Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 11-1 teams in the B10 is ridiculous. I am watching the 2005 UM v OSU game right now and they both have a chance to win the conference title. UM has 3 losses and OSU has 2 and OSU is ranked 7th and UM 15th. Amazing how now 1 or 2 losses pretty much kills you in these conferences.

And even with those records, these teams are stacked with NFL players. I count 4 NFL starters on OSU's offense alone.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 28, 2010 -> 01:27 AM)
Be kinda neat to see Auburn get upset and see an Oregon-TCU championship and a Stanford-Wisconsin Rose Bowl.

Are we certain that if Auburn lost a tight game to South Carolina that they would still not finish ahead of TCU?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Nov 28, 2010 -> 07:37 PM)
Gruden apparently to take over Miami. Not sure what to think about that. I'm sure they will be dominant in recruiting, but that isn't the issue in Miami.

Miami fans are thinking the opposite. More worried about how well he would recruit. The coaching at Miami has been absolute crap since Butch left. Coker was there not to f*** things up and he still was able to screw up that 2002 team that lost to Ohio State. And the years after and through Shannon was even worse.

Miami has always thrived off of coaches who used the team as a stepping stone to get into the pros. Howard did it, Jimmy,Erickson and Butch did too. The past 2 guys viewed Miami as their dream job and that failed. If Gruden comes and then bolts in 3 years then great. Odds are he would have done good things here to warrant getting NFL calls and the next coach can continue the cycle.

Edited by zenryan

TCU finally realized they will be shafted until they join a BCS league. Realizing this was impossible, they decided to join the Big East instead. ;)

In all seriousness, they will be a whipping boy if they join the league in basketball as well.

http://www.nj.com/rutgers/index.ssf/2010/1...on_to_join.html

Edited by Palehosefan

Food for thought:

Little Sisters of the Poor: Ohio State plays very fine schools on any given Saturday. Marshall, Ohio, Eastern Michigan. Fine schools, all of them. According to Sagarin, the Buckeyes currently have a lower schedule strength rating (64) than Boise State (62). Boise State has a 2-1 record against teams currently in the AP Top 25, with wins against Virginia Tech and Hawaii and a heart-breaking, overtime loss to Nevada. Ohio State played one team currently in the AP Top 25, Wisconsin, and got manhandled. Guess which team will be playing in a BCS bowl game? The current system rewards reputation rather than accomplishment, and it is structured to pad and to perpetuate the reputations of already powerful schools.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/11/29...5-win/#comments

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)

Ohio State's SOS was higher than Boise's as of this weekend, so not sure how that changed a whole bunch. Plus OSU is not playing for the national title which was the topic of discussion. The comparison should be against the highest rated B10 school and that is Wisconsin. And Gee's point was about a national title game, and the only teams that are eligible for that are not only better than BSU, but have much harder schedules. Apologist's should keep crying though, you lost your chance to make a run at the title game.

If people are really foolish enough to think that WAC schools are as talented as Big Ten schools week in and week out thats their problem. It doesnt take a genius to see the difference not only in size, but talent. Boise clearly sees themselves on the same level as those MAC schools above as they request the exact same amount of money to play OSU.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
Ohio State's SOS was higher than Boise's as of this weekend, so not sure how that changed a whole bunch. Plus OSU is not playing for the national title which was the topic of discussion. The comparison should be against the highest rated B10 school and that is Wisconsin. And Gee's point was about a national title game, and the only teams that are eligible for that are not only better than BSU, but have much harder schedules. Apologist's should keep crying though, you lost your chance to make a run at the title game.

If people are really foolish enough to think that WAC schools are as talented as Big Ten schools week in and week out thats their problem. It doesnt take a genius to see the difference not only in size, but talent. Boise clearly sees themselves on the same level as those MAC schools above as they request the exact same amount of money to play OSU.

Playing a good (and ranked) Nevada team versus playing a terrible Michigan team will do that to you.

I didn't post this in reaction to any other discussion here. I'm saying that OSU will probably be the second Big Ten team in a BCS bowl, whereas Boise State won't, despite having a similar SOS and more quality wins. End of the day it's about money, but if I'm a Boise State fan I'd be mad too.

And the strength of the WAC has nothing to do with it. SoS clearly evened out over the season.

Im not sure how much stock you can put into SOS.

Wisconsin played 2 top 10 teams, yet has a SOS lower than OSU and Boise State. How do you really judge SOS, if you play 10 teams ranked in the 30s is that harder than 2 teams ranked in the top 10 and 8 teams ranked less than 100?

I guess I dont know and when I see these ratings, they just dont seem to past the eye test.

Big 12 needs to ratchet up pursuit of Notre Dame.

This would be the ultimate humiliation for ND, giving up their spot in the Big 10 to Nebraska, then being forced to take Nebraska's spot in the Big 12.

Sadly I think the Big 10 would go to 13 teams if ND really wanted to join.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Ugh.

I'd sooner have them join the Big East for football.

I can understand staying independent over joining a conference, but in what world is the Big East a better option than the Big 12 unless you think Notre Dame is going to continue to be mediocre?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 10:12 AM)
Playing a good (and ranked) Nevada team versus playing a terrible Michigan team will do that to you.

I didn't post this in reaction to any other discussion here. I'm saying that OSU will probably be the second Big Ten team in a BCS bowl, whereas Boise State won't, despite having a similar SOS and more quality wins. End of the day it's about money, but if I'm a Boise State fan I'd be mad too.

And the strength of the WAC has nothing to do with it. SoS clearly evened out over the season.

Iowa s***ting their pants during the second half of the season probably hurt OSU's strength of schedule significantly.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
I can understand staying independent over joining a conference, but in what world is the Big East a better option than the Big 12 unless you think Notre Dame is going to continue to be mediocre?

The Big East is a BCS conference with major media market cash for all of the other sports.

The Big 12 may have better overall athletics, but it doesn't have the same attraction.

The Big East is Maria Sharapova, the Big 12 is Venus Williams.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
The Big East is a BCS conference with major media market cash for all of the other sports.

The Big 12 may have better overall athletics, but it doesn't have the same attraction.

The Big East is Maria Sharapova, the Big 12 is Venus Williams.

But isn't ND already getting the advantages of this by being in the Big East for basketball?

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
It would be a huge CF to be in two different conferences for your sports.

I can agree to that, but that doesn't mean they gain much by having their football team join a conference.

Don't they already get a special BCS exemption as it is?

I guess the real question probably is "Would their football team joining the Big Ten or the Big 12 and their basketball team following be better than their basketball team being in the Big East and their football team being independent or also in the Big East?"

A TV market difference between the Big East and the Big 12 isn't much. The Big 12 has 7 of the top 50 media markets, and that doesn't include Albuquerque which is mainly a Big 12 city as well.

However, I don't see any reason Notre Dame would join a conference unless they are allowed to keep their current TV contract and benefit from a conference contract. Texas will be making 15M with it's own network, plus whatever ESPN gives the Big 12-2 in a network in a year or so. Any big program joining the shotgun conglomeration of a conference called the Big 12 would be a mistake. Missouri, Kansas, Texas Tech, A&M, and even Texas will continue flirting with other conferences or independence in the next few years.