Morally ambiguous characters

Soxy

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
By sleeping with Peter Campbell?

He wasn't married at the time. She was influenced by her new environment. Plus, their relationship is based on the fact that Peggy is not as complicated and high maintenance as Trudy.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
That's some morally ambiguous s*** if you ask me.

I'm not saying it was right, but that's a far stretch to get to morally ambiguous as a whole. "Mad Men" overall is dark and lacking moral characters. Everybody on the show is flawed in some way.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
To me its Cooper, but I've only seen Season 1.

In my opinion, to define someone as morally ambiguous there has to be a consistent pattern of behavior. Vic Mackey from "The Shield" was that way for 7 seasons. Peggy Olson from "Mad Men" is just human and makes mistakes. Bert Cooper is just an old business man who likes to pull the strings.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Howard Roark

Oh man! I do not have the balls to make a bunch of 18 year olds read Ayn Rand! I think there would be mutiny!

Thank you all for your suggestions--and please keep them coming. Throughout the latter 2/3 of the semester we'll be reading and watching stuff to discuss what makes a monster, what can redeem a monster. So, we're going to be doing lots of critical thinking and playing devil's advocate. The final (class) project will to put a "monster" on trial and have a little mock trial.