Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
OK, don't shoot the messenger and I have no idea who this dude is, he looks like a scout....but here are a few tweets:

An inside source to the negotiations between the ChiSox/Boras/ Johnny Damon stated that a deal is done pending physical #mlb #whitesox

about 4 hours ago from web

Source stated that Damon's contract with the White Sox is complex, and a healthy chunk will be based on player performance #mlb #whitesox

about 4 hours ago from web

http://twitter.com/Roger26N

This is a pretty random source. What he is reporting may actually add up:

So I'm supposed to believe that an NFL "scout" scooped EVERYONE by at least 5 hours on a baseball story involving one of the bigger names in the game and the highest profile sports agent on the planet?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 02:24 AM)
So I'm supposed to believe that an NFL "scout" scooped EVERYONE by at least 5 hours on a baseball story involving one of the bigger names in the game and the highest profile sports agent on the planet?

Of course not. However, assuming this dude is just making it up, it's kind of odd that he'd just randomly make up something like that, especially since it appears he's more an NFL guy.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
Of course not. However, assuming this dude is just making it up, it's kind of odd that he'd just randomly make up something like that, especially since it appears he's more an NFL guy.

It's just unbelievable enough to be believable.

You factor in KW's cryptic comment and this mystery scout saying the deal is all but done and you almost have to think it's possible. KW is famous for his no comment attitude, and his saying he'll discuss it on Sunday probably means we will already know one way or the other by then. Then there's the scout...it's almost laughably believable. If nothing else it'll make for an interesting Friday.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
Pierre is a .290-.300 hitter who is good for a .330-.350 OBP and steals 30+ bases a year at a 75-80% clip. That's a perfect #9 hitter and relegating him to the bench with a $4M salary is an incredibly dumb idea. It's even dumber to rely on him to play RF or CF when Quentin suffers yet another injury.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
You do realize that Pierre hasn't put up those types of numbers for more then a two month span in about 5 years, right?

Actually since 2006 Pierre is sporting a .294 BA, .330 OBP and is 192/251 in SB attempts, good for 76%.

So basically he is exactly what WCSox said he was, albeit on the low end.

And I know Pierre doesnt walk, and his OBP isn't ideal for a player such as himself but I didnt realize how this guy doesnt strike out. For his career he has more walks than K's. Whatever that's worth.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 07:45 AM)
all im going to say is damon hasn't signed with anyone and that boras is doing what he has always done. and on quick note w sox officals have not come out and said it was done deal or close.

Yeah but they never do that, so that is pretty much status quo for both sides

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 05:41 AM)
Actually since 2006 Pierre is sporting a .294 BA, .330 OBP and is 192/251 in SB attempts, good for 76%.

So basically he is exactly what WCSox said he was, albeit on the low end.

It's nice to see that some people read before expressing an opinion.

As for this NFL guy's post on Damon, my intuition tells me that it's a Boras plant. But I think that Boras would pay off somebody more credible than that.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)

As for this NFL guy's post on Damon, my intuition tells me that it's a Boras plant. But I think that Boras would pay off somebody more credible than that.

As I recall Damon was really good friends with some of the Patriot players from his days in Boston. Maybe he told some of them and this scout talked to them.

OK, it's reaching but it's a really boring Friday here.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)

Ok you got your point across with Bolt, no need to keep harping on it. He apologized, be done with it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)
As I recall Damon was really good friends with some of the Patriot players from his days in Boston. Maybe he told some of them and this scout talked to them.

OK, it's reaching but it's a really boring Friday here.

You never know. If the same thing had been "leaked" but with the Tigers mentioned there might be more of us speaking up. I think right now it's quiet optimism...or praying.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
the guy has all of like 20 tweets since November, so I seriously doubt he's just spewing BS to increase his following....

I'll believe it entirely when I see it, but I think there could be smoke there

It is just so......deep left field wtf.

Does anyone know what Blalock's defensive competencies are like at various positions nowadays? If the Damon thing doesn't work out, with Spring Training getting underway, I'd be Blalock would sign for cheap. If he can still play 3B and 1B at least at a mediocre level, then he's intriguing to me to be the LH DH component, allowing Kotsay to be the backup OF, and Jones to be the RH DH component.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
Does anyone know what Blalock's defensive competencies are like at various positions nowadays? If the Damon thing doesn't work out, with Spring Training getting underway, I'd be Blalock would sign for cheap. If he can still play 3B and 1B at least at a mediocre level, then he's intriguing to me to be the LH DH component, allowing Kotsay to be the backup OF, and Jones to be the RH DH component.

Blalock has played 32 games at 3b in the last 2 years, only 1 last year. He's played 100 games at 1b the last 2 years. His defensive #'s at 3b say he's quite simply bad there. His numbers at 1b in 2008 were poor and in 2009 were ok.

HE played 123 games total last year, a lot at DH, and only 65 the year before that. Given that I still think we need 2nd backup IF option, if Damon isn't signed, I would still consider him, but he should be considered an emergency backup at any position other than 1b. An emergency backup IF, of course, is exactly one of our current needs, if Nix doesn't come north with the team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Blalock has played 32 games at 3b in the last 2 years, only 1 last year. He's played 100 games at 1b the last 2 years. His defensive #'s at 3b say he's quite simply bad there. His numbers at 1b in 2008 were poor and in 2009 were ok.

HE played 123 games total last year, a lot at DH, and only 65 the year before that. Given that I still think we need 2nd backup IF option, if Damon isn't signed, I would still consider him, but he should be considered an emergency backup at any position other than 1b. An emergency backup IF, of course, is exactly one of our current needs, if Nix doesn't come north with the team.

I think I'd rather have Blalock than Nix, if that's what we're discussing. You already have Vizquel to back up the two MI positions and occasionally 3B, and Blalock can cover 3B on rare occasion, 1B more often, but mostly be a DH.