Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
Did anyone here honsestly think that KW would let an all star caliber player whose demands fell from 3 yrs 36 Mil to 1 year 5 mil go to the rival Tigers without trying to make a play here. He wouldnt be doing his job if he didnt try and get involved, not to mention the sox could actually use Damon. I really hope they can snatch him away from the tigers, it could mean the division for us.

Damon is not gonna win anybody this division. He will help, but that is way overstating his value.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Where did Detroit find this money?

I know they shed some salary from the Granderson deal, but I thought they did that because they needed to cut salary. I didn't expect them to spend $7 million/season (thats what im assuming) on a veteran like this.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Damon is not gonna win anybody this division. He will help, but that is way overstating his value.

I don't mind you expressing your opinion, but I'd appreciate it if you would stop representing it as fact.

Get off your high horse a bit, Sir.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
I know they shed some salary from the Granderson deal, but I thought they did that because they needed to cut salary. I didn't expect them to spend $7 million/season (thats what im assuming) on a veteran like this.

Plus, they're willing to overpay.

They're buying into Boras' game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
Maybe JR should too, considering our city's in much better financial shape than Detroit. Damon is well worth $7 million a year.

Yeah I think the rumor of their 2 year offer must be smaller annual salary than the 1 year offer. There is no way they shed all they payroll in Polanco, Granderson, and Jackson just so they can sign a 35 year old OF/DH for 2 years 14 mil. More likely they offer something like 1 year 4.5 mil or 2 Years 8 mil. The sox would be wise to offer like 1 year 5 mil and basically tell him that his power numbers would look awfully sexy next year playing at USCF vs. Comerica as he heads back into free agency.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Yeah I think the rumor of their 2 year offer must be smaller annual salary than the 1 year offer. There is no way they shed all they payroll in Polanco, Granderson, and Jackson just so they can sign a 35 year old OF/DH for 2 years 14 mil. More likely they offer something like 1 year 4.5 mil or 2 Years 8 mil. The sox would be wise to offer like 1 year 5 mil and basically tell him that his power numbers would look awfully sexy next year playing at USCF vs. Comerica as he heads back into free agency.

Heyman says "the Tigers' offer may actually be a bit north of $14 million over 2 years, but damon still may prefer 1 yr. chisox, braves also trying"

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
Heyman says "the Tigers' offer may actually be a bit north of $14 million over 2 years, but damon still may prefer 1 yr. chisox, braves also trying"

Hmm a player may actually take less money!?!? Will AJ be a bigger influence than we all thought? I still he'll take the money. .

I tell you what though.. . if he takes less money and less years to come here- i have a TON more respect for the guy.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Hmm a player may actually take less money!?!? Will AJ be a bigger influence than we all thought? I still he'll take the money. .

I tell you what though.. . if he takes less money and less years to come here- i have a TON more respect for the guy.

He wants less years, so that he can explore the market next year, that's the only thing that makes sense.

The best place for him to succeed is here in Chicago, we have the most hitter friendly park.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)

Well he would take less money if say their group believes that if they play for $5 mil this year and have a productive year, USCF is friendly for power, that entering free agency next year could net them a big pay day. It depends on how they gauge the competition on the market. If Damon plays for the sox and goes something like .290/20/80 and next year is a weak FA class then perhaps they can expect to receive something like a 2 year 18 Mil offer. So its not inconceivable that even given a 2 year offer from the tigers he chooses the sox. I would say its like 70/30 in favor of the tigers.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Just mentioned this on Sportscenter.

Pierre is the top AL Central Acquisition for Olney.

JD is one of the 3 biggest departures.

God Kenny, just sign Damon so Becks, TCQ, and Paulie can have an RBI feast.

word

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Just mentioned this on Sportscenter.

Pierre is the top AL Central Acquisition for Olney.

JD is one of the 3 biggest departures.

God Kenny, just sign Damon so Becks, TCQ, and Paulie can have an RBI feast.

Pierre, biggest acquisition? What is Olney smoking?