Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
Va Tech is actually pretty damn good, that being said, there's absolutely no excuse for losing to James Madison.

Labor Day games suck and I'm sure Zen will agree. It's not easy going from playing away from home on Monday night to a Saturday afternoon game. I know we have sucked the last how many seasons so take it with a grain of salt, but we always struggled on that second game. That doesn't make an excuse for them, but I'm glad to see other teams struggle with it like we did.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
dasox24, I am hearing Michigan vs Tennessee in the Gator Bowl. What are you hearing?

That's what I've been hearing too for the last 24 hours or so. It was all Music City until about a day ago. But, now in the last hour or so, I'm hearing the Music City is a very strong possibility again. Guess we'll find out in about 20 minutes.

For selfish reasons, I want the Music City Bowl since it's close to me and I'd be able to go. If we play in Jacksonville, I won't be making it.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
Labor Day games suck and I'm sure Zen will agree. It's not easy going from playing away from home on Monday night to a Saturday afternoon game. I know we have sucked the last how many seasons so take it with a grain of salt, but we always struggled on that second game. That doesn't make an excuse for them, but I'm glad to see other teams struggle with it like we did.

Especially if your team loses.

I know you guys struggled with Jax St last year after the Labor Day game and Miami went through the motions vs FAMU for a half in 2006 after losing to FSU on Labor Day.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
M-I-Z

LOL. I've been reading some Iowa stuff since the announcement and I had no idea they thought their program was that good. Who knew? I feel like I could show a Northwestern logo to an Iowa fan and they would cower like a vampire to a cross so I've always looked down upon Iowa ha.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:22 AM)
LOL. I've been reading some Iowa stuff since the announcement and I had no idea they thought their program was that good. Who knew? I feel like I could show a Northwestern logo to an Iowa fan and they would cower like a vampire to a cross so I've always looked down upon Iowa ha.

You realize this is Mizzou's Super Bowl. Just like it was for Northwestern. And Wisconsin. And Ohio State. And Minnesota. And Arizona. And Iowa State. We're the only team to lose our Super Bowl against Iowa.

Their (vocal) fans are f***ing retarded.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
You realize this is Mizzou's Super Bowl. Just like it was for Northwestern. And Wisconsin. And Ohio State. And Minnesota. And Arizona. And Iowa State. We're the only team to lose our Super Bowl against Iowa.

And miserable drunks during games. They lead the league in broken pint glasses.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)

I don't understand why this is our super bowl, but ok. I'm good with playing a name program like Iowa. I'm not as good with having to play a 7-5 team, but I'd rather win against a crappy team than lose to a powerhouse. That said, I'm sure Ferentz will have Iowa ready to play well. I just think their o-line is going to get Stanzi killed against our pass rush.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
I don't understand why this is our super bowl, but ok. I'm good with playing a name program like Iowa. I'm not as good with having to play a 7-5 team, but I'd rather win against a crappy team than lose to a powerhouse. That said, I'm sure Ferentz will have Iowa ready to play well. I just think their o-line is going to get Stanzi killed against our pass rush.

It's a joke about how Iowa fans tend to think the only reason they lose is because the Iowa game is ALWAYS the biggest game on anyone's schedule.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
It's a joke about how Iowa fans tend to think the only reason they lose is because the Iowa game is ALWAYS the biggest game on anyone's schedule.

Coming from the Cyclone fan. The only one of those games that is a superbowl to the opposition is the ISU and Minnesota game's and to a lesser extent the Wiscy game. The Wiscy game is a huge game to Iowa fans as well. Minnesota would be a huge game too if they haven't sucked for a long time (still beat Iowa this year).

And Northwestern owns Iowa. Nothing more I can say about that, but Iowa has been one of the more successful program in the country and conference over the last 9 or so years.

I still believe Iowa is the best 5 loss team in the country but thats about the same as me saying at the end of the season that the Chargers are the best team in the NFL to not make the playoffs. The reality is the little things make a difference and Iowa has f***ing blown balls all season when it comes to doing the little things, like special teams.

I doubt TCU runs over Wisconsin. They area great team and Wisconsin is the underdog, but Wisconsin has been pretty solid this whole season.

And Im not sure Iowa is Wisconsin's "Super Bowl." Iowa is a good team and its important to Wisconsin fans because a lot of their friends went to Iowa and the whole BB/Alvarez thing, but I never considered Iowa a big game when I was at Wisconsin. It was OSU and Michigan, with Michigan being the game you would want to win more than anything (Wisconsin has always had trouble with Michigan).

Now the biggest game is OSU and with them being in the same division Id guess that rivalry takes precedence over a team that we wont face for another 2 years (unless Iowa goes to the Big 10 championship game). People speculate that Iowa/Wisconsin could be added as a second protected rivalry when the conference goes to 9 games, but Wisconsin requested Nebraska, not Iowa, so who knows.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
I doubt TCU runs over Wisconsin. They area great team and Wisconsin is the underdog, but Wisconsin has been pretty solid this whole season.

Wisconsin being an underdog is amazing.

I'm taking the Wisconsin ML and not looking back.

That is one of my concerns. You hate to have a team that is so hot sitting for a few weeks.

I am hoping that the fact Wisconsin is based on a running game will help them get on track quick. The other concern is what to do with Clay. Clay had surgery in the off-season and never has really been the same. He got hurt early in the season and that gave Ball an opportunity. The combination of Ball and White has been arguably more effective than Clay & White. By the Rose Bowl Clay should clearly be healthy, but what do you do? Clay was Big Ten offensive play of the year last year, and then you bench him in the Rose Bowl as a redshirt junior. Clay was also a very big Wisconsin recruit, who decided to stay in state over an offer from OSU.

TCU is going to be a tough challenge, and if Wisconsin is going to win, they are going to need to throw the ball effectively. Tolzien won the Unitas Award, so hopefully he has a great game. Toon and Kendricks hopefully will be healthy and that is just a very talented offense.

Wisconsin defense may be a concern. Defense becomes easier when the game is out of reach as you dont have to worry about the run. In a close game Im not sold that Wisconsin can stop some one, which is how they lost to MSU, couldnt stop them on 3rd down.

Id take Wisconsin but I dont bet on teams I care about, cant think rationally.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
That is one of my concerns. You hate to have a team that is so hot sitting for a few weeks.

If Wisconsin was a finesse team like Oregon then I would be concerned. Sitting 5 weeks for a team like Oregon can make then fall out of sync.