Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
The issue isn't whether you guys like him, it's whether he has developed reputable sources through his playing the game and his job of covering college football for ESPN to be knowledgable of the situation.

No offense to Knightni, but my guess is May's opinion is a little more informed than his (or mine or yours, for that matter).

To say his opinions are worthless is probably not a very legitimate position to take.

May is a member of the golden cleat club. He's an ex-athlete who got his job on name recognition and because he can speak well enough to be on TV.

He is a football analyst. He uses information given to him by others or things that he has seen himself to form his opinions (the same as any other human), except May uses his opinions and states them as fact on a TV show in front of millions of people who may or may not believe his opinion as fact.

After watching his smug arrogantness on ESPN every week; and seeing his disregard for anyone else's opinion as a possibility of truth. I have my own opinion.

He may be on TV, he may talk to a coach or player on occasion, but that does not make his personal opinions worth any more than anyone else's.

His opinions are for the most part, useless or worthless to me as a viewer.

That is my opinion. It may or may not be fact, but perception is personal reality. In fact, others who have posted above this post stated a similar opinion of May. No offense, iamshack.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 09:14 PM)
May is a member of the golden cleat club. He's an ex-athlete who got his job on name recognition and because he can speak well enough to be on TV.

He is a football analyst. He uses information given to him by others or things that he has seen himself to form his opinions (the same as any other human), except May uses his opinions and states them as fact on a TV show in front of millions of people who may or may not believe his opinion as fact.

After watching his smug arrogantness on ESPN every week; and seeing his disregard for anyone else's opinion as a possibility of truth. I have my own opinion.

He may be on TV, he may talk to a coach or player on occasion, but that does not make his personal opinions worth any more than anyone else's.

His opinions are for the most part, useless or worthless to me as a viewer.

That is my opinion. It may or may not be fact, but perception is personal reality. In fact, others who have posted above this post stated a similar opinion of May. No offense, iamshack.

Oh, this is rich.

I understand that you feel his opinions are not worthy of your time. That would probably explain why you looked him up on wikipedia to write this post.

Be that as it may, it does not make his opinions worthless to the rest of the english speaking world, as you proclaimed earlier while thumping your chest in your best Tarzan impression.

His resume certainly trumps mine and yours when it comes to this subject matter, and so I'll continue to take his word, until proven otherwise.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
The issue isn't whether you guys like him, it's whether he has developed reputable sources through his playing the game and his job of covering college football for ESPN to be knowledgable of the situation.

No offense to Knightni, but my guess is May's opinion is a little more informed than his (or mine or yours, for that matter).

To say his opinions are worthless is probably not a very legitimate position to take.

May is a first class douche. Maybe not everyone agrees with me, but he is. He is remarkably biased, especially towards teams that embarrassed PITT.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
I agree. That's about the only situation I can gather why Weis would come back to the college level. He must have liked the coaching aspect of college football and want to be back in that environment.

I think his ego was hurt by not having that "incredible advantage" while at Notre Dame and failing.. I think he is trying to rectify that in some fashion by going to Florida..

And honestly, Weis can get just about any OC job in the NFL if he wants it so there really is no downfall for him to go back to the college game and try to show people the type of NFL offense that is going to mystify college defenses..

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 03:48 AM)
May is a first class douche. Maybe not everyone agrees with me, but he is. He is remarkably biased, especially towards teams that embarrassed PITT.

Look, I don't like him either. And I don't like many of the personalities on ESPN, including Mortenson. I don't like Mel Kiper Jr. either.

This isn't a case of the guy commenting on the play of a team or the strength of a team or who he thinks will win a game. This is obviously him commenting of what he has heard from other coaches around the league.

I'm sorry, but no matter what kind of a douche the guy is, you get exposed to a s***load of sources by working for ESPN, cartainly more than anyone on this forum.

I'll take a different route in this argument: if Weis struggled relating to players and their familes, it sure as hell didn't show in the recruiting classes.

In his time at ND (not counting the '05 class when he was hired late, including 2010 since that was mostly with him recruiting), the Irish signed 7 five-star recruits and 57 four-star recuits. A lot of them didn't pan out, especially on defense, but there were still plenty of highly regarded players in South Bend.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
I'll take a different route in this argument: if Weis struggled relating to players and their familes, it sure as hell didn't show in the recruiting classes.

In his time at ND (not counting the '05 class when he was hired late, including 2010 since that was mostly with him recruiting), the Irish signed 7 five-star recruits and 57 four-star recuits. A lot of them didn't pan out, especially on defense, but there were still plenty of highly regarded players in South Bend.

If i was a high school offensive player, there is no doubt I would want to go to where Charlie Weis is. He has proven he can develop guys in to NFL-caliber players and has been extremely successful in the NFL. For most highly recruited players, the goal is the NFL and there are few better than Weis in getting you there.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
If i was a high school offensive player, there is no doubt I would want to go to where Charlie Weis is. He has proven he can develop guys in to NFL-caliber players and has been extremely successful in the NFL. For most highly recruited players, the goal is the NFL and there are few better than Weis in getting you there.

Really? I feel like I have a lot of trouble naming people who came out of ND and really lit the NFL on fire for the last 5-ish years. Can you name some for me?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)

Well, first of all, it's Notre Dame - it's really not that difficult to recruit there considering they are a historic program that offers an outstanding education.

Secondly, I really don't care enough about Notre Dame or Charlie Weiss to really argue about this any more. I was watching ESPN last night when they broke in about Weiss potentially going to Florida to be the OC, and Mark May mentioned that Weiss had difficulties with recruiting and his relationships with the kids and their parents. I related that information on here, since we were a bit baffled as to why Weiss would make this move.

A poster comes in and says "Mark May wouldn't know anything if he didn't have a teleprompter. His opinions are pretty much worthless."

I took exception to the comment because this sort of outright dismissal of ESPN or other mainstream media members and their reporting acumen, out of hand, and with no other evidence of incompetence other than the fact that the reporter is annoying/obnoxious/"a blowhard"/douchebag, is bs. It's become all too fashionable to dismiss what we see in the mainstream media, and yet, we are supposed to believe unsupported and many times anonymous message board chatter. It's illogical, irrational, and just plain ridiculous.

That's all I really care to say about the matter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Well, first of all, it's Notre Dame - it's really not that difficult to recruit there considering they are a historic program that offers an outstanding education.

They don't exactly have a tough time getting elite athletes to go play at Florida.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Really? I feel like I have a lot of trouble naming people who came out of ND and really lit the NFL on fire for the last 5-ish years. Can you name some for me?

Weis began coaching in 2005 and since then, the ND draftees on offense.

2006 Draft:

Anthony Fasano (Cowboys)

Maurice Stovall (Buccaneers)

Dan Stevenson (Patriots)

2007 Draft:

Brady Quinn (Browns)

Ryan Harris (Broncos)

Dan Santucci (Bengals)

2008 Draft

John Carlson (Seahawks)

John Sullivan (Vikings)

2009 Draft

No one of note on offense

2010 Draft

Jimmy Clausen (Panthers)

Golden Tate (Seahawks)

Sam Young (Cowboys )

So under his tenure, they consistently sent guys to the league. When they get there, I don't think you can blame Weis for them not becoming All-Pros. Once they get drafted (which Weis helped in), it's to the players to make the most of their situation. Coach K has been fantastic at Duke getting players to the NBA and having great college teams, but Duke players don't exactly light the world on fire in the pros either.

Edited by maggsmaggs

It can be tougher to recruit at ND than at a public university. It's in a cold weather area and is a religious school, and they can't just pick any athlete. They have to pick one that actually did well in HS and one that they believe will survive academically.

Many top HS athletes are either turned off by those things or ND's coaches aren't allowed to recruit them by the administration due to the athlete's academic history.

So, in 5 years, ND has had 11 players actually drafted?

For a supposedly high-level franchise, with 7 five star recruits and 57 four star recruits according to numbers from a person earlier...that doesn't feel hugely impressive, and looking at the actual guys there, none of them have really shone big time in the show. I know you can't fully blame Weis for them not becoming all-pros, but you also can't give Weis credit for any of them becoming all-pros.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
So, in 5 years, ND has had 11 players actually drafted?

For a supposedly high-level franchise, with 7 five star recruits and 57 four star recruits according to numbers from a person earlier...that doesn't feel hugely impressive, and looking at the actual guys there, none of them have really shone big time in the show. I know you can't fully blame Weis for them not becoming all-pros, but you also can't give Weis credit for any of them becoming all-pros.

The real question, Balta...

How many 5 and 4 star recruits from HS overall actually get drafted?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
It can be tougher to recruit at ND than at a public university. It's in a cold weather area and is a religious school, and they can't just pick any athlete. They have to pick one that actually did well in HS and one that they believe will survive academically.

Many top HS athletes are either turned off by those things or ND's coaches aren't allowed to recruit them by the administration due to the athlete's academic history.

Notre Dame does not struggle recruiting.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
Notre Dame does not struggle recruiting.

We definitely hear that talk about how ND is at a recruiting disadvantage relative to other schools because of their academic standards, but it certainly seems that they do quite well on getting guys on the lists, and they're not the only high-level school with solid academics either.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
Yeah Notre Dame crying they have a disadvantage? That's ripe. It's typical ND too. We only struggle because our school is too good to get any player we want! Wahhhhh

I mean, it is an actual fact, Oklahoma and schools like that wind up graduating under 50% of their football players, that means they don't worry as much about those things, and that is going to limit ND's pools.

I don't feel like that winds up being a dominant effect though.