Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
Granted, your DH might not be able to play defense, but does it kill you that much to have one guy who can hit and not play the field?

Not at all. I don't understand why anyone is against a guy who can only hit even if he is a beast at the plate. In the AL there is a position for guys who hit but don't play the field. Look at all the Frank Thomas love on this board. I don't mind the rotating DH as long as the guys DHing can hit like a guy who deserves every day playing time. I don't see where it matters that particular day if they can field or not.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
Granted, your DH might not be able to play defense

That's why he's a designated hitter. I just don't understand what some people don't understand about that(not talking about you lost) but not signing a player to dh because he can't play the field is beyond stupid.

KW was on talking baseball this morning I missed the Damon talk but one point that was brought up is the rotating DH is to used to get favorable matchups. The first caller had a good point. Good teams dictate the matchups, bad teams try to make them as favorable as they can.

KW said the rotating DH is used to rest guys from the field while still keeping their bats in the lineup.

Edited by Jenks Heat

If Detroit and the White Sox offer similar money, my bet is Damon picks the Sox. He wants to play for a bigger payday in 2011, ala Bobby Abreu. To do that, he needs to put up good numbers [the Cell would be better for him than Det.] and the larger market of Chicago would get him more publicity. If the Sox are out of it come July, he could always be moved to a contending team-which would suit the Sox and Damon [as the larger stage of the playoffs again would help him land a decent contract in 2011.

If he's against a 2 year deal, it shows Damon wants to keep his 2011 open for a return to the Yanks. Signing with Det. for 2 years could be a nightmare for him.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
If Detroit and the White Sox offer similar money, my bet is Damon picks the Sox. He wants to play for a bigger payday in 2011, ala Bobby Abreu. To do that, he needs to put up good numbers [the Cell would be better for him than Det.] and the larger market of Chicago would get him more publicity. If the Sox are out of it come July, he could always be moved to a contending team-which would suit the Sox and Damon [as the larger stage of the playoffs again would help him land a decent contract in 2011.

If he's against a 2 year deal, it shows Damon wants to keep his 2011 open for a return to the Yanks. Signing with Det. for 2 years could be a nightmare for him.

I'd love to get Damon if he was playing for a contract in 2011.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)

You do realize he just put up very good numbers in the biggest market there is, yet is trying to find a suitor for 2010? That kind of negates the whole "sign with the White Sox to get noticed" theory.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
You do realize he just put up very good numbers in the biggest market there is, yet is trying to find a suitor for 2010? That kind of negates the whole "sign with the White Sox to get noticed" theory.

If he's not taking a 2 yr deal with Det. for what has been reported, then he's playing for 2011. That 2 yr deal with Det. could all be a smokescreen though. But if it's between Det. and Chi. for similar cash [esp. at this point, with ST right around the corner], my point holds.

I'm beginning to believe the Tigers 2-year offer is nothing more than a rumor started by Boras' people to try and create competition (and improve the offers) for Damon.

I wouldn't be surprised if KW thinks the same thing.

Edited by scenario

I don't understand why the Yankees would want him back in 2011 if they didn't want him this year. His numbers in 09 will be hard to top.

Also with the worst farm system in baseball, no way sox get AGonz or Fielder. It will really bury our system if we do, and that's even if the Pads or Brewers are interested after so many flopped Sox prospects.

Edited by b-Rye

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
I don't understand why the Yankees would want him back in 2011 if they didn't want him this year. His numbers in 09 will be hard to top.

Also with the worst farm system in baseball, no way sox get AGonz or Fielder. It will really bury our system if we do, and that's even if the Pads or Brewers are interested after so many flopped Sox prospects.

Do we really have the worst farm system, or is that just according to Keith Law.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
KW was on talking baseball this morning I missed the Damon talk but one point that was brought up is the rotating DH is to used to get favorable matchups. The first caller had a good point. Good teams dictate the matchups, bad teams try to make them as favorable as they can.

KW said the rotating DH is used to rest guys from the field while still keeping their bats in the lineup.

" Good teams dictate the matchups, bad teams try to make them as favorable as they can."

That strategy works in terms of facing a bullpen, but your starting lineup is based on who is starting against you. It is a reactionary concept. You can't force a matchup against your lineup. It's not ike the opposition has a "pinch pitcher" you are gonna force them into starting because of the card to took to the ump before first pitch.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
Do we really have the worst farm system, or is that just according to Keith Law.

It doesn't matter. We have some mlb-ready or near-ready pieces that other teams want. They could care less about the overall depth of our system.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
It doesn't matter. We have some mlb-ready or near-ready pieces that other teams want. They could care less about the overall depth of our system.

I meant to say essentially this, but hit add reply before I did by accident.

The facts are:

A package that could have Flowers-Hudson-D2-Mitchell-Viciedo-Morel-Retherford (obviously not all of them) and some throw in's could match anyones.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
" Good teams dictate the matchups, bad teams try to make them as favorable as they can."

That strategy works in terms of facing a bullpen, but your starting lineup is based on who is starting against you. It is a reactionary concept. You can't force a matchup against your lineup. It's not ike the opposition has a "pinch pitcher" you are gonna force them into starting because of the card to took to the ump before first pitch.

Shouldn't that really be "Good pitchers dictate matchups." Most of the time, in relation to who the hitter is anyway, that is the only variable worth considering.

I can think of many times when a team has shuffled a pitching rotation to get the best matchup for a team going into an important series.