Orlando Hudson Signs With Twins

RockRaines

In terms of offense the Sox have signed a skinnier twig boy than Alexei, a KC Royal, and someone who spells his name wrong. Sox have lost two sure shot 25 HR hitters. Sox have not moved the fences in 20 ft.

???

This bat could probably be had for cheap and would actually probably exponentially improve this ridiculous offensive roster.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
In terms of offense the Sox have signed a skinnier twig boy than Alexei, a KC Royal, and someone who spells his name wrong. Still no bat in our batter's park. This bat could probably be had for cheap and would actually probably exponentially improve this ridiculous offensive roster.

Aww, he's cuuuuttteee...

Just so some of you don't sled into a tree on this one.

O-Dog is a good player... but he is definitely on the decline.

Despite winning another GG last year... several scouts think his range is very average now.

Ronnie Belliard took his starting job at the end of the season last year in LA.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)

Despite winning another GG last year... several scouts think his range is very average now.

The only question is if he makes the Twins better. He does, and that's what we have to worry about.

Holding out that our pitching can be lights out this year. (I.E. guys having career years in there as well) The Twins once again.. our biggest competition not to mention, I love their depth. Only question mark they have of course is the rotation. I think Liriano will be very good personally, but it's the back end we will see.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)

Things people forget about that situation: Belliard hit .355/.399/.616/1.015 over the final 2 months of the season and sitting down Hudson a few times a week kept him from reaching plate appearance based incentives.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
Things people forget about that situation: Belliard hit .355/.399/.616/1.015 over the final 2 months of the season and sitting down Hudson a few times a week kept him from reaching plate appearance based incentives.

Hudson had a 10 game hitting streak from July 31st to August 10th. From that point on, he put up a line of .244/.336/.366/.702. Hudson's a good player, but he's pretty streaky.

Hmmm...

CF- Span

2B- O-Dog

C- Mauer

1B- Morneau

DH- Kubel (some Thome)

RF- Cuddyer

SS- Hardy

LF- Young

3B- Harris/Punto

Or (what I think they will do when it's all and and done..)

CF- Span

2B- O-Dog

C- Mauer

1B- Morneau

LF- Kubel

RF- Cuddyer (just to break up the lefties)

DH- Thome

SS- Hardy

3B- Harris/Punto

Damn thats alot of OBP in that lineup. Should I chalk down Mauer or Morneau for MVP again? :D

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 01:39 AM)
Hudson had a 10 game hitting streak from July 31st to August 10th. From that point on, he put up a line of .244/.336/.366/.702. Hudson's a good player, but he's pretty streaky.

Wasn't he also really banged up last year though?

He's probably a guy that, at this point in his career, needs a lot of extra care/rest, esp. early in the year if you want him down the stretch, he's broken down the last 2 years at least. But the Twins do have a pretty deep team.

He might have fit well with a team looking to try a rotating DH that had opening for a PT infielder. Sigh.

whats scary is that they could always put cuddyer back at 3rd and Kubel in RF with Thome DHing

though cuddyer hasn't played 3rd since 05 so I doubt that happens...but offensively a lineup of Span, Hudson, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Kubel, Thome, Hardy, Young....goddamn

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
You could see this one coming a mile away.

The Twins weren't going into the season with Harris AND Punto starting, and they didn't feel they could count on Casilla, Tolbert or Buscher.

If it matters, Buscher signed with the Indians, so they were never going to count on him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
Holding out that our pitching can be lights out this year. (I.E. guys having career years in there as well) The Twins once again.. our biggest competition not to mention, I love their depth. Only question mark they have of course is the rotation. I think Liriano will be very good personally, but it's the back end we will see.

I agree, I think Liriano will be a lot better this year. Unfortunately, the Twins have to be the favorites at this point. I hate the Twins.

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
The Indians were high bidders for Orlando Hudson.

2 years - $10M + a club option with a buyout.

Not sure what Mark Shapiro was thinking there.

And interesting that Hudson decided to take a 1 year deal instead.

That just shows Hudson is more committed to winning than getting more money and going to a lesser team. He sees a much better opportunity in going to the postseason with the Twins, than he does with the Indians. Gotta give that man alot of respect.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 6, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
That just shows Hudson is more committed to winning than getting more money and going to a lesser team. He sees a much better opportunity in going to the postseason with the Twins, than he does with the Indians. Gotta give that man alot of respect.

Cleveland's money to Hudson would have been deferred, so it really doesn't prove anything about him wanting to win or taking lesser money. He took the contract that was his biggest payday for 2010. His contract also states that Minny cannot offer him arbitration if he reaches Type A status. How's that for committing to a winner? Hudson did what 99% of all free agent baseball players do coming off a so-so season, which is take the best one year offer, and hope you play well so that you can strike it rich on your next deal. I really don't think what he did is all that praiseworthy, Ace.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
I agree, I think Liriano will be a lot better this year. Unfortunately, the Twins have to be the favorites at this point. I hate the Twins.

MAN I hope KW makes a counter move... I hate the twins too and I won't be able to stand it if they beat us again.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
whats scary is that they could always put cuddyer back at 3rd and Kubel in RF with Thome DHing

though cuddyer hasn't played 3rd since 05 so I doubt that happens...but offensively a lineup of Span, Hudson, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Kubel, Thome, Hardy, Young....goddamn

Basically they are "versatile" with good players

We are "versatile" with makeshift average players that are question marks

Williams better get off his #@% and do something