Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
He should stay, but Boom, Posey and Adams could go pro.

Apparently it was NCAA sanctions so the school will appeal. Maybe they will reduce it. Who knows. Selling your championship rings and gold pants seems like a dick move to me, unless they really were paying their family's bills.

Most OSu fans expected Braxton to come in and get some time early anyway, so maybe this will speed it up.

Rock, I assume you are a huge OSU fan. I am as well. Watching all of their games, do you really see NFL talent in them? The only one I see having a shot is Posey.

I think they all needed their senior year to prove they are legit NFL talent.

In my eyes, Prior has almost no shot at being drafted as a QB (If Tebow can go in the first round, anything is possible). He may go as a WR or TE... Boom hasn't shown me anything that screams NFL, Posey I like, and Adams I don't really know enough about to comment that much.

That being said, if the suspension stays 5 games, I think OSU's season is over before it begins. I don't see them beating Miami at Miami, and with that loss the NC game is a long shot.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
The Big Ten has added a 3rd division to the mix. They had Leaders & Legends, and will now add an Entrepreneurs division. Ohio State is the only present member.

Technically you are correct, they have been in a league of their own for the past 6 years.

I like Kirk Herbstreit saying this will be "addition by subtraction for 2011" for the Buckeyes. Be careful Herbie, that much spin can make you very dizzy. As for the story itself, not surprising. Pryor has struck me as a very unintelligent guy going back to his recruiting, and for him to get into a situation like this couldn't surprise me less. I can't speak much to the other players lost other than obviously they are very important players outside of the backup d lineman. I can see why Ohio State fans are mad they got a hefty punishment of 5 games, but the fact they aren't suspended for the bowl game is asinine. No BS NCAA logic can change how stupid that is. If they're suspended, they're suspended. Making sure they are punished, but letting them play in the important BCS game is stupid.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
I dont understand how it is illegal to sell awards you have won. It's the players property they should be able to do with it what they please....

Let's be honest, its not that they sold the items, its that it was something you could track back to the player. Over 100 players in each bowl game are getting care packages like an XBOX360, how many of those do you think are going to be sold for cash? The items they sold were clearly tracked back to them which made the NCAA have to do something.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
Let's be honest, its not that they sold the items, its that it was something you could track back to the player. Over 100 players in each bowl game are getting care packages like an XBOX360, how many of those do you think are going to be sold for cash? The items they sold were clearly tracked back to them which made the NCAA have to do something.

Does this mean I can't sell my bowl swag from last year? :D

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
I dont understand how it is illegal to sell awards you have won. It's the players property they should be able to do with it what they please....

The problem is what it could lead to down the road. What will stop a player from selling something (that isn't worth much) to a booster for a ton of money? A booster could say "Oh, I'd love to buy that Championship ring from you for $50,000." But in reality, it's worth nowhere near that, and the booster is really just looking for a way to pay that player. If the NCAA allows players to sell their stuff b/c "it's the players' property" then they wouldn't be able to stop the above situation from happening.

I think it's a s***ty situation, but if you give the players an inch, they'll take a mile. If they received fair market value for whatever they were selling, I think I wouldn't have a problem with it. But there is no way to enforce them receiving "fair market value."

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 04:13 AM)
The problem is what it could lead to down the road. What will stop a player from selling something (that isn't worth much) to a booster for a ton of money? A booster could say "Oh, I'd love to buy that Championship ring from you for $50,000." But in reality, it's worth nowhere near that, and the booster is really just looking for a way to pay that player. If the NCAA allows players to sell their stuff b/c "it's the players' property" then they wouldn't be able to stop the above situation from happening.

I think it's a s***ty situation, but if you give the players an inch, they'll take a mile. If they received fair market value for whatever they were selling, I think I wouldn't have a problem with it. But there is no way to enforce them receiving "fair market value."

I guess the rule could be to sell something you'd have to get approval from the NCAA and inform them the price you are selling it for.

Here is my sincere take....

Kudos to Ohio State for putting themselves in a position that conference championship rings and honors don't mean anything to them. It means nothing to these players to sell a championship ring because they either have or are going to get more. Shame on Michigan and the rest of the conference for not being good enough to OSU off its sweet perch recently. I'd like to think that if these awards were truly special, they wouldn't be selling them. Granted they could be a bunch of selfish assholes. While I was once a Dl athlete, I was never anywhere close to the high profile position these guys are in, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they sold/traded awards they didn't truly value and that is not their fault.

That said, I personally think it is horse bleep that a player would sell such momentos. Maybe years down the road, but while still in school and competing just doesn't sit right with me. The I helped my parents pay bills line is a bunch of crap. Maybe they actually did, but I'd like to see how many tattoos and other expensive items that player has.

How they are not forced to sit out the Sugar Bowl is beyond me. I certainly don't know all the facts but I struggle to see how to justify allowing them to play in a game which will net them more stuff to sell and punishing them later, IF they stay in school. How OSU could not have let the players know this was against the rules is beyond me. I do think OSU should be punished for that. I do think it should be not much more than a slap on the wrist, but they should get something.

The bottom line is, that either the OSU players are thankless and take what they've earned from granted (while they should be learning humility) or the rest of the Big Ten is making it way too easy on them. If Big Ten Championships are automatic and the players don't see it as a special accomplishment, it makes sense why they did so. It's probably a little bit of both. They're still kids with maturing to do. Athletes in general tend to have an over-inflated value of their own self-worth. I truly believe the biggest blame goes to the rest of the Big Ten, however.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 04:13 AM)

You hit the nail on the head. This also goes for every other dumb rule the NCAA has. If coaches, players and boosters could police themselves we wouldn't need this huge bureauocracy. But everyone is always out for themselves, trying to find loopholes in the rules, stretching them to their limit and beyond, willing to take money, etc...

The NCAA isn't an evil entity. It is an ever changing board of representatives from the very universities it represents. The enforcement staff handling a case 3 years ago is totally different than who would handle an issue today. They try to look at each situation individually, but use precedent as a guideline. Times change, rule interpretations change, people change... every case is different. But none of it would be necessary if everyone could police themselves. Instead, the NCAA has to make rulings on situations taking into account what could happen if something were allowed.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 05:13 AM)

Which is why these kids cant really get jobs. It would turn into what those Oklahoma players were doing at the car dealership.

In reality the NCAA isnt the devils but it's the boosters who ruin it for everyone.

What I take from this whole OSU fiasco is that the NCAA is all about a dollar. If they're not benefiting from it, they won't let you benefit from it either.

If these guys wanna sell their awards, let them. It's theirs. It's not that they're "thankless." It may be that they're in a position where they really need the cash.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
What I take from this whole OSU fiasco is that the NCAA is all about a dollar. If they're not benefiting from it, they won't let you benefit from it either.

If these guys wanna sell their awards, let them. It's theirs. It's not that they're "thankless." It may be that they're in a position where they really need the cash.

So, Offensive lineman...you're thinking of going pro as a Junior? You see that Big Ten championship ring you've got? There's $500k in it for you if you come back as a senior.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 07:10 PM)
So, Offensive lineman...you're thinking of going pro as a Junior? You see that Big Ten championship ring you've got? There's $500k in it for you if you come back as a senior.

Hey OSU fans, want a piece of the action?! Bid now on game worn jerseys from the big game against UM.

Only difference is that OSU would be getting a cut. If the rule that was broken was so serious, these guys would be sitting for the bowl game...but they're not. Also missing none of the Big Ten season.

Again, the NCAA doesn't care as long as they're getting paid.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
According to the Eastern Iowa media, tomorrow nights Mizzou-Iowa matchup is really one for the ages, it's just hidden in Arizona.

I hope I don't eat my words on this one, but I really don't see how the line is so small. 2.5 points for a 7-5 team that lost to Minnesota and is without it's top WR and RB? Excuse me?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
I hope I don't eat my words on this one, but I really don't see how the line is so small. 2.5 points for a 7-5 team that lost to Minnesota and is without it's top WR and RB? Excuse me?

Because Iowa invokes their mystical voodoo gods at odd times. Mizzou is the better team, by a ways, so I'm not sure either.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
This is the Blaine Gabbert I remember and have a mancrush on and want to go pro...

He's going to be a very good pro. IMO he's the 2nd most likely QB to be a very good pro in this draft after Luck (assuming he goes), although I really like Mallet too, and could even see Newton and Locker do well at the next level.