Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
You can change attitude, you can't change talent. If Rios still has it, it's more than likely that he can bounce back in full stride.

All the projection systems have him as a 2 WAR player, I think he's capable of that.

Rios completely sucks, as you will learn - again. Worst move KW ever made...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
Rios completely sucks, as you will learn - again. Worst move KW ever made...

I'm interested in learning that, because all the research i've done says the opposite. We should probably learn from what happened with Swisher before we write someone off over one bad year.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
On the other side of that coin, though...he can now fly. Kind of like a kite. I think that gives him a distinct advantage defensively.

He and Gavin Floyd will be doing a Saturday morning children's show.

A live action remake of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Williams maintained that he is fine with the Ozzie Guillen plan of DH-by-committee, despite his actions dictating otherwise, and asked about the idea that former Sox World Series MVP Jermaine Dye was still sitting out on the free agent market, totally didn't close the door on it.

"I am shocked that Jermaine Dye is still out there,'' Williams said. "I thought about [bringing him back]. But our biggest need would be a left-handed bat, in my opinion. That doesn't fit or is consistent with what Ozzie wants to do. I did think about it, and Ozzie would be in a position where he would have to play him.''

Which is why if it doesn't work, I hope Ozzie is held the most accountable for this. Though I know this site is split in half with him and KW in that regard.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Which is why if it doesn't work, I hope Ozzie is held the most accountable for this. Though I know this site is split in half with him and KW in that regard.

I don't think there's any doubt that that's going to be the case.

Unfortunately, most people think it's not going to end well, and I'm one of those.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
I don't think there's any doubt that that's going to be the case.

Unfortunately, most people think it's not going to end well, and I'm one of those.

With the way that this team has under-achieved, it wouldn't surprise me if this were Ozzie's last year. I wouldn't bet on it, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

On the contrary, the GM is the one who builds a team. Ozzie wanting a different lineup should be a suggestion. I'm wary of the current plan of attack, but the bopper mentality hasn't exactly produced much more than an exciting first half of 2006, and a crapshoot playoff berth in 2008. Again, I'm an advocate of adding anyone who could hit the ball far, but if this is what the Sox stick with, and if it's Ozzie's doing, then I won't call for his head if it doesn't pan out.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
On the contrary, the GM is the one who builds a team. Ozzie wanting a different lineup should be a suggestion.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. One of two things could be going on...

(1) Kenny has spent so much on high-priced veterans over the past four years that either he's getting pressure from the Board to pull back or wants to pull back himself to keep from endangering his job. Ozzie's rotating DH is a convenient way to prevent extra spending.

(2) There has been a power struggle between Kenny and Ozzie in recent years (e.g., Anderson vs. Wise). This DH rotation is Kenny's way of giving Ozzie enough rope to hang himself with, and gives him another excuse to bring somebody else in next year.

2) There has been a power struggle between Kenny and Ozzie in recent years (e.g., Anderson vs. Wise). This DH rotation is Kenny's way of giving Ozzie enough rope to hang himself with, and gives him another excuse to bring somebody else in next year.

That's possible. I know if we get off to a gosh-awful start for some reason, there will be finger pointing and it'll likely be at Oz.

He's been here a long time and is right in front of the cameras every day. It's Oz's hide, not KW's, though Jerry probably would never agree to let Oz go no matter what happens. Remember, Jerry got the WS title thanks in large part to Oz, and owner's think differently than fans. I would suspect Oz has a lifetime contract as long as Jerry is in charge.