Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
I don't know what your definition of a "f***ing really good team" is, but in my world, they aren't. Last night emphasized that point.

This.

Honestly, how does the number 12 team in the country not crush a completely depleted Iowa team that was 7-5? Not to mention they lost on top of it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
This.

Honestly, how does the number 12 team in the country not crush a completely depleted Iowa team that was 7-5? Not to mention they lost on top of it.

Maybe because that Iowa club had lost all 5 of its games (4 of which were to top 25 caliber teams) by less than 7 points in each game and in 4 of them, a late drive cost them the game. Maybe because Iowa is a loaded team with a good amount of NFL talent.

There is a reason Iowa was playing the #12 team in the country and there was a reason they weren't huge underdogs. Vegas knows this squad is talented. Oh, and Illini fans knocking mizzu is sorry. This Missouri team was very good. If you want to tell me that they aren't a top 12 team, go right ahead and show me proof.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
Maybe because that Iowa club had lost all 5 of its games (4 of which were to top 25 caliber teams) by less than 7 points in each game and in 4 of them, a late drive cost them the game. Maybe because Iowa is a loaded team with a good amount of NFL talent.

There is a reason Iowa was playing the #12 team in the country and there was a reason they weren't huge underdogs. Vegas knows this squad is talented. Oh, and Illini fans knocking mizzu is sorry. This Missouri team was very good. If you want to tell me that they aren't a top 12 team, go right ahead and show me proof.

They beat an Iowa State team without its starting quarterback by only 14. :P

In all honesty, though, they were a completely different team after beating Oklahoma.

So can someone explain to me why Maryland fired Friedgen? That program was awful before he got there and he had a lot of success with only a couple of losing seasons. Granted he had an awful year last year but then he wins 9 games with a very young team this year. Does Maryland really think they can do better?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
So can someone explain to me why Maryland fired Friedgen? That program was awful before he got there and he had a lot of success with only a couple of losing seasons. Granted he had an awful year last year but then he wins 9 games with a very young team this year. Does Maryland really think they can do better?

AD I believe is huge friends with Under Armour president who in turn is really good friends with Mike Leach. It's not like they hired an awful coach. But if I was Friedgen, I would be upset.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:36 AM)

Illinois lost a lot of close ones too. Hell, they're last 3 losses were by a total of 6 points. That does not make them a great team. You know what does? Winning.

There is a reason Iowa was playing the #12 team in the country and there was a reason they weren't huge underdogs. Vegas knows this squad is talented.

A lot of that too has to do with Iowa having a larger fan base and being a known name in the CFB world whereas Missouri, well, isn't.

If you want to tell me that they aren't a top 12 team, go right ahead and show me proof.

Sure. They just gave up 219 yards to Iowa's 7th string RB.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)

Jason, please give it up already. Iowa was not very good this year, I don't care how much they lost by in each game. It's not like they even looked good last night, either. Could Iowa have been good? Sure. However, they were the biggest disappointment in the Big Ten this year. They started out the season ranked 9th.

Also, I'm not really knocking Mizzou, they are pretty decent, but they are not really f***ing good, or whatever you think they are.

I think you are trying to make last night's game into the BCS championship. Mizzou is really f***ing good, Iowa is really f***ing good, it was practically the championship I guess.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
Illini cruise past Baylor. Very nice W. Too bad next year's team might be minus our best offensive player and our two best defensive players to the NFL draft.

Big 12, thanks for playing against the Big Ten so far.

Pitiful effort thus far. At least Okie State is Holgorsening Arizona.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
Illinois lost a lot of close ones too. Hell, they're last 3 losses were by a total of 6 points. That does not make them a great team. You know what does? Winning.

A lot of that too has to do with Iowa having a larger fan base and being a known name in the CFB world whereas Missouri, well, isn't.

Sure. They just gave up 219 yards to Iowa's 7th string RB.

You mean a highly recruited RB who also had a nice game in limited against against TOSU. Give me a break.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
Jason, please give it up already. Iowa was not very good this year, I don't care how much they lost by in each game. It's not like they even looked good last night, either. Could Iowa have been good? Sure. However, they were the biggest disappointment in the Big Ten this year. They started out the season ranked 9th.

Also, I'm not really knocking Mizzou, they are pretty decent, but they are not really f***ing good, or whatever you think they are.

I think you are trying to make last night's game into the BCS championship. Mizzou is really f***ing good, Iowa is really f***ing good, it was practically the championship I guess.

Real f***ing good would be a #12 team in the country. You give it up. Iowas is a top 25 team just as Missouri is a top 15 team. In my definition, a top 15 team is real f***ing good.

And no, Iowa did not have a very good record, but they are a good team. Great team, absolutely not.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
Real f***ing good would be a #12 team in the country. You give it up. Iowas is a top 25 team just as Missouri is a top 15 team. In my definition, a top 15 team is real f***ing good.

And no, Iowa did not have a very good record, but they are a good team. Great team, absolutely not.

Well Mizzou was 12 before losing to an unranked team. Still really f***ing good? No. Iowa might now be ranked after this, but it's still not a good loss for Mizzou by any means. Everyone expected them (this includes some Iowa fans I know, but not you) to win comfortably.

Bolded is a complete oxymoron. I don't want to go all Lovie Smith here, but you are what your record says you are.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
Well Mizzou was 12 before losing to an unranked team. Still really f***ing good? No. Iowa might now be ranked after this, but it's still not a good loss for Mizzou by any means. Everyone expected them (this includes some Iowa fans I know, but not you) to win comfortably.

Bolded is a complete oxymoron. I don't want to go all Lovie Smith here, but you are what your record says you are.

Ok, I'm calling BS. IF everyone expected them to route, why was the spread in Vegas less than a field goal?

And if Mizzu would route Iowa, they must be one hell of a team. No team routed Ioaw and that includes Wisconsin and Ohio State.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
Ok, I'm calling BS. IF everyone expected them to route, why was the spread in Vegas less than a field goal?

And if Mizzu would route Iowa, they must be one hell of a team. No team routed Ioaw and that includes Wisconsin and Ohio State.

Honestly Jason I don't know, and someone posted about that earlier. I don't think I was the only one surprised by that line. But I don't like trying to figure out lines and have that be a basis for quality of team, I'd rather look at records and watch teams play.

No team routed them, but on the other hand that doesn't make them very good. And if you want to talk close losses...close wins - IU dropped a pass or that would have been a loss, too. And anyone who loses to Minnesota is clearly not very good (yes, that includes Illinois). They had talent this year, they underachieved though.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
Illini crush Baylor. OSU trying to save the Big 12 from embarrassment tonight.

I was at the Texas Bowl tonight. Illinois was just too dominant on both lines, and I must say, Leshoure is legit. I think we all knew that but watching him in person, reading the blocks and.then accelerating through the hole was a real treat. I don't see how he won't be successful in the NFL. And unfortunately for Illinois, he'd be dumb to come back to school. I don't see how he could have a better season than this.

The defense also came up huge today, and while Griffin had a big game, that was expected, and Illinois limited the rest of the players, which is exactly what they needed to do. Only complaint is that the mid- and deep-middle were open all day for Baylor. If Griffin had connected with a few open receivers, it could have been a whole different ball game. But, Illinois took advantage of that, and that's what winning teams do.

Also, I think I was the only person in the stadium not fooled by Scheelhaase's TD run at the end of the game. I loved the play call.

Man, Mizzou is sure getting hated on for a team that won 10 games. All they did was lose an exhibition last night. It's not like it was a meaningful bowl. It shouldn't drastically change the opinion of the team. Top 20. Any team from 10-20 is more or less the same this year.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)
I was at the Texas Bowl tonight. Illinois was just too dominant on both lines, and I must say, Leshoure is legit. I think we all knew that but watching him in person, reading the blocks and.then accelerating through the hole was a real treat. I don't see how he won't be successful in the NFL. And unfortunately for Illinois, he'd be dumb to come back to school. I don't see how he could have a better season than this.

The defense also came up huge today, and while Griffin had a big game, that was expected, and Illinois limited the rest of the players, which is exactly what they needed to do. Only complaint is that the mid- and deep-middle were open all day for Baylor. If Griffin had connected with a few open receivers, it could have been a whole different ball game. But, Illinois took advantage of that, and that's what winning teams do.

Also, I think I was the only person in the stadium not fooled by Scheelhaase's TD run at the end of the game. I loved the play call.

I couldn't get off work to go to the game, but my sister just graduated from Baylor and it was quite fun giving her s*** all night about the game..