Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
If Wisconsin was a finesse team like Oregon then I would be concerned. Sitting 5 weeks for a team like Oregon can make then fall out of sync.

Which is exactly why I'm going to bet the heck out of the under.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
If Wisconsin was a finesse team like Oregon then I would be concerned. Sitting 5 weeks for a team like Oregon can make then fall out of sync.

I'm concerned that Wisconsin didn't appear to be the team they are now earlier in the year. They clearly developed some sort of momentum and rhythm towards the end of the year. Not sure how you can say they can't lose that just because they aren't a finesse team. Why did they start off a bit slow if doesn't matter?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)

The 5 week layoff is definitely to the advantage of Auburn, not necessarily because of Oregon falling out of sync but simply because they get to prepare for Oregon's pace for 5 weeks. If this game was Saturday, I would be very confident in Oregon. Even still, I think Auburn is completely overrated and Oregon may wear them down anyways.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
Coming from the Cyclone fan. The only one of those games that is a superbowl to the opposition is the ISU and Minnesota game's and to a lesser extent the Wiscy game. The Wiscy game is a huge game to Iowa fans as well. Minnesota would be a huge game too if they haven't sucked for a long time (still beat Iowa this year).

And Northwestern owns Iowa. Nothing more I can say about that, but Iowa has been one of the more successful program in the country and conference over the last 9 or so years.

I still believe Iowa is the best 5 loss team in the country but thats about the same as me saying at the end of the season that the Chargers are the best team in the NFL to not make the playoffs. The reality is the little things make a difference and Iowa has f***ing blown balls all season when it comes to doing the little things, like special teams.

The emphasis on the Iowa game has decreased dramatically after McCarney.

Our superbowl, if you will, was Nebraska.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
I doubt TCU runs over Wisconsin. They area great team and Wisconsin is the underdog, but Wisconsin has been pretty solid this whole season.

And Im not sure Iowa is Wisconsin's "Super Bowl." Iowa is a good team and its important to Wisconsin fans because a lot of their friends went to Iowa and the whole BB/Alvarez thing, but I never considered Iowa a big game when I was at Wisconsin. It was OSU and Michigan, with Michigan being the game you would want to win more than anything (Wisconsin has always had trouble with Michigan).

Now the biggest game is OSU and with them being in the same division Id guess that rivalry takes precedence over a team that we wont face for another 2 years (unless Iowa goes to the Big 10 championship game). People speculate that Iowa/Wisconsin could be added as a second protected rivalry when the conference goes to 9 games, but Wisconsin requested Nebraska, not Iowa, so who knows.

I know, but I'm still hoping. Depends on which team uses the break as a layoff or as preparation time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
The 5 week layoff is definitely to the advantage of Auburn, not necessarily because of Oregon falling out of sync but simply because they get to prepare for Oregon's pace for 5 weeks. If this game was Saturday, I would be very confident in Oregon. Even still, I think Auburn is completely overrated and Oregon may wear them down anyways.

They have 5 weeks to prepare for that pace, but is any amount of time enough to prepare for the number of weapons that Oregon has? The only team that has been able to do anything to slow that offense down was Cal, and they have a former NFL defensive coordinator running that defense (and, BTW, Cal has the #1 defense in the Pac-10 according to YPG, and the 20th ranked defense in the entire country).

I think Oregon has a much easier time trying to deal with Cam Newton. I'm not going to suddenly say he's weak or anything like that, but they have 5 weeks to try and slow down 5 players, whereas Auburn has 5 weeks to try to slow down like 5 players. I think there is a huge, huge difference.

Perhaps Cam Newton has an effect on this game because he makes a comeback, but really, I think this game comes down to whether or not Auburn's defense can slow down Oregon's offensive attack. If they can, then Auburn probably wins, and if not, then Oregon probably wins.

This is good and bad. If Florida hires Dan Mullen (like they should), then I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make at Florida. But at least Meyer is gone and I, for now, can have some sort of hope that Florida will hire a Ron Zook-like coach again, haha. Regardless, always good to get a 2-time National Championship coach out of the conference. Oh, and I can't imagine he'll come back like last year. I feel like if he was going to make a decision this time, he'll stick by it (so as to not pull a Brett Favre).

Now if only some NFL team will throw a ton of money at Saban and get him out of here so he can prove he's not a flop at the sport's highest level (Saban has a big enough ego that it wouldn't surprise me to see him give the NFL another shot to prove he can do it).

EDIT: I'm sure Bob Stoops is #1 on Florida's list, but please God, don't let him take that job.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
This is good and bad. If Florida hires Dan Mullen (like they should), then I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make at Florida. But at least Meyer is gone and I, for now, can have some sort of hope that Florida will hire a Ron Zook-like coach again, haha. Regardless, always good to get a 2-time National Championship coach out of the conference. Oh, and I can't imagine he'll come back like last year. I feel like if he was going to make a decision this time, he'll stick by it (so as to not pull a Brett Favre).

Now if only some NFL team will throw a ton of money at Saban and get him out of here so he can prove he's not a flop at the sport's highest level (Saban has a big enough ego that it wouldn't surprise me to see him give the NFL another shot to prove he can do it).

EDIT: I'm sure Bob Stoops is #1 on Florida's list, but please God, don't let him take that job.

I doubt Bob Stoops takes the job at UF. There was more talent in the UF program after Zook got canned than there is now and Stoops still didnt go.

This might slow the Miami coaching search down some. Miami has decent money right now to throw at a coach (dont always believe the media, Coker was getting paid 2.5M a season in the early 2000s and that was real good money back then. They went cheap with Shannon because the buyout for Coker was huge and they were still paying off the former basketball coach's buyout. That all has been cleared by now) but they dont have $4M per year money that Florida does.

Mullen seems like the logical choice and he can get to the easier division of the SEC. Miss St will never pass Alabama or LSU. No one ever wants to follow a successful coach like Meyer so who knows. Plus we dont know the terms in which he left the UF program.

Just watching the Gators this year, I could sense something about Meyer not returning for the 2011. There have been people on other boards I frequent that have stated since last spring that this would be it for him in 2010.

And with that said, imagine those freshman that he brought in this past year. First he quits during the the recruiting season and comes back within 2 days. He flat out lied to those recruits to get them to comeback. I would be pissed if I was a player or parent who he lied to.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Just watching the Gators this year, I could sense something about Meyer not returning for the 2011. There have been people on other boards I frequent that have stated since last spring that this would be it for him in 2010.

And with that said, imagine those freshman that he brought in this past year. First he quits during the the recruiting season and comes back within 2 days. He flat out lied to those recruits to get them to comeback. I would be pissed if I was a player or parent who he lied to.

I don't think any FSU fan is shocked by this news either. Everyone was just sort of waiting for it to happen.

Matt Elam specifically. He switched the FSU with the news and then Urban had a "heart to heart" talk with him and convinced Elam that he would be there for a long time.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
lol, that would be funny.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Urb up in Ann Arbor in a year or two...

Come on, you think an Ohio man would go to UM???? Well, except Bo of course...

OSU fans actually think Urban will take over when the Vest retires.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
Come on, you think an Ohio man would go to UM???? Well, except Bo of course...

OSU fans actually think Urban will take over when the Vest retires.

Well his name was thrown around a few years ago after Carr retired.

How long do OSU fans think Tressel will stay coaching?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Well his name was thrown around a few years ago after Carr retired.

How long do OSU fans think Tressel will stay coaching?

Zen, are Miami fans thinking Edsal is going to be the new Miami coach, or is that just more BS rumors?