Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
"ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears that Scott Boras wants two things from the Tigers. First, he's asking them to remove all deferred money from the one-year $7MM deal they have offered. Second, he wants the Tigers to add a second year (Twitter links)."

Not going to happen with the Sox and Braves out of it.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
KW said there is always another move to make. There was no money for Matsui or Johnson because they are strictly DH's and don't fit into the philosophy the Sox are going with this year. Damon would still have allowed them to rotate players between the DH, OF and 1B. This would not be possible with the other two.

THE WHITE SOX ARE NOT GOING TO SIGN A DH ONLY PLAYER.

Then why did Kenny meet with Matsui and talk him up, then say we couldn't afford him? Why did it come out that the Sox went after Johnson but couldn't match the Yankees? I side with the other poster who said the Sox probably offered their midseason acquisition money to Damon. But even if that is true, it still shows how crappy their plan is because going after Damon last-minute shows they have no confidence in it, especially if they were offering emergency fallback money.

And BTW, Matsui can play LF probably about as well as Damon can. Neither belong out there and Damon in LF with Pierre in CF while Rios gets a day off is no freakin' picnic as it is. And then CQ lumbering around in RF. Yuck. Plus Kotsay is the backup 1B. Damon is realistically just about as versatile as Johnson or Matsui. They're all DHs who belong at DH, and the only reason we wanted Damon was because of his bat, not his so-called versatility. The speed factor is probably a major part of it too.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

KW playing chicken with Boras/Damon, it's very risky move. Might've just made the decision for Damn by pissing him off. He might not want to cower to KW's power play, and just say **** it, I'm going to D-town. I'd rather KW just tell them that 6 was the final offer, and keep it in house. He broke his own rule by not staying under the radar. Hopefully it works though.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
"ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears that Scott Boras wants two things from the Tigers. First, he's asking them to remove all deferred money from the one-year $7MM deal they have offered. Second, he wants the Tigers to add a second year (Twitter links)."

And now we see why KW was smart to pull his offer. Now the Tigers feel no pressure to meet these demands. When they say "No" Damon can either take their $7M offer or have Boras tell the Sox that if they put their $6M back on the table he'll sign immediately.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
And now we see why KW was smart to pull his offer. Now the Tigers feel no pressure to meet these demands. When they say "No" Damon can either take their $7M offer or have Boras tell the Sox that if they put their $6M back on the table he'll sign immediately.

This is probably the most effective bit of gamesmanship that KW could have pulled. It's really crafty.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
This is probably the most effective bit of gamesmanship that KW could have pulled. It's really crafty.

We should probably wait before we start patting KW on the back for his strategy. If Damon ends up signing a 1 year deal for 6 million with the Tigers because the Sox pulled out, then KW's move will have backfired.

I think what probably happened was the Sox made their best offer, Boras went to the Tigers and got an offer, called the Sox and tried to leverage it into a higher counter-offer.

Boom...

The Sox being sick of Boras' s*** said "Sorry, we don't play that way. goodbye."

Over.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
I think its pretty obvious that this is the direction the organization is heading

I think no one has any clue what the organization is planning on doing. Two weeks ago, we were sure they wouldn't be going after any other DHs after Thome wasn't brought back.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
We should probably wait before we start patting KW on the back for his strategy. If Damon ends up signing a 1 year deal for 6 million with the Tigers because the Sox pulled out, then KW's move will have backfired.

I can already hear the quote: "The Tigers just wanted me more and, ultimately, that desire just won me over."

Unless, as some of us do...you think Damon is a terrible fit for the Tigers.

I wonder if this is all about the deffered money still. He might get his 1 year 7 mil from detroit, but now he might have to settle for a large chunk of it differed simply becuase there is no other offer on the table. So be it now.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, i think it's KW forcing Boras' hand.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Damon wiill still be a White Sox if he is wiiling to play for the contract pulled. This is the agent runaround that worked for the Yankees with ARod who, coincientally shares the same agent as Damon.

I dunno man I doubt the sox want to add someone or negotiate stuff once spring training starts.

If Damon wants to play for the Sox at $6M he will. If he calls up Kenny and says he'll accept the deal KW won't tell him sorry no we already pulled it. If he takes Detroit's deal at $7M he would have taken theres anyways. This is all assuming these reported offers are correct. KW probably just got sick of Borass' antics said enough with it. If Damon really wants to play here and is willing to accept that offer he knows how to get a hold of KW.