at times. Really only TCU and Boise havent looked lackluster during games this year because they've played no one with a crap.

But I'm sure youre going to say Boise deserves to be number 1 because of their recent wins over Toledo,New Mexico St and San Jose St. God forbid they play anyone touch in consecutive weeks because that just wouldnt be fair.

TCU didnt look good against Colorado St.

Boise has looked good, but like you said they haven't played anyone outside of Va Tech and Oregon State..

And no, Boise shouldn't be #1.. Oregon has been the most impressive team so far this year

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
Hopefully everyone keeps losing, get Boise to the NC!

While I think it would be cool to see Boise there, if they played a power-conference schedule, they would have three or four losses. Still a solid team, but not national-championship worthy. But hey, I am all for seeing them there.

I'd prefer to see TCU in the NC. Love the Horned Frogs.

Couple of thoughts:

OSU isn't overrated. Terrell Pryor proves he always was though. I still can't believe the hype that surrounded him in high school.

Wisconsin is a really good team.

Iowa will beat down Wisconsin.

Boise blows and deserves nothing. The two teams who they faced who were supposed to make them look good are mediocre. That is Nevada and VTech. And keep in mind, VaTech pushed themt o the limit.

OU is not a strong team. Any other year they wouldn't be #1.

College Football as a whole is pretty weak this year. I pretty much have no interest in it other than seeing an Oregon and TCU NC.

I really doubt Iowa "beats down" Wisconsin.

Iowa may win (Wisconsin historically does not play Iowa well), but I cant see a beat down. Wisconsin's offense has just to many weapons. Barring a complete mental breakdown it most likely ends as a 1 possession game.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
I'd prefer to see TCU in the NC. Love the Horned Frogs.

Couple of thoughts:

OSU isn't overrated. Terrell Pryor proves he always was though. I still can't believe the hype that surrounded him in high school.

Wisconsin is a really good team.

Iowa will beat down Wisconsin.

Boise blows and deserves nothing. The two teams who they faced who were supposed to make them look good are mediocre. That is Nevada and VTech. And keep in mind, VaTech pushed themt o the limit.

OU is not a strong team. Any other year they wouldn't be #1.

College Football as a whole is pretty weak this year. I pretty much have no interest in it other than seeing an Oregon and TCU NC.

The same TCU team that couldn't even beat Boise last year? Boise is pretty much the same team, TCU lost some big defensive guys but they returned a lot as well.. I don't see how much is different and would take Boise over TCU again if they played which I hope to GOD we don't have to see again.. its time to put these "BCS Busters" against legit opponents..

I agree with you about OU, and I wouldn't say Va Tech is mediocre.. a lot of people said the same thing about the 07 Michigan team after they started 0-2 and they still ended 9-4 with a win over the Florida Tebows in the Capital One Bowl..

Look at Va Techs remaining schedule.. Duke, Ga Tech, UNC, Miami, Virginia.. I dunno maybe they lose to Miami, but there is a very good chance they are playing for the ACC title and a possible 10+ win season..

QUOTE (T R U @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
The same TCU team that couldn't even beat Boise last year? Boise is pretty much the same team, TCU lost some big defensive guys but they returned a lot as well.. I don't see how much is different and would take Boise over TCU again if they played which I hope to GOD we don't have to see again.. its time to put these "BCS Busters" against legit opponents..

I agree with you about OU, and I wouldn't say Va Tech is mediocre.. a lot of people said the same thing about the 07 Michigan team after they started 0-2 and they still ended 9-4 with a win over the Florida Tebows in the Capital One Bowl..

Look at Va Techs remaining schedule.. Duke, Ga Tech, UNC, Miami, Virginia.. I dunno maybe they lose to Miami, but there is a very good chance they are playing for the ACC title and a possible 10+ win season..

The ACC is trash. A record in that conference is meaningless.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
The ACC is trash. A record in that conference is meaningless.

so, the WAC is trash too and Boise still gets credit for their wins.. the Big East is trash but one of those teams gets an auto BCS bid..

10+ wins and a conference title will mean something, especially from one of the big ones

Remember when everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY, I can't remember one person who liked the hire) laughed at Auburn for hiring Gene Chizik? And Charles Barkely implied it was racist since they didn't hire Turner Gill? Yeah, ummm, oops. That's what the Auburn AD has his job, and we don't.

And I refuse to get all up in a tizzy over the first BCS standings. There is a lot of stuff that is still going to play out before everything is said and done.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 17, 2010 -> 03:39 AM)
Minnesota is the only true POS team in the conference right now with Illinois being the 2nd worse team in the conference

I'm not letting this slide. s*** I mean I know we aren't great or anything, but we're the 2nd worst team in the conference? Penn St (beat them on the road), Indiana (beat nobody, rolled by OSU when we weren't), Northwestern (should have lost to Minnesota)?

Cmon Jason.

Well Illinois has Indiana and Purdue at home the next two weeks, so we'll find out some things. I fully expect Illinois to win both of those though, and with the defense Illinois has, I think it's more than reasonable to say they'll win at Michigan too. Illinois really should finish with no less than 7 wins based on what they've shown so far and the schedule they have left, and they're capable of winning any game left. I don't think they will though, and 7-5 or 8-4 seems more reasonable (although anything from 6-6 to 9-3 wouldn't surprise me, even though those assume either 0-3 or 3-0 on the road to finish out, and both of those would be a mild upset). I'd be pretty surprised if Illinois loses again at home though. Either way, Illinois is CLEARLY better than Penn State, just for starters.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
I really doubt Iowa "beats down" Wisconsin.

Iowa may win (Wisconsin historically does not play Iowa well), but I cant see a beat down. Wisconsin's offense has just to many weapons. Barring a complete mental breakdown it most likely ends as a 1 possession game.

Iowa doesn't have much depth in the backfield so anything happens to Robinson and they are in trouble. I'd bet on Iowa but I expect it to be a tough, physical game, and if Iowa doesn't protect the ball they will lose.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
I'm not letting this slide. s*** I mean I know we aren't great or anything, but we're the 2nd worst team in the conference? Penn St (beat them on the road), Indiana (beat nobody, rolled by OSU when we weren't), Northwestern (should have lost to Minnesota)?

Cmon Jason.

Illinois is not better than Nothwestern. I did state that I thought Illinois could pass OSU and I still think PSU is better, they are just hindered by there freshman QB.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
Well Illinois has Indiana and Purdue at home the next two weeks, so we'll find out some things. I fully expect Illinois to win both of those though, and with the defense Illinois has, I think it's more than reasonable to say they'll win at Michigan too. Illinois really should finish with no less than 7 wins based on what they've shown so far and the schedule they have left, and they're capable of winning any game left. I don't think they will though, and 7-5 or 8-4 seems more reasonable (although anything from 6-6 to 9-3 wouldn't surprise me, even though those assume either 0-3 or 3-0 on the road to finish out, and both of those would be a mild upset). I'd be pretty surprised if Illinois loses again at home though. Either way, Illinois is CLEARLY better than Penn State, just for starters.

If that happens, I'll change my stance.