Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
I don't usually do this, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it will definitely be a team in the midwest. Call me crazy, but I just got that feeling...

I’ll even say that if he does sign he will be paying taxes, and potentially have the right to vote in the next presidential election.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Either Kenny's being confident about the press conference on Sunday where we announce the deal...or we ended up swinging and missing on this.

I think that's a little dire way of looking at it if they don't sign him, it's not like the Sox went head to head with money and years and he balked at the White Sox. From what I gather, at this point it seems the Sox would like to add Damon at their price. All off-season the Sox haven't gone crazy trying to get another bat in here, which I personally disagree with, but that's the plan they're going with. They've kicked the tires on a few hitters, but haven't gone crazy to get someone. This is with both JR and another exec saying that there's money to add another player. I think KW didn't see a game changer in the market this off-season and will look at the trade market where he's made many quality moves.

That's one thing I really like about KW's and the White Sox payroll management. They value a player and rarely go over that value in years or money. Overspending can get out of control quickly. The Cubs have a higher payroll than the Sox and because Jim Hendry made his own markets or outbid teams for players the Cubs were basically frozen this off-season and could pretty much only switch dollar for dollar.

Again, I think Damon would fit in on this team and like many others I feel the Sox are a bat short at this point, however, I don't think Damon is "chuck your game plan out the window" player. I would be a happy Sox fan if they land him, but would trust the org if they didn't value him at what he wants.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
It's got to be the Tigers. I can't wait to hear KW say something clever about only having 50 cents to spend instead of a dollar. It's times like this where I'm sure glad we're wasting so much money on Rios.

Don't even get me started.

My react-o-meter is currently exactly halfway between "f*** that guy!" and "Hooray!" so I guess we'll see. I don't like the sound of Kenny's comment either, but it could also be that both sides have made their final offers and are awaiting a decision by Saturday. In the meantime, Kenny has s*** to do.

I see the current AL Central situation like this:

1. Twins - slight favorites

2. Sox - solid #2, very close to Twins

3. Detroit - solid #3, a few games worse than the top 2 and a few games better than #4

If Damon signs with us then IMO it makes us the immediate favorite in the division. If Damon goes to the Tigers it closes the gap considerably between the Sox and Tigers, setting up a 3-horse race for the division. Hopefully Damon's wife leads him by the finger in the right direction. She doesn't like that f***hole called Detroit, and who can blame her?

"If we have the opportunity to get really better, the money will be there," Reinsdorf said. "I wouldn't hesitate to take the chance if something really good comes along."

That's a quote from JR from this off-season, originally posted by Chw42

JR has done nothing in the past with the White Sox for me not to believe this. Now does this mean he's going to break the bank and overspend? No, but just because many people believe that Damon is the player that fits this description doesn't mean the organization does.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
JR has done nothing in the past with the White Sox for me not to believe this. Now does this mean he's going to break the bank and overspend? No, but just because many people believe that Damon is the player that fits this description doesn't mean the organization does.

I completely agree, and while he's a good player, he's not someone you break the bank for. If he's getting a 2 year deal from Detroit, or even a 1 yr/9 mil contract like I heard yesterday, then you wish him luck and hope he sucks.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
That's one thing I really like about KW's and the White Sox payroll management. They value a player and rarely go over that value in years or money. Overspending can get out of control quickly. The Cubs have a higher payroll than the Sox and because Jim Hendry made his own markets or outbid teams for players the Cubs were basically frozen this off-season and could pretty much only switch dollar for dollar.

I agree in general, but Kenny broke that rule big-time with Rios. One could argue that Rios' contract froze Kenny out of the Damon/Abreu sweepstakes.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
I agree in general, but Kenny broke that rule big-time with Rios. One could argue that Rios' contract froze Kenny out of the Damon/Abreu sweepstakes.

Yeah, they do break the rule sometimes, the multi-year deal to MB and the PK deal they went an extra year or two that I think they normally would. One could also argue that with his defense taken into consideration Rios can bounce back and still be a valuable player... still overpayed? possibly yes, but while they're not a mega payroll team, the Sox still have a high enough payroll to have a few overpayed guys on it.

and again, I will point to the JR quote above, if the Sox thought either was a difference maker they would have found the money.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
"If we have the opportunity to get really better, the money will be there," Reinsdorf said. "I wouldn't hesitate to take the chance if something really good comes along."

When that quote was posted I think there was someone mentioning Damon as possibly that player. I didn't think he meant Damon then and I still don't now. A Damon signing now would represent nothing more than our owner helping our normally very good GM pull his head out of his ass with regards to the DH clusterf*** situation. IMO JR was talking about a major star, probably Adrian since the Sox had been exploring that.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)

I agree that Damon isn't this player (and Kenny/JR appear to believe so as well). It'd be nice to have him round out the lineup, but he's not a game-changer.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 06:16 PM)
Yeah, they do break the rule sometimes, the multi-year deal to MB and the PK deal they went an extra year or two that I think they normally would. One could also argue that with his defense taken into consideration Rios can bounce back and still be a valuable player... still overpayed? possibly yes, but while they're not a mega payroll team, the Sox still have a high enough payroll to have a few overpayed guys on it.

and again, I will point to the JR quote above, if the Sox thought either was a difference maker they would have found the money.

The thing I'll counter about Rios is that KW and JR knew what their finances were going to look like this offseason. I can't believe they went ahead and took on all of Rios' contract with the knowledge they'd have so little money to spend.

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams plans to address the Johnny Damon situation on Sunday, according to Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald.

"I will talk about this on Sunday," said Williams, his first public comment regarding the free agent outfielder. Gregor reminds that Williams has a long history of ignoring media requests when he's on the verge of making a trade or signing a free agent. Coincidentally, Sunday is the day pitchers and catchers report to Glendale. Gregor takes this to mean that Williams already knows that Damon has agreed to sign with the Tigers. It's just speculation at the moment, so stay tuned. Feb. 18 - 11:54 am et

Source: Daily Herald

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
I agree that Damon isn't this player (and Kenny/JR appear to believe so as well). It'd be nice to have him round out the lineup, but he's not a game-changer.

I disagree. I think Damon being on this team could be the difference between the Sox or the Twins winning the division.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
My react-o-meter is currently exactly halfway between "f*** that guy!" and "Hooray!" so I guess we'll see. I don't like the sound of Kenny's comment either, but it could also be that both sides have made their final offers and are awaiting a decision by Saturday. In the meantime, Kenny has s*** to do.

I see the current AL Central situation like this:

1. Twins - slight favorites

2. Sox - solid #2, very close to Twins

3. Detroit - solid #3, a few games worse than the top 2 and a few games better than #4

If Damon signs with us then IMO it makes us the immediate favorite in the division. If Damon goes to the Tigers it closes the gap considerably between the Sox and Tigers, setting up a 3-horse race for the division. Hopefully Damon's wife leads him by the finger in the right direction. She doesn't like that f***hole called Detroit, and who can blame her?

I don't.

The AL Central will be Sox vs Detroit this year. IMO, with the loss of the Twins 10th player, their home record isn't going to be as stocked with free wins anymore.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
Yeah, they do break the rule sometimes, the multi-year deal to MB and the PK deal they went an extra year or two that I think they normally would.

The PK deal was market value (and, IIRC, less than what the Orioles allegedly offered him). Mark's deal was only one more year than what the Sox typically offer post-arb pitchers, but he's obviously a special case (like PK). That said, Kenny got Mark to sign for WAY BELOW his market value (remember Zito signing for $120M?). I imagine that Mark could've gotten at least another $20M on the FA market, it not more.

Indeed. JR had no trouble finding the money for Peavy, and I believe that he's worth every penny.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)

Kenny was willing to go 5/$75M with Hunter, so Rios isn't a problem. And I'm not buying any of this "Kenny would take that move back if he could" garbage either (not that you're saying it, but it keeps getting said). Rios is talented as all hell and a signature KW-type acquisition. The contract will turn out to be a bargain if Rios can do what Kenny thinks he'll do, and I'm definitely trusting Kenny on this one.

Besides, Kenny is only in this spot now because, like an idiot, he worked backwards through the offseason, addressing the smallest areas of need first and waiting until the very last minute to try to plug the biggest hole on the team. If we have $4.5M now, then why the f*** couldn't we afford Matsui at $6.5M back in December? I'd rather have Matsui anyway. Kenny f***ed up this year. Hopefully he learns from this and goes back to being awesome again.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
I don't.

The AL Central will be Sox vs Detroit this year. IMO, with the loss of the Twins 10th player, their home record isn't going to be as stocked with free wins anymore.

You do realize that the Tigers took dramatic steps backwards, and the Twins not only improved their team, but took steps to make sure they can compete in their new ballpark, right?

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
Gregor takes this to mean that Williams already knows that Damon has agreed to sign with the Tigers. It's just speculation at the moment, so stay tuned. Feb. 18 - 11:54 am et

Source: Daily Herald

Why would this mean that Damon has decided to sign with the Tigers?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
You do realize that the Tigers took dramatic steps backwards, and the Twins not only improved their team, but took steps to make sure they can compete in their new ballpark, right?

I do, but I also realize that baseball is a funny game...and making changes that look good on paper don't translate to great performance.

The Twins, regardless of their attempt to retool that team to play without the dome, will NOT have a good of a home record anymore. The Dome easily gave them 5-10 cheap free wins EVERY season that they will no longer get.

You don't go from playing the kind of baseball they've played, relying on the field as they did to stock their home record such as they've ALWAYS done and switch it up overnight.

The Twins are going to crash and burn in that new stadium for the first year or two before they get used to it. No matter what case you make, the Twins lost *** THE GREATEST *** homefield advantage in baseball...and retooling a team to a new stadium won't bring that advantage back to them.