Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

Hard to predict where Iowa will end up because of how BRUTAL their remaining home schedule is. Even the game at Northwestern isn't a walk in the park either. Outside of absolutely s***ting their pants in the 1st half at Arizona though, Iowa has been very impressive, so they're capable of winning out. But if they dent the loss column again with that schedule, it would be understandable, even with the three toughest games at home.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 11:52 PM)
If that happens, I'll change my stance.

The freshman QB is definitely hindering the offense, but they are pretty strong on defense and at running the ball, and also have a strong field goal kicker to aid them in close games. If that isn't enough for them to win out at home and steal one of their remaining road games to get them to 7 wins, I'd be pretty surprised.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
Hard to predict where Iowa will end up because of how BRUTAL their remaining home schedule is. Even the game at Northwestern isn't a walk in the park either. Outside of absolutely s***ting their pants in the 1st half at Arizona though, Iowa has been very impressive, so they're capable of winning out. But if they dent the loss column again with that schedule, it would be understandable, even with the three toughest games at home.

If they win those games, they should shoot up the rankings. Only mistake they have made this year was that deplorable first half to Arizona and even than they almost won the game. And it isn't like Arizona is some s*** team.

When the season is done, Iowa is going to have one hell of a tough schedule which should help them in the BCS (if they play well and finish strong). But it is going to be one serious gauntlet, even though the toughest games are at home.

Oh and NU scares me because there offense matches up very well against Iowa and they historically have been a thorn in Iowa's side.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
Remember when everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY, I can't remember one person who liked the hire) laughed at Auburn for hiring Gene Chizik? And Charles Barkely implied it was racist since they didn't hire Turner Gill? Yeah, ummm, oops. That's what the Auburn AD has his job, and we don't.

I won't say I liked the hire, but it wasn't like Chizik was bad at Iowa State. I think he was average there, but he wasn't there long and you just didn't know about him. Hard to evaluate a guy after 3 years at any school, but you can't compare what a coach can do at Iowa State and what a coach can do at Auburn.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
Illinois is not better than Nothwestern. I did state that I thought Illinois could pass OSU and I still think PSU is better, they are just hindered by there freshman QB.

We're kind of hindered by a freshman QB, too...

Either way, he's still part of their team.

BTW what has NW done to impress you? I think our game will be close either way.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 12:25 AM)
Remember when everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY, I can't remember one person who liked the hire) laughed at Auburn for hiring Gene Chizik? And Charles Barkely implied it was racist since they didn't hire Turner Gill? Yeah, ummm, oops. That's what the Auburn AD has his job, and we don't.

And I refuse to get all up in a tizzy over the first BCS standings. There is a lot of stuff that is still going to play out before everything is said and done.

lol, I've probably mentioned that atleast 5 times over the past couple of weeks to friends. It seems like some people owe others an apology.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 02:54 AM)
I won't say I liked the hire, but it wasn't like Chizik was bad at Iowa State. I think he was average there, but he wasn't there long and you just didn't know about him. Hard to evaluate a guy after 3 years at any school, but you can't compare what a coach can do at Iowa State and what a coach can do at Auburn.

I agree that it's hard to evaluate a guy before about his 4th or 5th year at a school, and Auburn isn't Iowa State. But still, 5-19 is 5-19.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 21, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Gotta like what Oregon showed tonight. Really impressive stuff.

UCLA is absolutely terrible though. I still have no idea how they beat Texas and the fact that Texas than beat Nebraska stunned me, because any team which loses to UCLA has some sort of problems (especially when you lose to a team who threw the ball like 6 times total).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
UCLA is absolutely terrible though. I still have no idea how they beat Texas and the fact that Texas than beat Nebraska stunned me, because any team which loses to UCLA has some sort of problems (especially when you lose to a team who threw the ball like 6 times total).

There is simply zero defense played in the Pac Ten. Oregon's offense looks great against those teams.

I love watching Illinois play defense. The dline has been dominant and they have playmakers at all 3 levels of the defense. If Liuget and Martez Wilson come back next year Illinois will have a chance to have a really special season (in part due to a schedule that sets up perfectly for a great season, weak non-conference schedule plus not playing Iowa, MSU or Nebraska).

another team(Iowa) f***s themselves by crappy time management. Coming out of a TO, how does Iowa not be ready to spike it once the play starts?

Amazing how many teams screw themselves in the final seconds of these games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
So at what point does ND stop scheduling Navy and replace them with a more beatable opponent?

Never

Notre Dame, like many colleges, faced severe financial difficulties during World War II. The US Navy made Notre Dame a training center and paid enough for usage of the facilities to keep the University afloat. Notre Dame has since extended an open invitation for Navy to play the Irish in football and considers the game annual repayment on a debt of honor. The series is marked by mutual respect, as evidenced by each team standing at attention during the playing of the other's alma mater after the game, a tradition that started in 2005. Navy's athletic director, on renewing the series through 2016, remarked "...it is of great interest to our collective national audience of Irish fans, Naval Academy alumni, and the Navy family at large." The series is scheduled to continue indefinitely; renewals are a mere formality.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
another team(Iowa) f***s themselves by crappy time management. Coming out of a TO, how does Iowa not be ready to spike it once the play starts?

Amazing how many teams screw themselves in the final seconds of these games.

On top of it, Iowa f***ed itself on both of its losses by missing extra points. Uggh. Nice job by Wiscy though, s*** though, what a heartbreaker.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
I love watching Illinois play defense. The dline has been dominant and they have playmakers at all 3 levels of the defense. If Liuget and Martez Wilson come back next year Illinois will have a chance to have a really special season (in part due to a schedule that sets up perfectly for a great season, weak non-conference schedule plus not playing Iowa, MSU or Nebraska).

We're the 2nd worst team in the big ten according to Jason, don't get too excited.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 08:03 PM)
We're the 2nd worst team in the big ten according to Jason, don't get too excited.

Penn State is now the 2nd worse team and the Illini are starting to prove themselves. They got a nice defense, suspected offense, but with there schedule they are prime to make a bowl and have a quality season. I think they are right there with NU, Purdue, and Michigan.

MSU, Wiscy, Iowa, OSU are all better. So that gives the Illini the shot at being the 5th best team in the conference.

Note: I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
Penn State is now the 2nd worse team and the Illini are starting to prove themselves. They got a nice defense, suspected offense, but with there schedule they are prime to make a bowl and have a quality season. I think they are right there with NU, Purdue, and Michigan.

MSU, Wiscy, Iowa, OSU are all better. So that gives the Illini the shot at being the 5th best team in the conference.

Note: I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong :)

Hey, I have to call you out when we are actually not complete horses***.

PS: Spike the ball