Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
You really can't see this offense scoring 741 runs? I can. Not that I didn't want Damon, I really really did, but I don't think his absence puts us that far back. Certainly not worse than last year.

Chone has this lineup putting up 700 runs this year. I'm thinking we'll be better then that, but not my much. Bill James has our offense being exactly the same as last year (724 runs). Statistically we're not looking good. Not looking much better on paper either.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
Agreed. Pierre is a totally different player and he's better at what he does these days than Dye is.

To an earlier point, Pierre isn't replacing Dye, Quentin is.

So who is Pierre replacing in the lineup then...Quentin? How do you replace someone that's still in the lineup?

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
So who is Pierre replacing in the lineup then...Quentin? How do you replace someone that's still in the lineup?

The context was RF as a power-hitting position. Pierre is replacing Pods obviously.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)

Q replaces Dye, Pierre replaces Pods, Rios replaces poop, Jones/Kotsay replaces Thome, Teahan replaces Getz. Is it really that complicated?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 12:40 AM)
I really don't give a s*** Detroit got Damon. He's a downgrade from Grandy.

We don't need Damon.

We do need help, though, in our lineup.

I want McLouth in a trade.

McLouth would be great, but probably cost too much. I REALLY want KW to go get Gerardo Parra from AZ. Someone who probably won't cost very much considering most of the people on this site have probably never even heard of him.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 02:06 AM)
McLouth would be great, but probably cost too much. I REALLY want KW to go get Gerardo Parra from AZ. Someone who probably won't cost very much considering most of the people on this site have probably never even heard of him.

I've heard of him, and i like him. But the D-backs do too, and i don't see them giving him up.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 01:20 AM)
I've heard of him, and i like him. But the D-backs do too, and i don't see them giving him up.

It seems they have a crowed OF with Upton, Young, and Conor Jackson. It would be fantastic if Kenny could drop someone like Santliez, Ely, Phegley, or Shelby, or a collection of those for Parra.

I should just email this video to Kenny and his jaw will drop.....

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5738361

^^Simply the strongest throw I have ever seen in my life. The ball was literally RISING on the way to the catcher.....Insane.

And this one is not to shabby either....

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5301803

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
Someone who probably won't cost very much considering most of the people on this site have probably never even heard of him.

Other than prospect lovers like myself, or fans of the d-backs or perhaps baseball leagues, your probably right. I like Parra. He isn't what you call a "great" prospect, but he's solid. He's a very good defensive OF (especially in LF) with good contact and will improve discipline. He proved me wrong as I thought he was rushed from AA, but he hit pretty well with the D-Backs.

Plus... the guy has the same first name as myself (I believe there is only like 7 or 8 prospects with that great name), so that's enough reason for me to like him. :D

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
Other than prospect lovers like myself, or fans of the d-backs or perhaps baseball leagues, your probably right. I like Parra. He isn't what you call a "great" prospect, but he's solid. He's a very good defensive OF (especially in LF) with good contact and will improve discipline. He proved me wrong as I thought he was rushed from AA, but he hit pretty well with the D-Backs.

Plus... the guy has the same first name as myself (I believe there is only like 7 or 8 prospects with that great name), so that's enough reason for me to like him. :D

You mentioned all that and you forgot that fact that he has a heat-seeking missile attached to his arm? The first trade I am going to make in MLB 10 The Show is for Parra, I suggest Kenny do the same. lol :headbang

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
I haven't felt this bad about the team in 10+ yeras. I don't even know that it is rational. Maybe it's just because I feel like this is the Twins best team in awhile. I just don't have a good feeling.

Yeah, that's a bit of irrationality.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
So the Sox show some interest in two legitimate DH candidates, only to allow both to go to division rivals. When we finish 6 games out of first this season due mainly to being 11th in the AL in runs (or something close to that), I hope the front office brass understands why everybody is pissed.

You think Damon would've made up a 6-game deficit? And you think it was the Sox' fault he signed elsewhere? $8 million, dude. For one season. For Johnny Damon. I think 7.5 (with some deferred) is workable, but $8 mil all this year? I don't know about that.

He would've helped the lineup, but I think it's debatable just how much it would've helped them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
Sometimes the guy everyone likes is exactly what a team does not need.

Meaning that a team can have too many nice guys? Maybe...if they don't have enough talent. But that definitely doesn't make one individual (who is well-liked by his teammates) a bad clubhouse guy.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 05:29 AM)
You think Damon would've made up a 6-game deficit? And you think it was the Sox' fault he signed elsewhere? $8 million, dude. For one season. For Johnny Damon. I think 7.5 (with some deferred) is workable, but $8 mil all this year? I don't know about that.

He would've helped the lineup, but I think it's debatable just how much it would've helped them.

Hah, Ranger. That extra 6% is the real killer, eh? :)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
The difference is much bigger for this year when you compare the 8 million dollars in 2010 to the 4.5 million that they Sox would have paid this year.

I don't even think the Sox would have paid him that much this year. I think the total present day value was supposedly $4.5 million. The Tigers saved Boras yet again. Mr. Pizza Pizza can't be very popular with his fellow owners.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
I dont understand how people get down on Rios' '08. 47 doubles. 32 steals. I will take that gladly.

^^^

an OPS+ of 112 (along with 120 and 122 the two years before) plus premier defense in right field makes him one of the top 15 or so OFers in the league

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
I don't even think the Sox would have paid him that much this year. I think the total present day value was supposedly $4.5 million. The Tigers saved Boras yet again. Mr. Pizza Pizza can't be very popular with his fellow owners.

The last thing I read was $4.5 this year and $1.5 deferred. Who knows who accurate that even was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
The difference is much bigger for this year when you compare the 8 million dollars in 2010 to the 4.5 million that they Sox would have paid this year.

Ahh, I know what he was trying to say, I just like to give him hell once in a while...

I also find it a bit humorous that all the sudden we are considering deferred money in a 1 year contract to fit into some form of customary. It simply is not.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
It's not that I think we should drop 8M on Damon, I just get ill thinking of all the Kotsay ABs we're going to have to witness this year

If Andruw Jones is anywhere near healthy enough to play OF and hit near his 2007 season [which is what seems to have been the enticement made by Ozzie to Jones--get in shape and you'll be competing for full-time work]--it's not Kotsay who will be seeing those AB's. It'll likely be Pierre and Q who will be getting days at DH, with Jones seeing most of the AB's.

Though I'd rather see Kotsay at 1b when the Sox hit vs RHP, with Konerko sitting, with his ugly splits in recent years vs them.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 05:29 AM)

He would've helped the lineup, but I think it's debatable just how much it would've helped them

Having Johnny Damon at DH instead of the rotating pile of crap probably is worth 4 wins or so over a full season, which takes the club from being clearly behind Minnesota to almost even with them IMO. He'd have single handedly brought the Sox from having potential the worst offensive numbers in the AL from their DH spot to somewhere in the average range, and that's just such a huge difference. Johnny Damon himself realistically isn't a 4 win player, but the DH spot this team currently has is likely to be below replacement level. This situation can still be improved with a trade this spring, or even a trade at the deadline though. But to win the division with this DH situation for the full 6 months is going to be exceedingly difficult.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Having Johnny Damon at DH instead of the rotating pile of crap probably is worth 4 wins or so over a full season, which takes the club from being clearly behind Minnesota to almost even with them IMO.

I can buy the 4 wins part, but nobody knows how MIN is going to play this year. If MIN is a 92-win team, Damon himself isn't going to pull the Sox that close.

He'd have single handedly brought the Sox from having potential the worst offensive numbers in the AL from their DH spot to somewhere in the average range, and that's just such a huge difference.

This is hyperbole. Damon absolutely would've helped, but let's not kid ourselves about him being some sort of an offensive game-changer. Offensively, Damon is basically a late '90's Ray Durham with less speed. That's a really nice player to have on one's roster, but not the kind of guy who will change the offensive output from worst in the league to middle of the pack.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
I can buy the 4 wins part, but nobody knows how MIN is going to play this year. If MIN is a 92-win team, Damon himself isn't going to pull the Sox that close.

This is hyperbole. Damon absolutely would've helped, but let's not kid ourselves about him being some sort of an offensive game-changer. Offensively, Damon is basically a late '90's Ray Durham with less speed. That's a really nice player to have on one's roster, but not the kind of guy who will change the offensive output from worst in the league to middle of the pack.

I agree that the Sox are in trouble if Minnesota wins 92 games, even if they had signed Damon. I just don't think they'll win that many games. And I didn't mean Damon would pull the offense overall from worst in the league to middle of the pack, I just meant he'd pull the production from the DH spot itself from worst to average. Considering how important DH production is in the AL, that'd have been a big deal. I know he's not a game changer, but he is decent, which would have made a big improvement.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)

i'll repeat so that you can stop claiming that Damon's offensive input would be insignifcant.

Without Damon our average offense projections

HR’s : 170

Runs: 692

Without Kotsay and With Damon

Hr’s: 182

R’s: 754

Without Nix and with Damon

Hr’s: 177

R:: 744

That's a big step in the right direction.