Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
There's plenty of room at US Cellular :)

USCellular_Football.jpg

But the yuppies don't give a s***.

This trend of everything must happen at Wrigley is really stupid. I'd be so pissed if I cared and if I bought tickets near the East endzone.

Epic fail.

I found it interesting that they had safety experts and engineers plot everything out BEFORE they agreed to the game, then back out AFTER agreeing to the game. The conference and team officials all agreed it was ok. But NOW they feel it's in the best interest to not use that end zone. In other words, someone at the NCAA saw pictures of the field and said "umm, no," so the conference/teams capitulated.

I don't see much of an increased risk of harm here. How many guys have been hurt from hitting the goal post? It's pretty rare that someone goes out of the back of the endzone like that anyway.

Its not that rare that a wr or cb runs through the back of the endzone.

The goal post is inches, this is feet of brick wall.

When I saw it I couldnt imagine how they could play in that end zone without significant risk, Im glad they made the change because a college kid shouldnt have to risk injury over design stupidity.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
I found it interesting that they had safety experts and engineers plot everything out BEFORE they agreed to the game, then back out AFTER agreeing to the game. The conference and team officials all agreed it was ok. But NOW they feel it's in the best interest to not use that end zone. In other words, someone at the NCAA saw pictures of the field and said "umm, no," so the conference/teams capitulated.

I don't see much of an increased risk of harm here. How many guys have been hurt from hitting the goal post? It's pretty rare that someone goes out of the back of the endzone like that anyway.

This. They have been planning this game for 18 months. They have gone through all the logistics, engineers came and studied it, the whole shebang. Then all of a sudden 24 hours before, they decide its a bad idea??? What have they been doing for the last year and a half? What changed today that hadn't been going through their heads for the rest of the process.

NW might have some pissed off alums that paid top dollar for their tickets and are now stuck on an end with no end zone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)

When I saw it I couldnt imagine how they could play in that end zone without significant risk, Im glad they made the change because a college kid shouldnt have to risk injury over design stupidity.

Meh, a goal post is a little bigger than that. I'd still contend it's a pretty rare occurrence that someone dives out of the back of the endzone (the middle where the goal post is) to catch a ball, which is the only way anyone gets hurt here. I think most of the time that's off to the sides and corners of the endzone.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Back in the old days, the field ran down the left field line, why is it now down the right field line?

wrigley-field-chicago-bears-football.jpg

I think they've added seats, right?

Either way, the Bears played for years with a foot between the endzone and the wall.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Here's the area everyone is worried about....

wrigley-field-goalpost-football.jpg

To the left of the "bend" there is room, and to the right there is room. It's primarily this part that everyone is worried about.

Here's a better image, it's a lot closer than I thought...

g111610wrigley11.jpg

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)

Padding, not bricks.

Whats behind that padding?

A brick wall, with no give. A few inches of padding wont protect some one who goes head first into a brick wall.

3/4 of the endzone has less than 5 feet behind the goal. There are plenty of times where a wr or db runs out of the back of the end zone.

I had wanted Wisconsin to play in Wrigley, but after seeing the field set up Im glad it will never happen. I dont see why anyone would want players to take that type of risk.

It would have been less disruptive if they just went out there tonight and repainted the field; i.e. lined it with 2 3/4' yards or something like that to create more room. At least there's some precedent for that, in that the Bears once had to play an NFL championship game indoors at old Chicago Stadium. I can't imagine they fit a regulation field in that place.

I don't disagree with putting safety first, but this "solution" screws half the ticket holders and is going to lengthen the game.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
How about Illinois vs Notre Dame at US Cellular?

I know that ND is playing Miami at Soldier Field soon, but to play at the Cell would be cool.

Only if the dirt can still be there so we can have an advantage.