Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
I like the idea of rotating Damon and Jones at DH, and giving Damon further at bats by playing in the OF. I still think Jones will have a good year. But if you sign Damon, you should try to get him 400+ at bats, most at DH.

As long as he's not hurt, should be closer to 600 than 400. If we do sign him, he right away becomes one of our best hitters and if Jones needs a day in the lineup then Pierre should be the one doing the sitting, not Damon.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
As long as he's not hurt, should be closer to 600 than 400. If we do sign him, he right away becomes one of our best hitters and if Jones needs a day in the lineup then Pierre should be the one doing the sitting, not Damon.

Yeah, when I said 400+, I was thinking more ideally like 500. 400 at DH, and then spending some time on the corners for the other 100. The other 200 DH at bats can go to Jones.

Tigers more serious, but my guess is the Braves will sneak in there somehow. The Sox are reported to be intersted by MLB.com TV guys. Reynolds said he liked the Sox and thinks Damon could be the impact player we need, but I don't see KW and Ozzie jumping up and down

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
This offense better click this year or Guillen and Williams will be on the hotseat this year. This pitching staff is good enough to compete now. All we need is a competent offense.

That comment doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would Kenny be on the hot seat? Because he wouldn't outbid the Tigers for Damon? Williams' has had a pretty solid offseason thus far with the acquisitions of Pierre and Putz, not to mention Peavy at the end of last season. Obviously i'd like to have another Left-handed hitter like Damon, but not getting him or Thome won't put him on the hot seat.

Also, I realize this may be a little out there, but at one point in his career, Jones was a very solid player, so who knows, maybe he'll recapture some of that.

QUOTE (Special K @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
That comment doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would Kenny be on the hot seat? Because he wouldn't outbid the Tigers for Damon? Williams' has had a pretty solid offseason thus far with the acquisitions of Pierre and Putz, not to mention Peavy at the end of last season. Obviously i'd like to have another Left-handed hitter like Damon, but not getting him or Thome won't put him on the hot seat.

Also, I realize this may be a little out there, but at one point in his career, Jones was a very solid player, so who knows, maybe he'll recapture some of that.

We have a glarding hole in our offense that Stevie Wonder could see. This is unacceptable to have a "maybe" in the most important offensive position on the team.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
That's highly debatable.

It's "Designated Hitter" the entire position was made for a guy whose really good on the offensive end and really bad on the defensive one. Right now, we have three former gold glove defenders with questionable offensive abilty in the spot.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
That's highly debatable.

I'd agree.

The issue isn't that we have a question mark at the DH spot, the issue IMO is how many other question marks we have on the team. If some of those question marks with the bat turn into bad answers, then as it stands now we won't have anyone picking up the slack. Improving the DH is an obvious way to help, and if KW chooses not to do so (and in the case of Thome, it's obvious he chose not to do so since money wasn't the issue), then yeah, he should be putting himself on the hot seat.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
It's "Designated Hitter" the entire position was made for a guy whose really good on the offensive end and really bad on the defensive one. Right now, we have three former gold glove defenders with questionable offensive abilty in the spot.

So you would say the best 13 AL hitters are the 13 DHs on the other ballclubs?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)

That is a pretty shallow definition of DH.

BTW, the Sox have a guy who put up 21 Hrs in less than 100 games last season and a guy who put up an .842 OPS, in the spot as well.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
You mean the one with Milton Bradley in the running for it? Yeah, i'll take it. Oh, and they have the best defense in all of baseball. They can afford to gamble anyway.

Griffey is the DH and he's a worse hitter than Andruw Jones. The fact that you are lauding Milton Bradley is beyond hilarious.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)

BTW, the Sox have a guy who put up 21 Hrs in less than 100 games last season and a guy who put up an .842 OPS, in the spot as well.

Huh? Who are you talking about? Quentin put up 21 HR's in 99 games but didn't put an .842 OPS in any split. Neither Jones nor Kotsay put up those numbers in any of their splits either.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
So you would say the best 13 AL hitters are the 13 DHs on the other ballclubs?

No. By no means would I say that. I think I spoke in too absolute of terms in my previous post. I just happen to think that the DH position should be reserved as a primarily offensive position. I don't mean to say the premier offensive talent cannot be found around the field that would be an impossibly ignorant opinion to hold. Instead, the White Sox, given the circumstances of their current makeup as a ballclub and the ballpark in which they play should have a focus on finding guaranteed offensive production for an offensive position.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
Griffey is the DH and he's a worse hitter than Andruw Jones. The fact that you are lauding Milton Bradley is beyond hilarious.

You mean the guy who led the league in OPS a year ago? You must have been one of the people who assumed Nick Swisher was an awful player given his one year on the Sox. People are allowed to have off-years, you know. Bradley is increasingly erratic as a player and a human being, but he is a far better option at DH then Jones, Vizquel, and Kotsay.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)

Designated Hitter. It’s in the damn name. It’s not a position reserved for people who can’t hit. It’s not shallow by definition.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
You mean the guy who led the league in OPS a year ago? You must have been one of the people who assumed Nick Swisher was an awful player given his one year on the Sox. People are allowed to have off-years, you know. Bradley is increasingly erratic as a player and a human being, but he is a far better option at DH then Jones, Vizquel, and Kotsay.

No, I mean the guy that led the league in getting thrown off the team. I love how your Sox DH rotation never includes Konerko, Quentin, Nix or AJ. It really builds your case.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
No, I mean the guy that led the league in getting thrown off the team. I love how your Sox DH rotation never includes Konerko, Quentin, Nix or AJ. It really builds your case.

AJ will never DH for ozzie, not if he only has 1 backup catcher.

Nix shouldn't be DHing either unless he becomes a totally new hitter this year.