Sox un-retire #11

pmcochr

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chicago White Sox have un-retired uniform No. 11, the number worn by Hall of Fame shortstop Luis Aparicio, for the 2010 season, during which it will be worn by Omar Vizquel, the team’s newly acquired 11-time Gold Glove infielder. Vizquel, a native of Venezuela, will don the number as a tribute to Aparicio, who is the first and only Venezuelan to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

“If there is one player who I would like to see wear my uniform number with the White Sox, it is Omar Vizquel,” said Aparicio. “I have known Omar for a long time. Along with being an outstanding player, he is a good and decent man.”

“I feel privileged to have the opportunity to wear the same uniform number with the White Sox as the great Luis Aparicio,” said Vizquel. “It is a great honor for me.”

QUOTE (TheBigHurtShallRiseAgain @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
I just saw this on Twitter and was wondering what other people thought.

Southpaw:

WOW!This is HUGE! WhiteSox to Un-retire Luis Aparicio #.Omar Vizquel to wear #11 during '10 season w/ blessing & support from Aparicio

If Aparicio is OK then I have no problem with it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
What a great history lesson for Sox fans, and a selfless gesture by Lou. How many guys would let someone else take "their" number? Can anyone imagine Michael Jordan letting someone else wear #23?

Can't compare the two at all. Not even close.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
Calling it a sentence is pretty generous :P

HAHA

I guess if Luis doesn't care that his choice. Personally, I think its dumb to unretire a number for a guy who is only going to play one season and barely play at that.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Hopefully they don't mess this up, and still keep him and his number on the outfield wall.

They're not truly un-retiring his number, Aparicio's just giving Omar his blessing to wear his number as a tribute for a 1 season. Once Omar leaves at the end of the season the number will go right back to being untouchable, nothing in the ballpark will change, instead of Omar having a 17 on his back it'll be an 11. Given that it's a tribute from one Venezuelan to another and one hall of famer to another and it's being done with the blessing of Aparicio I don't see what the problem could be. Hell, 11 isn't even Omar's typical number, that'd be Ozzie's 13 so this is a 100% tribute to one of his heroes.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Since Aparicio gave his blessing I guess its not really un-retired. Its like BJ Armstrong wearing Bob Love's #10 after it was retired

But BJ was wearing #10 at the time it was retired, and when he had his second tour of duty with the Bulls, he wore 11. I think it makes no sense to retire numbers if you are willing to unretire them for 43 year old back ups, especially guys who have never worn that number before. I understand Vizquel is a HOFer himself, but that makes no difference IMO. It may be one thing if Vizquel wore 11 as a tribute to Aparicio his entire career, or at least SOME of it, but he was a Concepcion guy and the only reason he isn't 13 is Ozzie won't give it to him. What's next? Ramon Castro gets some pointers from Carlton Fisk and wants to wear 72 with Pudge's blessing?

The best players in the game today, the finest human beings, the greatest humanitarians, could ask Bud Selig if they could "un-retire" 42 for a season, to pay tribute to Jackie Robinson. The answer would be no. A retired number is a retired number. The only person who should wear 11 in a White Sox uniform is Luis Aparicio.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Unless this was Louie's idea from the start, I think it sucks big time. If OV initiated it, it's even worse. Total lack of respect.

It was Vizquel's idea, from the espn.com story when he signed:

One thing that will likely change is his number. Familiar No. 13 belongs to Guillen.

"That's going to be a hard thing. I don't think Ozzie is going to give up his number," Vizquel said.

He said he might ask countryman Luis Aparicio if can wear his retired No. 11 as a tribute. Or maybe the No. 17 that was worn by another Venezuelan shortstop who played for the White Sox, Chico Carrasquel.

Guillen said nothing has been decided but he would be reluctant to part with his number, one he wore for so many years with the White Sox.

He suggested that Vizquel try No. 23 -- just one digit removed -- because it's such a big number in Chicago, the one most notably worn by Michael Jordan.