Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kelly can't possibly make it out of this season right? Between what happened during the week and now the bad season, I can't argue against it. I'm mostly basing this on the tragedy that was mismanaged because I wouldn't normally support a year one firing. Am I just bitter because Mizzou is playing like crap or is this a valid possibility?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
Kelly can't possibly make it out of this season right? Between what happened during the week and now the bad season, I can't argue against it. I'm mostly basing this on the tragedy that was mismanaged because I wouldn't normally support a year one firing. Am I just bitter because Mizzou is playing like crap or is this a valid possibility?

They're playing without the starting QB, RB,& TE since 4 weeks ago, and have an injured #1 WR.

I think he gets this year as slack.

If he doesn't win more next year, then compete for a BCS berth by year 3, then there will be talk.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)

I totally agree that Kelly should be fired. The bad season gets a little pass for year 1 but when you add that he is responsible for the death of the video guy, he should be fired.

Doubt he will get fired though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
They're playing without the starting QB, RB,& TE since 4 weeks ago, and have an injured #1 WR.

I think he gets this year as slack.

If he doesn't win more next year, then compete for a BCS berth by year 3, then there will be talk.

Performance wise sure, but I really think the student dying could blow up on him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)

There is no way they fire him. They are still paying or have just paid Charlie a ton of money, they aren't going to be paying 3 guys. Plus, they at least give him 2-3 recruiting classes unless they have some out in his contract and thought he was responsible for the student dying. I am a ND hater so there probably is at least a little prejudice, but Kelly seems like a snake to me.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
I don't see how it's his fault the student died.... he chose to practice in the wind, I'm sure a lot of coaches would have done the same thing... whoever constructed the tower that fell over or whoever conducts the safety inspections are the one to blame.

Practicing in the wind is nothing. Having your video guy taping your practice that high up with those wind gusts is dumb. He should have told the kid to come down. Plus the AD was there too, so he should have said something too.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
I don't see how it's his fault the student died.... he chose to practice in the wind, I'm sure a lot of coaches would have done the same thing... whoever constructed the tower that fell over or whoever conducts the safety inspections are the one to blame.

What?

If the wind was blowing 600 mph, would you be saying the same thing?

From all accounts, it wasn't a technical problem. It was a common sense one.

Jim Tressel was quoted on Tuesday that part of the reason he made practice indoors was because of his video people. “I don’t know if we’ll be inside or out,” Tressel told Ohio reporters 24 hours before the Notre Dame tragedy. “It looks a little nasty. I worry about our cameramen, their well-being up there 50 feet in the air.” Also, the makers of the lift the kid was on provide a warning that no one should be on the lift when winds are over 25 mph. The winds Wednesday doubled that.

Either way, he should be fired for that play call today, run the ball and set up a field goal. Even the announcer thought it was dumb to have a freshman QB try to make a play. Not that I should complain, college football is so much more fun when ND = bad.

Auburn/Oregon would be such a fun title game if it happens, but that's still a long ways off obviously. Utah/TCU should be absolutely glorious next week, winner of that game has a better claim to playing for the National Title than Boise State does as far as I'm concerned. I think the title game will be Oregon against the winner of the Iron Bowl (as if that game needs even more to be riding on the line than it usually has, but it does this year) though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 03:05 AM)
Auburn/Oregon would be such a fun title game if it happens, but that's still a long ways off obviously. Utah/TCU should be absolutely glorious next week, winner of that game has a better claim to playing for the National Title than Boise State does as far as I'm concerned. I think the title game will be Oregon against the winner of the Iron Bowl (as if that game needs even more to be riding on the line than it usually has, but it does this year) though.

i will go on record to say that Both BSU and TCU would beat Oregon in a title game. They are a complete paper tiger. Everyone is saying "wow they beat USC" well USC is 87th in total defense and hasnt been able to stop anyone all year. Sorry if the name confused everyone, but Oregon still hasnt played anyone that actually knows how to play defense. The best team they've played so far has been ASU at 48th defensively and not suprisingly that was their closest game. I will lay down the house again Oregon if they play in the national title game, especially if its against a team that can actually play defense.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 03:05 AM)

Honestly I was a little worried that Oregon might lose to USC tonight, but man did they kick the crap out of them in their own backyard, 599 yards and 53 points.. I really don't see how they could lose to any of the 4 teams they have left..

QUOTE (T R U @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 03:14 AM)
Honestly I was a little worried that Oregon might lose to USC tonight, but man did they kick the crap out of them in their own backyard, 599 yards and 53 points.. I really don't see how they could lose to any of the 4 teams they have left..

Defensive rankings:

Washington 98th

Cal 15th

AZ 10th

Oregon st 119th

They have two decent tests with some good defensive teams in Cal and AZ although they are weak offensively. Oregon really wont face any real test until they play in a bowl game just like last year.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 03:18 AM)
Defensive rankings:

Washington 98th

Cal 15th

AZ 10th

Oregon st 119th

They have two decent tests with some good defensive teams in Cal and AZ although they are weak offensively. Oregon really wont face any real test until they play in a bowl game just like last year.

eh

Looking at both Cal and Arizonas schedules shows me that their defenses have been good against lesser opponents and exposed against teams that pose an offensive threat.. Oregons offense has stomped on every team they have played.. Also, last year does not always represent future results..

Do you think if Oregon played Purdue next weekend they would win 38-36? What about Utah, do you think they would win 31-24? They only scored 50+ twice last season, they've done it 5 times in 8 games so far this season..

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 04:13 AM)
i will go on record to say that Both BSU and TCU would beat Oregon in a title game. They are a complete paper tiger. Everyone is saying "wow they beat USC" well USC is 87th in total defense and hasnt been able to stop anyone all year. Sorry if the name confused everyone, but Oregon still hasnt played anyone that actually knows how to play defense. The best team they've played so far has been ASU at 48th defensively and not suprisingly that was their closest game. I will lay down the house again Oregon if they play in the national title game, especially if its against a team that can actually play defense.

How do we know that Boise has a defense this year? They played VT would scored 30 points on them and Oregon St. Boise feasts on s*** teams to get that high defensive ranking. Louisiana Tech got almost 400 of offense Tuesday and almost 200 yards rushing.

I think it will be an Alabama-Oregon title game and Alabama will win. Oregon being a finesse offense really hurts them come bowl season because of the long layoff.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 03:13 AM)

I'm not sure I totally buy into Oregon either, but they aren't going to lose because the only team on that schedule capable of beating them is Arizona, and that game is at Autzen. I suppose the Civil War could always be a surprise I guess though. I'm curious if Alabama would finish ahead of an undefeated Boise State and/or the winner of the TCU/Utah game, who will also probably go undefeated. It looks like they would, and as usual, the computers love Oklahoma, so they can't be completely counted out either yet.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 31, 2010 -> 12:03 AM)
What?

If the wind was blowing 600 mph, would you be saying the same thing?

From all accounts, it wasn't a technical problem. It was a common sense one.

Exactly. I don't see how it's not Kelly's fault.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Congrats to Tulsa. And yes, Brian Kelly is pathetic. I'm hearing that more of his highly ranked recruiting class is jumping ship, as he's always lost a handful of commits.

I think they have had something like 4 decommitments in the last 2 weeks.

The University has made the decision to let people on those things now a university decision not a coaching staff decision. As far as I know the video guy is a part of practice. The kid was very scared up there and it cost him his life. I'm sure you are correct, there are many coaches if not all that would have held practice and had the kid up filming. That doesn't mean its not a huge mistake. I do feel sorry for Kelly in a way even though I think he's a snake. He just happened to be the coach this happened to. It probably could have been 100 other coaches.