Sox un-retire #11

pmcochr

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
He said he might ask countryman Luis Aparicio if can wear his retired No. 11 as a tribute. Or maybe the No. 17 that was worn by another Venezuelan shortstop who played for the White Sox, Chico Carrasquel.

Ha, if he had suited up as #17 and said it was a tribute to a past Sox player I'd have been scratching my head wondering where the mad love for Carlos May was coming from.

:D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
But BJ was wearing #10 at the time it was retired, and when he had his second tour of duty with the Bulls, he wore 11. I think it makes no sense to retire numbers if you are willing to unretire them for 43 year old back ups, especially guys who have never worn that number before. I understand Vizquel is a HOFer himself, but that makes no difference IMO. It may be one thing if Vizquel wore 11 as a tribute to Aparicio his entire career, or at least SOME of it, but he was a Concepcion guy and the only reason he isn't 13 is Ozzie won't give it to him. What's next? Ramon Castro gets some pointers from Carlton Fisk and wants to wear 72 with Pudge's blessing?

The best players in the game today, the finest human beings, the greatest humanitarians, could ask Bud Selig if they could "un-retire" 42 for a season, to pay tribute to Jackie Robinson. The answer would be no. A retired number is a retired number. The only person who should wear 11 in a White Sox uniform is Luis Aparicio.

I'm gonna agree with you DA. I think retired numbers stay like that forever (2 Exceptions can be made: The player them self returns (Harold) or someone's son coming to the big league squad (Like they were gonna do with Patrick Ewing Jr.))

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
It was Vizquel's idea, from the espn.com story when he signed:

One thing that will likely change is his number. Familiar No. 13 belongs to Guillen.

"That's going to be a hard thing. I don't think Ozzie is going to give up his number," Vizquel said.

He said he might ask countryman Luis Aparicio if can wear his retired No. 11 as a tribute. Or maybe the No. 17 that was worn by another Venezuelan shortstop who played for the White Sox, Chico Carrasquel.

Guillen said nothing has been decided but he would be reluctant to part with his number, one he wore for so many years with the White Sox.

He suggested that Vizquel try No. 23 -- just one digit removed -- because it's such a big number in Chicago, the one most notably worn by Michael Jordan.

He already had Chico's number, did he seriously need to go and ask for 11.

I really like Omar, but I don't like this.

I'm amazed this actually bothers people. It's so trivial, I'm surprised this is even the slightest of issues. Omar Vizquel is a future HoF'er who happens to be of Venezuelan descent just like Aparacio. If Luis doesn't care and I dont get how anyone can have a problem. It's a sign of respect. Not sure how some of you feel it's the opposite.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
I'm curious as to why that is for you. How does it devalue what Aparicio contributed to the team? To the game. It's a number, isn't it?

Because to the casual observer who doesnt know thats its a representation of the actual Jersey Luis would have worn, It'll look like I'm a big Vizquel fan, and that makes me angry.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
Because to the casual observer who doesnt know thats its a representation of the actual Jersey Luis would have worn, It'll look like I'm a big Vizquel fan, and that makes me angry.

Why do you care to impress a casual fan who you probably wouldn't have talked to anyway?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
Why do you care to impress a casual fan who you probably wouldn't have talked to anyway?

Not trying to impress anyone, just feel like the Aparicio love i wanted to show may be dimmed a little bit.

This is what I'll be sporting BTW

http://jerseychannelone.com/jersey/mlb-chi...tml?language=en

Edited by RockRaines

This is one of those headline grabbing stories that seems like a big deal until you see that Aparicio himself was personally asked by Vizquel and that he endorsed it warmly. That is the only person who's view matters in this and I fully support Aparicio's decision. The fact that Vizquel asked him first and that it is meant to honor the #11, makes me fully endorse it even more.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Not trying to impress anyone, just feel like the Aparicio love i wanted to show may be dimmed a little bit.

Sweet looking jersey and I like the Cooperstown 1959 patch on it as well.

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
This is one of those headline grabbing stories that seems like a big deal until you see that Aparicio himself was personally asked by Vizquel and that he endorsed it warmly. That is the only person who's view matters in this and I fully support Aparicio's decision. The fact that Vizquel asked him first and that it is meant to honor the #11, makes me fully endorse it even more.

I know in the end its probably no big deal. I just think a retired number is a retired number, and the ultimate respect anyone could show Aparicio was to keep it retired, not "I've been honoring Dave Concepcion for over 20 years, but his number is not available. I know yours technically isn't either, but do you mind if I wear it?"

Maybe Aparicio endorses it wholeheartedly, maybe he doesn't. He really wasn't in a postion to say anything but what he said without catching grief. He shouldn't be put in that situation. If there are exceptions to be made, don't retire any numbers, just honor the names.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)

I can't wait to see a guy sporting that jersey so I can ask him why he has a throwback jersey with Vizquel's number on it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
The best players in the game today, the finest human beings, the greatest humanitarians, could ask Bud Selig if they could "un-retire" 42 for a season, to pay tribute to Jackie Robinson. The answer would be no. A retired number is a retired number. The only person who should wear 11 in a White Sox uniform is Luis Aparicio.

Do you mean like dozens of players wearing his number?

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=sea

For the first time since Major League Baseball began honoring the legacy of Jackie Robinson, who broke baseball's color barrier on April 15, 1947, every MLB player on Wednesday night did what Griffey did on April 15, 1997 -- wore No. 42.

I was against this until I read previous threads that said Omar's number was 13 and Oz had it.

This is indeed simply a tribute. Nice.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
Do you mean like dozens of players wearing his number?

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=sea

Its a little different. How come no one takes it out of the mothballs for a full season as a "tribute"? Unretire all the numbers, then every player who ever had a number retired can have someone wear "his" number as a tribute. It will be great, after all, its apparently more of an honor to have someone wear your number instead of having it in mothballs.

My point is its silly to retire numbers if you are going to unretire them. Does anyone really think a back-up 43 year old infielder is really going to raise the awareness of Luis Aparicio a guy who, its getting at least close to the point that the majority of people in the USCF stands never saw play in a White Sox uniform? Even if it does, will it be long lasting and will JimH's buddies in their board shorts and hats on backwards even care?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Its a little different. How come no one takes it out of the mothballs for a full season as a "tribute"? Unretire all the numbers, then every player who ever had a number retired can have someone wear "his" number as a tribute. It will be great.

My point is its silly to retire numbers if you are going to unretire them. Does anyone really think a back-up 43 year old infielder is really going to raise the awareness of Luis Aparicio a guy who, its getting at least close to the point that the majority of people in the USCF stands never saw play in a White Sox uniform? Even if it does, will it be long lasting and will JimH's buddies in their board shorts and hats on backwards even care?

If you really believe your line of thinking, you probably should find a new user name then.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
If you really believe your line of thinking, you probably should find a new user name then.

?

As far as I know Dick Allen has nothing retired. I really don't use it as a "tribute" he's just the player I have always thought of first since I was a little kid when it comes to the White Sox. But if it wasn't available I wouldn't have tried to track Dick down to see if it would be OK I can pay him a tribute to use it.

If Vizquel is so attached to Aparicio, how come he didn't "honor" him before, and how come he only decided to "honor" him, when another number wasn't available?

Its a number, its silly to argue this, but I think the White Sox should have told him that 11 wasn't available either, no matter what Aparicio says.

Again, if it is a bigger honor to have someone wear your number than to have it retired , teams are doing their greatest stars a disservice taking the numbers out of circulation. The Yankees should have let David Wells wear 3. It was a tribute. He even tried to train like him.

Why do they retire numbers in the first place?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
Its a little different. How come no one takes it out of the mothballs for a full season as a "tribute"? Unretire all the numbers, then every player who ever had a number retired can have someone wear "his" number as a tribute. It will be great, after all, its apparently more of an honor to have someone wear your number instead of having it in mothballs.

Damned kids these days, I swear...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 01:19 AM)
I know in the end its probably no big deal. I just think a retired number is a retired number, and the ultimate respect anyone could show Aparicio was to keep it retired, not "I've been honoring Dave Concepcion for over 20 years, but his number is not available. I know yours technically isn't either, but do you mind if I wear it?"

Maybe Aparicio endorses it wholeheartedly, maybe he doesn't. He really wasn't in a postion to say anything but what he said without catching grief. He shouldn't be put in that situation. If there are exceptions to be made, don't retire any numbers, just honor the names.

Exactly.