Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
Community Cards: Johnny Damon

Pot Size: 14 Million

Tigers to win the pot: 86%

Sox to win the pot: 14%

It just seems to me kind of odd, the best Damon could do yesterday was a one year contract for $4 million with half of it deferred, and now today he's at over $14 million for 2 years. Something, somewhere doesn't add up. Either he doesn't have that particular offer on the table or Boras scammed someone into believing that another team had made a similar offer. I can't see 2 teams all of a sudden going that high. For one year and $7 million, maybe $8 million, yes, but not 2 years. Maybe the Sox are offering him 1 year at $5-6 million with some incentives. At least then if he gets paid, he's put up some numbers.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 08:03 PM)
Damon's not all that

He is actually the perfect DH for Ozzie. Still has speed, is a contact guy, hits the gaps, and in our park can hit over 20 homers.

Just keep him out of the outfield.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 02:29 AM)
It just seems to me kind of odd, the best Damon could do yesterday was a one year contract for $4 million with half of it deferred, and now today he's at over $14 million for 2 years. Something, somewhere doesn't add up. Either he doesn't have that particular offer on the table or Boras scammed someone into believing that another team had made a similar offer. I can't see 2 teams all of a sudden going that high. For one year and $7 million, maybe $8 million, yes, but not 2 years. Maybe the Sox are offering him 1 year at $5-6 million with some incentives. At least then if he gets paid, he's put up some numbers.

I agree. Something doesn't sound all on the up and up.

Apparently Damon's wife wants a bigger, more metropolitan city (according to Rosenthal). Has to bode well for us. Damon has put up .800+ OPS seasons most of the last seven years. I would offer him a one-year deal for $7 million with an option for 2011 based on reaching certain statistical benchmarks. Like 500 PAs or something else. That way, it means he was healthy this year. Also would be nice to make it performance related too, so that he has to at least perform well to get the second-year option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
I'm just worried that a lot of that better-ness may be related to the Yankee stadium. Like it or not, he's actually quite a bit older than Kotsay.

Damon is 2 years older than Kotsay, but has had 2 less back surgeries. I think its pretty unfair to give the stadium all the credit for Damon's performance. He's almost at 2500 hits for his career. He's been an exceptional player who has been on winners, and more importantly, played a key role for the winners. You do bring up a good point though, and there was an article on this board about it yesterday I believe, 36 seems like a magic number age-wise these days.

I am of the opinion Damon still will be a good player for a couple more years at least. I think the Sox need him. It seemed like a no brainer when his price seemed to be $5-6 million for one year, but the Tigers may have bailed Boras out again. If they have, I doubt Illich will be very popular at the owners meetings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
I'm just worried that a lot of that better-ness may be related to the Yankee stadium. Like it or not, he's actually quite a bit older than Kotsay.

Still doesn't matter, any ballpark, any city, any day: Damon is better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)

Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting you would not rather have Johnny Damon than Kotsay??!??!??!?!?!?

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
I get the Yankee Stadium thing, but our park's pretty home run happy. And honestly, even if Damon hits 0 HR's, he's a more productive hitter than Mark Kotsay.

Damon has hit .298 with 5 home runs in US Cellular

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)

Not when Boras is deceiving everyone involved. I'm sure all of the numbers you are hearing are made up by Boras and eventually one team, not the Sox, will believe them and sign the player for the imaginary number. This is what he is great at, getting teams to bid against themselves through any means possible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)

Yankee Stadium certainly gave the slugging percentage a bit of a boost, but he had very similar numbers in 2008 to what he did in 2009. And he's still a much better hitter than Mark Kotsay.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
Heyman says "the Tigers' offer may actually be a bit north of $14 million over 2 years, but damon still may prefer 1 yr. chisox, braves also trying"

Looks like I was right if thats true, and honestly.. it makes the most sense for Damon.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
I take it Aj and Damon are really tight?

Yea they are good friends. I caught what A.J. said on CTL. He and Damon both are neighbors in Florida, not to mention kinda grew up playing baseball. (I believe they both went to the same H.S. and played high school baseball together) He also heard the Damon rumors (though that might have been from Kaplan telling him too), and is definitely on board. Says he would love to have him, good friend of his, also said it would be good to have him at the top of the order for Becks, Quentin and Konerko to drive him in. Then after that.. alot of Gator/Meyer talk.. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
Sounds like we're going to have to keep the faith for the night. Regardless, i'm very encouraged to see Kenny throw his hat in the ring.

Merkin was quoted as saying he believes the sox had about 4 Mil to throw at Damon. If thats the case were not looking good, but if JR can actually stretch the payroll some like he has said in the past then we got a chance.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)
Merkin was quoted as saying he believes the sox had about 4 Mil to throw at Damon. If thats the case were not looking good, but if JR can actually stretch the payroll some like he has said in the past then we got a chance.

I figured 4 million already was the stretch.