Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

C'mon, do you really think a BCS team is going to schedule Boise this time of year? Hell no. They want Directional U for homecoming, if they have a break in their conference schedule. Boise is able to schedule teams early because that is when teams will play them. You don't see Florida or Alabama scheduling a home and home with a Big Ten school on their off date in October or November. It's the same principle. I can't believe I am defending them as much as I am, but let's use some common sense here. Boise does not have as much control over these things and we might hope. I don't see a whole lot of BCS teams knocking down the door to travel to Idaho.

What point are you trying to make with this? Are you ripping on an Alabama for playing a Georgia St in week 10 instead of scheduling Boise? Dont you think after playing teams like South Carolina,Florida,Arkansas,LSU and before Auburn a team deserves a break?

Boise plays basically 10 directional schools every year. Teams dont want to play huge OOC games in week 1. But we see BCS conference teams playing other BCS teams all the time in week 2 of a season.

Miami/OSU

Alabama/Penn St

FSU/OU

Oregon/Tennessee

USC/Virginia

Florida/South Florida

Georgia Tech/Kansas

But we dont see Boise. You want to defend Boise about teams not playing them but they only want to play on their terms. They want the opening weekend to be healthy and to possibly catch a team not clicking yet. Then they want to play a BCS team a few weeks later so they can spend another month selling out for 1 game. In the meantime, BCS teams are about to start their conference slate and they want to focus on that so they schedule a weaker team.

When you back yourself into playing games in only weeks 1 and 4, you dont leave yourself with many options. And when you cant get teams to agree to your demands, you cry that you can find opponents.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And college football in 2010 is not comparable with college football in 1970 IMO. Boise makes more money by staying in the BCS discussion every year with their current scheduling than they would losing at a good school in their one or two big games a year (assuming they can find a team to play them).

This is why we need an 8 team playoff. If they stink, they'll get beat. If they're good, they'll win and prove everyone wrong. Simple as that.

I'm not comparing football from 2010 to 1970. I'm saying if Boise is going to cry about being left out of the title game then they need to give up their demands and start playing top tier teams on the road. Go play Alabama and not ask for a return date. Or maybe do a 2 for 1 series with them. So then they would have a stronger argument if they win those games and still get left out.

And if they are good then they'll win those regular season games and still make the money by going to a BCS bowl game. If they lose then they really dont belong to be there in the first place.

Imagine if Notre Dame decided to join C-USA. ND gets 8 easy conference games, schedules 2 MAC teams, keeps Michigan and then adds an mid level BCS team like Pitt to their yearly schedule. People would be ripping them apart for that. But since it's Boise, its ok.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
I'm not comparing football from 2010 to 1970. I'm saying if Boise is going to cry about being left out of the title game then they need to give up their demands and start playing top tier teams on the road. Go play Alabama and not ask for a return date. Or maybe do a 2 for 1 series with them. So then they would have a stronger argument if they win those games and still get left out.

And if they are good then they'll win those regular season games and still make the money by going to a BCS bowl game. If they lose then they really dont belong to be there in the first place.

Imagine if Notre Dame decided to join C-USA. ND gets 8 easy conference games, schedules 2 MAC teams, keeps Michigan and then adds an mid level BCS team like Pitt to their yearly schedule. People would be ripping them apart for that. But since it's Boise, its ok.

You are making all the points I would make.

BUt really we are talking about boise when we should be talking about Mizzou, everyone. Come on. They're great. TJ Moe. I digress.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
Let's not act like they've been knocking off ranked teams non stop. Since 2000 they are 6-7 vs top 25 teams and their only win vs a top 5 team was against TCU last season.

That's better than the vast majority of major programs in the country. I'm not saying Boise is some traditional powerhouse, but they're a good program (better than most) and they deserve, at some point, a shot at the big boys. It should have happened last year, but maybe it will this year.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)

How is this different than what ND is doing now? 8 easy games might be a stretch, but most years they can get to 6 wins pretty easily. Navy, Army, Purdue, western/central/eastern whoever, etc.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
How is this different than what ND is doing now? 8 easy games might be a stretch, but most years they can get to 6 wins pretty easily. Navy, Army, Purdue, western/central/eastern whoever, etc.

Disagreed. Army and Navy are easy. Eastern, Western, etc. are usually two gimme's. But they schedule teams like Michigan, USC, Purdue, Michigan State, etc. I'd say more than half their schedule is pretty decent. Now they don't schedule #1 ranked teams every year, but they usually have a top 5 team, a few top 25's, and fill out their schedule. I'd say only about 4 games all year are pretty easy ones.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)
That's better than the vast majority of major programs in the country. I'm not saying Boise is some traditional powerhouse, but they're a good program (better than most) and they deserve, at some point, a shot at the big boys. It should have happened last year, but maybe it will this year.

Well, they can have their chance if they run the table and teams in better conferences with tougher schedules lose enough games to put BSU in the top 2. And better than the vast majority? Eh. I am not sure they are better year in and year out than the VAST majority of major BCS schools. They have a very good record in their conference year in and year out thats for sure. But there are teams like Marshall that dominated a mid major conference for years (5 titles in 8 years) (10-3, 12-1, 13-0, 11-2) and moved to a larger conference and couldnt compete on the same level. Boise has had similar records and caliber of players (2 first round draft picks, 2 pro bowl players) as a team like Marshall, but has largely lived feasting on the same weak competition year after year. Trying to say that they are better than a "vast" majority of major programs is a bit outlandish and frankly impossibly to deduce just from their record. If you compare the caliber of players that Boise has in the NFL compared to other schools that you may consider not as good as Boise base on record, you may be surprised. For example, Baylor has more NFL players than Boise.

My point is, you cant really use their record as a way to judge how they stack up against schools that routinely face better competition every week. They just dont have to face tests nearly as often as major conference schools and I think their record reflects that greatly. I would have really preferred that they moved into a better conference than the MWC like they are in 2011, but at least that will give them a little more legitimacy throughout the season.

Edited by RockRaines

Well you cant blame Boise for not going to the Big 12 or Pac 10, I cant imagine either of those conferences would want Boise.

Also if you want me to consider your team legitimate, you gotta get rid of gimmick things like smurf turf. They shouldnt need a turf advantage to beat these teams.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
I can't believe we haven't seen Heads mention the ISU win over Texas. That has to be the biggest win they've had in years.

Yup, and I was there for all of it.

With games against Kansas and Colorado left, there's no excuse not to go bowling again.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
Well you cant blame Boise for not going to the Big 12 or Pac 10, I cant imagine either of those conferences would want Boise.

Also if you want me to consider your team legitimate, you gotta get rid of gimmick things like smurf turf. They shouldnt need a turf advantage to beat these teams.

I agree on both points. Boise doesn't have better conference options because neither the Pac 10 nor the Big 12 are extending invitations. Unfortunately that is out of their control.

And I can't watch a game on that stupid blue turf.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 07:34 AM)
I agree on both points. Boise doesn't have better conference options because neither the Pac 10 nor the Big 12 are extending invitations. Unfortunately that is out of their control.

And I can't watch a game on that stupid blue turf.

If I was a BCS conference inviting Boise, that would be clause #1. It looks terrible on TV.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
Well, they can have their chance if they run the table and teams in better conferences with tougher schedules lose enough games to put BSU in the top 2. And better than the vast majority? Eh. I am not sure they are better year in and year out than the VAST majority of major BCS schools. They have a very good record in their conference year in and year out thats for sure. But there are teams like Marshall that dominated a mid major conference for years (5 titles in 8 years) (10-3, 12-1, 13-0, 11-2) and moved to a larger conference and couldnt compete on the same level. Boise has had similar records and caliber of players (2 first round draft picks, 2 pro bowl players) as a team like Marshall, but has largely lived feasting on the same weak competition year after year. Trying to say that they are better than a "vast" majority of major programs is a bit outlandish and frankly impossibly to deduce just from their record. If you compare the caliber of players that Boise has in the NFL compared to other schools that you may consider not as good as Boise base on record, you may be surprised. For example, Baylor has more NFL players than Boise.

My point is, you cant really use their record as a way to judge how they stack up against schools that routinely face better competition every week. They just dont have to face tests nearly as often as major conference schools and I think their record reflects that greatly. I would have really preferred that they moved into a better conference than the MWC like they are in 2011, but at least that will give them a little more legitimacy throughout the season.

My point was that going 6-7 against top 25 competition is a better clip than that vast majority of the BCS teams out there, so to say that they can't win with the big boys isn't accurate. They can, and they've proven it. That doesn't mean they can hang with the top 5 teams in the country every single year, but I think they are deserving of a shot at one of those teams in a meaningful game at some point. They won a few years ago against Oklahoma, and then they got screwed last year going up against TCU (in that they were scheduled to play TCU instead of another team).

All the more reason why a playoff is needed. We shouldn't have to discuss which teams are better than others based on factors like quality wins or strength of schedule. We should let them play and figure it out on the field.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
Going to South Bend this weekend to visit some friends. Is there such thing as a cheap ticket at ND for games like Tulsa? I'd imagine not. I'll probably just watch the game at a bar somewhere.

For that game you should be able to get a ticket for 50-60 dollars outside the stadium right before kickoff if you want to push your luck. At most you'd pay like 75 bucks outside the stadium because thats what they've been going for all year, and I've been there 3 times this year to back this up.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 08:04 AM)
For that game you should be able to get a ticket for 50-60 dollars outside the stadium right before kickoff if you want to push your luck. At most you'd pay like 75 bucks outside the stadium because thats what they've been going for all year, and I've been there 3 times this year to back this up.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. :cheers

Missouri's schedule is exactly the reason why Boise should never play for a national title. You beat OU and Nebraska back to back weeks and then the south champ later in the season and you can play for a title. None of this La Tech on Tuesday bulls***.

Blah