Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
Absolutely it does. It also probably creates more injuries and exposes your weaknesses more.

But this loss to Nevada does not prove anything in regards to the argument you are making.

What it does show is Boise State doesn't deserve to play for a championship and the president of Ohio State had a point. I have a hard time believing Boise State is ranked anywhere near the top 15 if they played a schedule that featured at least 8 or 9 games they actually could lose if they played poorly. They really only had 2 or 3 tests. Va Tech, but they caught them at the right time, as Va Tech lost to James Madison the following week. After that they hadn't played anyone ranked in the top 20 until yesterday.

I understand their position. But if you really want to play for national titles you need to join a better conference.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
What it does show is Boise State doesn't deserve to play for a championship and the president of Ohio State had a point. I have a hard time believing Boise State is ranked anywhere near the top 15 if they played a schedule that featured at least 8 or 9 games they actually could lose if they played poorly. They really only had 2 or 3 tests. Va Tech, but they caught them at the right time, as Va Tech lost to James Madison the following week. After that they hadn't played anyone ranked in the top 20 until yesterday.

I understand their position. But if you really want to play for national titles you need to join a better conference.

This is absolutely true. They lost the game, they do not deserve to be in the national title discussion any longer. And this is the price they pay for playing in a weak conference - there is ZERO room for error, unlike a team that plays in a power conference, which may be able to enter the championship picture as a one-loss team.

I am certainly not someone that ignores the difficulty of playing a schedule that can occur from playing in a power conference. The schedules that come out of the SEC, the Big 10, the Big 12 in recent years, and the Pac 10 can be absolutely brutal. Teams that play in power conferences do deserve more credit for playing the schedules they do, which really has a cumulative effect that is difficult to quantify.

But I also find it difficult to claim from one loss that resulted from a blown chip-shot field goal on the road against a quality opponent, that it can be discerned how Boise St would fare in a power conference. The sampel size is simply too small.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
But I also find it difficult to claim from one loss that resulted from a blown chip-shot field goal on the road against a quality opponent, that it can be discerned how Boise St would fare in a power conference. The sampel size is simply too small.

No its not. As I've said before, Boise was gassed in the 4th quarter and they were gassed against VT. You put that team in a conference where they'll have 6 tests in 7 weeks and we'll see a Boise team that will get worse as the season progresses.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
This is absolutely true. They lost the game, they do not deserve to be in the national title discussion any longer. And this is the price they pay for playing in a weak conference - there is ZERO room for error, unlike a team that plays in a power conference, which may be able to enter the championship picture as a one-loss team.

I am certainly not someone that ignores the difficulty of playing a schedule that can occur from playing in a power conference. The schedules that come out of the SEC, the Big 10, the Big 12 in recent years, and the Pac 10 can be absolutely brutal. Teams that play in power conferences do deserve more credit for playing the schedules they do, which really has a cumulative effect that is difficult to quantify.

Well, you can clearly take a look at the difference in the quality of players they both possess and face on a weekly basis. Take a look at recruiting rankings, and then compare that to how many NFL players go on from the schools in the conference. Boise just doesnt face nearly the quality of talent that an SEC, B10, B12 Pac10 team does every week. They run the table in what amount to be almost a MAC-type conference in terms of talent and we are supposed to believe they could compete in a power conference? ANyone who thinks BSU would be more than avg to below avg in the SEC is clearly ignoring just about every piece of truth out there. Once in awhile a small conference school can beat a serious team out of a power conference, I watched my alma mater in 2003 be that team. But that one game doesnt mean that they could last a season, because they couldnt.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
Absolutely it does. It also probably creates more injuries and exposes your weaknesses more.

But this loss to Nevada does not prove anything in regards to the argument you are making.

It absolutely does. A Nevada isn't a big deal on the schedule for a Big10/SEC/Pac10/BigEast/Big12 type team, because they see them almost every single week. Auburn has beaten 5 top 25 teams this year. It proves that there is a massive difference between Boise State and anyone who comes out of a major conference schedule undefeated, because they have beaten good teams. Not being able to beat a Nevada makes the point that BSU wouldn't have survived a single one of the major conference schedules.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
Well, you can clearly take a look at the difference in the quality of players they both possess and face on a weekly basis. Take a look at recruiting rankings, and then compare that to how many NFL players go on from the schools in the conference. Boise just doesnt face nearly the quality of talent that an SEC, B10, B12 Pac10 team does every week. They run the table in what amount to be almost a MAC-type conference in terms of talent and we are supposed to believe they could compete in a power conference? ANyone who thinks BSU would be more than avg to below avg in the SEC is clearly ignoring just about every piece of truth out there. Once in awhile a small conference school can beat a serious team out of a power conference, I watched my alma mater in 2003 be that team. But that one game doesnt mean that they could last a season, because they couldnt.

I don't really know how to make it more clear that I don't disagree with you. I don't have an issue with the opinion that teams such as Boise and TCU would be two and three loss teams if they played in power conferences. I absolutely understand the talent that is present in the SEC, and the Big 10, Pac 10 and Big 12.

My point is simply that a blown chip-shot FG on a cold night in Reno on the road against a quality opponent does not prove that argument.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
No its not. As I've said before, Boise was gassed in the 4th quarter and they were gassed against VT. You put that team in a conference where they'll have 6 tests in 7 weeks and we'll see a Boise team that will get worse as the season progresses.

I disagree. That Boise team would recruit much better players and be able to play with the big boys. It works both ways. The competition would get tougher, but since their coaching is really really good, they would also get enough recruits to be an even better team than they are now.

Either way though, I hate Boise. I've been riding with TCU for so long. Let's hope South Carolina could pull something out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
It absolutely does. A Nevada isn't a big deal on the schedule for a Big10/SEC/Pac10/BigEast/Big12 type team, because they see them almost every single week. Auburn has beaten 5 top 25 teams this year. It proves that there is a massive difference between Boise State and anyone who comes out of a major conference schedule undefeated, because they have beaten good teams. Not being able to beat a Nevada makes the point that BSU wouldn't have survived a single one of the major conference schedules.

No, it doesn't prove anything. While Auburn has beaten 5 top 25 teams this year, they could have lost any number of games this year, especially if their kicker blows a few chip shot field goals. While a loss would had an impact on their record, it would have done nothing to prove whether or not they could win other games on their SEC schedule. They still would be a quality team and one of the best teams in the nation.

But what you're saying is that because the Boise kicker blew two easy field goals, that somehow goes far in determining whether Boise could compete in a traditional power conference. It simply does not.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
No, it doesn't prove anything. While Auburn has beaten 5 top 25 teams this year, they could have lost any number of games this year, especially if their kicker blows a few chip shot field goals. While a loss would had an impact on their record, it would have done nothing to prove whether or not they could win other games on their SEC schedule. They still would be a quality team and one of the best teams in the nation.

But what you're saying is that because the Boise kicker blew two easy field goals, that somehow goes far in determining whether Boise could compete in a traditional power conference. It simply does not.

I guess the kicker isn't important in the Big 10? That doesn't make any sense at all. Every player on the field is important. Why if it is just the kicker, does that somehow excuse it? That also goes along with the whole point of not being able to handle a real schedule. Having those kind of weaknesses makes it easier for you to be exposed, and you have more chances of being exposed with good teams on your schedule.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
I guess the kicker isn't important in the Big 10? That doesn't make any sense at all. Every player on the field is important. Why if it is just the kicker, does that somehow excuse it? That also goes along with the whole point of not being able to handle a real schedule. Having those kind of weaknesses makes it easier for you to be exposed, and you have more chances of being exposed with good teams on your schedule.

Are you serious?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)

Is this how you judge a team? Is this how you handicap games? By solely considering the final score of the game and win-loss records?

Do you really think you can determine the overall talent and capabilities of a team in this manner?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
I disagree. That Boise team would recruit much better players and be able to play with the big boys. It works both ways. The competition would get tougher, but since their coaching is really really good, they would also get enough recruits to be an even better team than they are now.

Either way though, I hate Boise. I've been riding with TCU for so long. Let's hope South Carolina could pull something out.

Yes, a different Boise team would have a deeper team. But this Boise team isnt deep so this Boise team couldnt last through a conference slate of games.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Yes, a different Boise team would have a deeper team. But this Boise team isnt deep so this Boise team couldnt last through a conference slate of games.

Oh that is such bs. Look at Auburn. They are not deep at all! They just happen to have one of, if not the, most dynamic players in college football as their quarterback. How many losses do you think Auburn would have without Cam Newton as their quarterback?

Boise State is as good as anyone in the country in a one-game season, but when you have to play a full one, they simply aren't. There is no doubt if they played a National Championship game, they could easily win. But when you play teams that are as good as Nevada almost every week (like in a BCS conference), they would lose thrice at least.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
Oh that is such bs. Look at Auburn. They are not deep at all! They just happen to have one of, if not the, most dynamic players in college football as their quarterback. How many losses do you think Auburn would have without Cam Newton as their quarterback?

The same amount of losses as any other team in the country if they lost their starting QB.

After reading about the depth, are you seriously only bringing up the QB situation?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
The same amount of losses as any other team in the country if they lost their starting QB.

After reading about the depth, are you seriously only bringing up the QB situation?

I disagree. I think Auburn is a decent team with a superstar qb.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Boise State is as good as anyone in the country in a one-game season, but when you have to play a full one, they simply aren't. There is no doubt if they played a National Championship game, they could easily win. But when you play teams that are as good as Nevada almost every week (like in a BCS conference), they would lose thrice at least.

They aren't as good as anyone in a one game season. They could beat anyone on any given night but so could just about every team in the top 25. That doesn't change the fact that Boise would lose probably 7 out of 10 to a Wisconsin, LSU, Auburn, etc.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)

To recruit with those big conference schools they would have to upgrade their facilities, outrecruit not only conference foes but geographical ones and somehow have some little bit of success to entice players to move all the way out to Idaho.

Either that or they could move the entire campus from where it currently resides. A majority of the dominant big conference teams already have really really good coaching and recruiting, so that would be a wash.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
And THATTTTTTS the ballgame. Only 7 points RichRod? Hope you stay another year.

7 in a row vs UM

6th straight Big Ten title

The Vest is 9-1 vs UM

I love everything about this. Too bad Wisconsin is already s***ting on NW.