Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
TCU just won the Rose Bowl, I never want to hear any of you ever say that small school can't hang with the big schools ever again.

My gosh you just dont listen. This has never been an argument about a 1 game situation. It's been an argument about TCU/Boise winning a tournament or going through a major conference unscathed. They were dead on defense.

Either you have a horrible reading comp problem or youre just flat out trolling. Which is it?

Edited by zenryan

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:09 PM)
TCU just won the Rose Bowl, I never want to hear any of you ever say that small school can't hang with the big schools ever again.

In a one game situation has never been the question. Could TCU go undefeated in a major conference is the question.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:15 PM)
My gosh you just dont listen. This has never been an argument about a 1 game situation. It's been an argument about TCU/Boise winning a tournament or going through a major conference unscathed. They were dead on defense.

Either you have a horrible reading comp problem or youre just flat out trolling. Which is it?

I'm just happy the little guy just shut all of you up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
In a one game situation has never been the question. Could TCU go undefeated in a major conference is the question.

Well, actually, I'm not sure either of those is the question. They decide the title by using the first of those options to answer questions about the second, and they use the 2nd to choose who has the right to go after the first.

Dizzying.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)

Unfortunately, they are joining the Big East. :P

I'm tired of the Cinderella talk by some though (not on here). Cinderella isn't ranked third and isn't favored to win.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
I gotta tell you - pretty cool seeing TCU get this win. I know, I know, it's "cheap" against Wisconsin and all... right? But that defense held them pretty good for 3.5 quarters and it was barely enough.

You'd be pretty hard pressed to find someone that didn't think they were a top 5 team coming in.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
Unfortunately, they are joining the Big East. :P

I'm tired of the Cinderella talk by some though (not on here). Cinderella isn't ranked third and isn't favored to win.

agreed...especially because we basically saw this exact script a few years ago with the boise oklahoma game...tcu is a legit program with a rich history too. yes they play in a non AQ, but its not as if they came completely out of nowhere like george mason

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
agreed...especially because we basically saw this exact script a few years ago with the boise oklahoma game...tcu is a legit program with a rich history too. yes they play in a non AQ, but its not as if they came completely out of nowhere like george mason

I suppose it makes for a nice story though.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
Cool, so you arent trolling and you do have a reading comprehension problem.

Guess so, but no matter what me and the other Boise/TCU supporters threw at you in that argument was immediately shot down to the point were we just gave up so its nice to have this. I guess the Boise's and TCU's of the world have no chance ever though because whenever they beat someone everyone just points out its a just a "one game situation."

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
Guess so, but no matter what me and the other Boise/TCU supporters threw at you in that argument was immediately shot down to the point were we just gave up so its nice to have this. I guess the Boise's and TCU's of the world have no chance ever though because whenever they beat someone everyone just points out its a just a "one game situation."

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I think you can't compare TCU and Boise. Going thru the Mountain West undefeated is much more of a feat than going thru the WAC.

At least in my opinion, TCU and Boise State are totally different situations for two reasons (Yes, I know Boise beat TCU last year. s*** happens) :

1) TCU doesn't spend like a little guy. Their football spending was over $20 mil last season, good for 11th in the country. Boise State, by comparison, spent only $6.85 mil.

2) TCU gets a lot of very good athletes from Texas and convinces them to play defense. Boise doesn't have the same kind of recruiting foothold.

There were definitely some people saying TCU and Boise couldn't play with some of the better teams in the country, so lets not say that didn't happen.

Happy to see TCU win and yes they could play with Oregon or Auburn but unfortunately we'll never know.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
At least in my opinion, TCU and Boise State are totally different situations for two reasons (Yes, I know Boise beat TCU last year. s*** happens) :

1) TCU doesn't spend like a little guy. Their football spending was over $20 mil last season, good for 11th in the country. Boise State, by comparison, spent only $6.85 mil.

2) TCU gets a lot of very good athletes from Texas and convinces them to play defense. Boise doesn't have the same kind of recruiting foothold.

I agree, especially about the talent in Texas point. TCU can recruit almost by default. Of course, with Dalton gone it will be interesting how good they are when they actually join the Big East.

How often in history has TCU been able to say they were the best team in the state of Texas?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)

The Boise-Oklahoma game was a bit different though. That was a classic cinderella upset with Boise pulling out trick plays left and right to catch Oklahoma off guard. Yes, they executed almost perfectly all game, but you didn't get the sense that Boise would win that game more than once or twice if they played 10 times.

This game tonight was a much more traditionally played game. There wasn't much razzle dazzle and TCU went toe-to-toe with Wisconsin until that final drive, when it was clear they were getting warn down by Wisconsin's size advantage on the OLine. I had the feeling that TCU would beat Wisconsin 4-6 times if they played 10 times. It was a pretty evenly played game.

I don't think many of these non-automatic qualifiers could survive in a big-time power conference, but the Boise State, Utah, and TCU programs of the last several years are getting awfully close (yes, I know, this year's Utah team was not particularly strong).

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
Remember, TCU is also 10th for Division I bowl teams in football spending.

11th. The article published recently only counted bowl teams, with the massive caveat being that Texas and their $25 mil a year program didn't make a bowl this season.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 1, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
11th. The article published recently only counted bowl teams, with the massive caveat being that Texas and their $25 mil a year program didn't make a bowl this season.

That's why I said bowl teams. :P

Well I have thought all along that TCU lost the Fiesta Bowl to Boise State because they were heartbroken with the way Championship Sunday went (Texas and especially Cincinnati looked like they were going to lose, but instead both won and TCU just got to play another mid major in their BCS Bowl) and didn't really show up. Today didn't do a lot to take that thought out of my head, because although Wisconsin did have some critical mistakes today, TCU still beat an outstanding BCS team today in a neutral setting.

People do need to drop the "this proves blah blah blah" crap. Nobody realistically would say that a team like TCU or Boise State can't win in one game scenarios, it's already been proven they can by Utah vs. Alabama in the Sugar Bowl (and in pretty dominating fashion), Boise State against Va. Tech in DC earlier this year, Boise State against OU in the Fiesta Bowl (although that OU team they beat wasn't nearly as good as the aforementioned Alabama and Va. Tech teams, or the Wisconsin team TCU beat today), and so on. The question is does a team like that deserve to play for the title despite playing in a vastly inferior conference. I think the argument is different for 2010 TCU and say 2008 Utah than it is Boise State teams though, because the Mountain West is a better conference than the WAC and quite frankly, TCU and Utah that year have better players and more depth than Boise State.

This argument is kind of silly now anyways though with Utah going to the Pac 12, and TCU gone to the Big East after next season. Boise State will still be the awesome team in the garbage conference, but TCU and Utah will be removed from the debate. I'm not sure how Boise State will ever get to the title game quite frankly, next year might be their only chance with their one conference shot vs. TCU (on the road IIRC) and games vs. Georgia in Atlanta and at home against Nevada, among others. They actually have a pretty good schedule next year, which means they'll probably lose a couple.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Congrats to TCU, but they arent a little guy and claiming they represent AQ's is some what hilarious. TCU was in the SWC, which was one of the conferences that helped create the BCS. If anything, TCU helped to create the system that kept out AQ's. If it wasnt for some Texas politics TCU would have joined the Big 12 over Baylor, and thus would have always had an AQ. They are now moving to the Big East where they will have an AQ. They arent comparable to Boise State, they are just a team that kind of got caught up in a conference shuffle.

As for the game, it was frustrating and if not for a missed field goal may have gone the other way. Wisconsin ran all over TCU, but just didnt finish as well as they had been. Bielema also was to conservative, at the end of the 2nd quarter he settled for a field goal instead of trying for a touchdown. Also have to shake your head at the time out situation, but at the end of the day Wisconsin had 3 downs to stop them and they couldnt.

At least it was a good game and I think that everyone who watched it will respect both teams for their strengths.