Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
Yo Rock, you hear anything about this Ohio State thing they are talking about on ESPN during the Boise game?

10 players potentially suspended for some tattoo parlor scandal?

All I saw is that they are eligible and that Pryor said he paid for his tattoos. Didnt hear anything about suspension.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
I guess the story is that a player's parent did all the negotiation and since the players didnt know about it they are eligible.

The NCAA will regret the Cam Newton decision for a long time once this season ends. The loopholes it leaves open are endless.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
Yo Rock, you hear anything about this Ohio State thing they are talking about on ESPN during the Boise game?

10 players potentially suspended for some tattoo parlor scandal?

So apparently they are having an announcement shortly. It would be a joke to see players suspended for signing autographs for tats while players are winning heismans with their parents asking for 180k. Oh well. Hopefully the school does the right thing.

Looks like:

Mike Adams, Boom Herron, DeVier Posey, Terrelle Pryor, Solomon Thomas will miss first five games of next season. Jordan Whiting one game. First five guys must pay back somewhere between $1,000-$2,500. All eligible play in Sugar Bowl.

There goes 2011. Guess Braxton Miller will be starting for half the season.

I don't get it. I guess the players were more aware. Personally I actually support the suspensions but I also felt that Newton should have been suspended because I don't believe you can set the standard of a player not knowing being ok. He is very involved in the decision and I think it creates this loophole where a lot more parents will ask for money and leave there kid out of the process for their own protection.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
I don't get it. I guess the players were more aware. Personally I actually support the suspensions but I also felt that Newton should have been suspended because I don't believe you can set the standard of a player not knowing being ok. He is very involved in the decision and I think it creates this loophole where a lot more parents will ask for money and leave there kid out of the process for their own protection.

This is the school's suspension not the NCAA. There's the difference.

So it really wasnt even because of the tats. They sold awards THEY had won while playing football. Dumbasses, but none the less it seems a bit harsh.

OSU plans to appeal. Comments from the players sound like they didnt know selling their stuff was against the rules since they owned the items. A few players actually mentioned they helped their family pay bills with the cash. Not sure it thats true, but I can see where they are coming from.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
So it really wasnt even because of the tats. They sold awards THEY had won while playing football. Dumbasses, but none the less it seems a bit harsh.

OSU plans to appeal. Comments from the players sound like they didnt know selling their stuff was against the rules since they owned the items. A few players actually mentioned they helped their family pay bills with the cash. Not sure it thats true, but I can see where they are coming from.

the school is planning to appeal its own decision?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
the school is planning to appeal its own decision?

The ESPN article makes it sound like these were NCAA suspensions.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said the school will appeal the suspensions.

"While we believe sanctions should be rendered, we do believe they are severe," he said Thursday at a news conference. "We do believe we can give mitigating circumstances for the NCAA to consider."

The NCAA announced the suspensions Thursday, shortly before Smith and head coach Jim Tressel were to meet with reporters to discuss the university's investigation of players trading autographs for tattoos.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
Is Pryor guaranteed to stay next year? If he goes pro(even with the CBA negotiations putting the season in doubt) he could just say "f*** you NCAA"

He should stay, but Boom, Posey and Adams could go pro.

Apparently it was NCAA sanctions so the school will appeal. Maybe they will reduce it. Who knows. Selling your championship rings and gold pants seems like a dick move to me, unless they really were paying their family's bills.

Most OSu fans expected Braxton to come in and get some time early anyway, so maybe this will speed it up.

I'm surprised they are allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl. If I was OSU, I'd rather them miss this meaningless game and have them come back in time for the Big 10 opener.

I wonder if the NCAA is making OSU pay for some of Auburn's "crime". Someone has to be made an example of and the NCAA probably doesnt want to ruin the BCS title game.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm surprised they are allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl. If I was OSU, I'd rather them miss this meaningless game and have them come back in time for the Big 10 opener.

I wonder if the NCAA is making OSU pay for some of Auburn's "crime". Someone has to be made an example of and the NCAA probably doesnt want to ruin the BCS title game.

I think they are afraid of ruining one of their beloved BCS bowl games. It would probably upset the hell out of the sponsors as well.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
So Cam Netwon gets paid to play football or attempts to and doesn't get any discipline, and Terrelle Pryor gets a free tatoo and gets suspended 5 games? The NCAA really has it act together.

He's actually suspended for selling items that he won and owned.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Same thing still applies, how is that worse then what Cam or Cam's dad did.

It's not, but its against the rules.

The important thing is that the program is not at fault. OSU can reload with players, its program sanction that cripple a school. We'll probably see a reduction in games on the suspension and most of those guys will go pro anyway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
It's not, but its against the rules.

The important thing is that the program is not at fault. OSU can reload with players, its program sanction that cripple a school. We'll probably see a reduction in games on the suspension and most of those guys will go pro anyway.

The problem though is that there's plenty of reason to think that the program ought to be at fault...they basically came out and said that they hadn't educated their players well enough on the rules through 2009.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
The problem though is that there's plenty of reason to think that the program ought to be at fault...they basically came out and said that they hadn't educated their players well enough on the rules through 2009.

Thats not something that requires sanctions though. And from what I understand they began a very high regulated educational program right after the incidents occurred.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
Thats not something that requires sanctions though. And from what I understand they began a very high regulated educational program right after the incidents occurred.

I don't know. USC got hammered because they didn't have a good enough tracking/monitoring program in relation to Reggie Bush. The NCAA really seems to be turning a blind eye on this whole Cam Newton thing in comparison to the hefty sanctions they hit USC with.