Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
I'm really trying hard not to get my hopes up. This is about money, and Damon is only holding out for more money from Detroit. They will offer it to him eventually.

It's been reported that Damon's wife is against the idea of living in the Detroit area. If that's true, it's probably not just about money.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
It's been reported that Damon's wife is against the idea of living in the Detroit area. If that's true, it's probably not just about money.

Damon's wife is smart.

marlena_si.jpg

You'd listen to her, too.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
Believe what you will, but casual fans count and there will be a bump in ticket sales if Damon signs. Much more than a Juan Pierre trade or Alex Rios pick up.......

FWIW, Hawk has confirmed the golf story. He apparently would love the Sox to add Damon.

Completely agree with this statement. Would enhance the buzz in the media about this team, pop ticket sales, etc. The guy's a winner, fan favorite, clubhouse favorite, fits the profile of the team... Quote in the '05 ALDS after they lost to the Sox, "they remind me a lot of us last year" -- he wants it! Would be so awesome.

Maybe Alex will agree to give back some of his undeserved salary to make it happen.

Loved watching the Bekins moving truck loading at US Cellular today...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
Believe what you will, but casual fans count and there will be a bump in ticket sales if Damon signs. Much more than a Juan Pierre trade or Alex Rios pick up.......

FWIW, Hawk has confirmed the golf story. He apparently would love the Sox to add Damon.

well, chit.

there goes all my "where would he play?" jokes.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)

It could be that Boras leaked that Damon's wife was against the idea of living in the Detroit area. There's just too much smoke at this point.

As usual, it seems as though the only facts we can suss are that Detroit is offering more money than we are. We can't we just match the g___damned offer for f**king once?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
It would probably be good bye to the 12th pitcher, unless the Sox make a trade, which is extremely possible.

I'd float Kotsay for a lefty, and see who bites. Renyel Pinto is out of options for the Marlins, and they might be looking to replace Ross Gload.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
I'd float Kotsay for a lefty, and see who bites. Renyel Pinto is out of options for the Marlins, and they might be looking to replace Ross Gload.

That's a good point, Gload and Kotsay fill basically the same role at this point in their careers. But I doubt they trade Kotsay at this point.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
It could be that Boras leaked that Damon's wife was against the idea of living in the Detroit area. There's just too much smoke at this point.

As usual, it seems as though the only facts we can suss are that Detroit is offering more money than we are. We can't we just match the g___damned offer for f**king once?

The problem facing Boras if he did sign with the Sox is he would probably lose a pigeon in the Tigers. They have saved him many times.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
The problem facing Boras if he did sign with the Sox is he would probably lose a pigeon in the Tigers. They have saved him many times.

You have a very good point. Who else would have given Magglio all that money when he was injured...?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)

He could be using the Tigers against the Sox though.

There hasn't really been anything from either team. All of this is from Boras is it not?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
SI_JonHeyman

regarding rumors mrs. damon prefers chicago to detroit, johnny just texted: "But its up to me. She's going wherever I go.''

Johnny will be sticking to the good old internet for a couple of weeks because of that.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
SI_JonHeyman

regarding rumors mrs. damon prefers chicago to detroit, johnny just texted: "But its up to me. She's going wherever I go, right now, i want her in the kitchen making me a sandwich.''

FIXED? Ah, sexism. Seriously, though Damon should look into being a touch more diplomatic.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
SI_JonHeyman

regarding rumors mrs. damon prefers chicago to detroit, johnny just texted: "But its up to me. She's going wherever I go.''

I think we get him, but he doesn't want people saying oooh, he just followed his wife. Basically I got a feeling Johnny is saying, Jerry, just give me a little more dough. I'll take less, but at the same time I can't take half of what else is out there.