Morally ambiguous characters

Soxy

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man! I do not have the balls to make a bunch of 18 year olds read Ayn Rand! I think there would be mutiny!

Thank you all for your suggestions--and please keep them coming. Throughout the latter 2/3 of the semester we'll be reading and watching stuff to discuss what makes a monster, what can redeem a monster. So, we're going to be doing lots of critical thinking and playing devil's advocate. The final (class) project will to put a "monster" on trial and have a little mock trial.

The Fountainhead is so much better than Atlas Shrugged though. Besides, I hear a lot of senior HS english classes have it in the curriculum (mine didn't).

Roark's a pretty likable guy unlike Dagny Taggart or Hank Rearden, I think it'd be a fun exercise.

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 06:37 PM)
Humphrey Bogart's character in Casablanca.

Robert Downey Jr.'s character in Iron Man.

Matt Damon as Jason Bourne... real nice guy... wants to stop killing people... seriously... but 'they' won't let him dammit.

I'd say no to Bogart as Rick in Casablanca. I think it was always made clear that he fought the good fight both in his earlier life and also later as the proprietor of the Cafe. He worked hard to convey the image of a tough and morally ambiguous person (ostensibly to never be hurt in love again), but his kindness to the random Bulgarian couple attempting to flee to freedom, his willingness to aid Victor Laszlo at the expense of his own happiness. etc., puts him firmly on the side of the Good Guys.

Claude Rain's Captain Renault said it best: “As I suspected. . . you're a rank sentimentalist.”

As an aside, I continue to rank Casablanca amog the top five American films ever made.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)
The Fountainhead is so much better than Atlas Shrugged though. Besides, I hear a lot of senior HS english classes have it in the curriculum (mine didn't).

Roark's a pretty likable guy unlike Dagny Taggart or Hank Rearden, I think it'd be a fun exercise.

But you have to read all her stupid bulls*** about architecture which comes across as retarded also the sex scenes.

Meursault from The Stranger. i don't even know what my argument would be.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
But you have to read all her stupid bulls*** about architecture which comes across as retarded also the sex scenes.

Meursault from The Stranger. i don't even know what my argument would be.

Your argument would be: "I read Camus. look at my Large Brain! Wanna have sex with me?"

Or maybe that's my argument.

:unsure:

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 02:12 AM)
Ooh, that's a very good one. I was going to say Tony Soprano or Dexter Morgan, but both have been added already.

Are Dexters morals really ambiguous though? He has a code that he describes in detail.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
Are Dexters morals really ambiguous though? He has a code that he describes in detail.

The same argument could be made for several of the above, basically all of the archetypal vigilantes. But the ability to rationalize away moral dilemmas to your own satisfaction doesn't mean the rationale carries weight with society at large. The hallmark of these characters as sociopaths is going to be the personal moral relativism that allows them to behave the way they do.