How well do you remember the 2005 roster

Jimbo's Drinker

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (everafan @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 05:50 PM)
Carlos Lee was traded to the Brewers for Podsednik and Vizcaino. Or have I completely lost my mind?

Yup.

That was a deal that would be hated if it were done right now. Lee made a lot of money, but what we got in return was pretty bad at that time.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
Yup.

That was a deal that would be hated if it were done right now. Lee made a lot of money, but what we got in return was pretty bad at that time.

The actual value for Lee was terrible and people here will tell you exactly that, and said exactly that at the time. The caveat was always what the money would be spent on, because it freed up about $8 million. It was spent well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
The actual value for Lee was terrible and people here will tell you exactly that, and said exactly that at the time. The caveat was always what the money would be spent on, because it freed up about $8 million. It was spent well.

Which still irks me a bit when people call it such a great trade, I understand the cutting costs was a big reason for the trade but Carlos Lee was a good player if KW wanted he could of got more value for him. In the end the Whitesox won the World Series so I guess no reason to make a fuss about it though.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
21/25....pathetic.. I spent like a whole minute pissed off because I couldn't remember the name of our legendary backup catcher.

I had the same problem. And I kept saying (out loud) "come on! that short guy! you know, the one that had the walkoff single against the angels in the regular season!!!!" but my computer didn't listen.

I also couldn't remember the widginator, the vizzer or damaso marte for the life of me. i feel like a fraud. i did (and always will) remember geoff blum, though. that was epic beyond belief.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)
Which still irks me a bit when people call it such a great trade, I understand the cutting costs was a big reason for the trade but Carlos Lee was a good player if KW wanted he could of got more value for him. In the end the Whitesox won the World Series so I guess no reason to make a fuss about it though.

I agree. I think had he tried, he could have gotten more value out of the Brewers, but that would have involved playing the waiting game, and he didn't want to have to wait and didn't beat around the bush. He got an offer that got him everything he needed and jumped on it.

I also think when people look at the roster and mention how untalented it was, they are looking mainly at the offense. That rotation was stacked and it was the best defensive team of the decade (and probably quite a few more years beyond then). The bullpen had talent, but Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson came out of nowhere to have great years. At the same time, Marte had been a solid reliever for 3 years, Vizcaino was coming off of a solid season, and Takatsu was absolutely filthy the previous season; Marte was pretty terrible all around (3.77 ERA but with a 1.72 WHIP), Vizcaino was relegated to what seemed like mainly mopup duties after his blowup in April, and Takatsu bombed.

It was the worst offense of any World Series winning team in the 00's though.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)

I agree. I think had he tried, he could have gotten more value out of the Brewers, but that would have involved playing the waiting game, and he didn't want to have to wait and didn't beat around the bush. He got an offer that got him everything he needed and jumped on it.

I also think when people look at the roster and mention how untalented it was, they are looking mainly at the offense. That rotation was very talented and the Sox finally had a 5th starter and it was the best defensive team of the decade (and probably quite a few more years beyond then). The bullpen had talent, but Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson came out of nowhere to have great years. At the same time, Marte had been a solid reliever for 3 years, Vizcaino was coming off of a solid season, and Takatsu was absolutely filthy the previous season; Marte was pretty terrible all around (3.77 ERA but with a 1.72 WHIP), Vizcaino was relegated to what seemed like mainly mopup duties after his blowup in April, and Takatsu bombed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)

I also think when people look at the roster and mention how untalented it was, they are looking mainly at the offense. That rotation was stacked and it was the best defensive team of the decade (and probably quite a few more years beyond then). The bullpen had talent, but Politte, Cotts, and Hermanson came out of nowhere to have great years. At the same time, Marte had been a solid reliever for 3 years, Vizcaino was coming off of a solid season, and Takatsu was absolutely filthy the previous season; Marte was pretty terrible all around (3.77 ERA but with a 1.72 WHIP), Vizcaino was relegated to what seemed like mainly mopup duties after his blowup in April, and Takatsu bombed.

That 05 team is something that we can hope for in this year's team. I just looked up Carl Everett's OPS that year - it was around .750, horrible for a DH. Just goes to show that you can win with some timely hitting and luck, which that team did and had a lot of. Only two regulars on that team had an OPS over .800 - Dye and Konerko, who posted .850 and .910 respectively. Quentin can be the guy who puts up the .910 and Konerko is still capable of putting up an .850. Beckham can easily out produce Iguchi's .780 from that season at 2B. Teahen can outproduce Crede's .750 or at least meet it (not the defense though, unfortunately). If you compare that team's offense with this team's, you can quite possibly say that this team could do better.

If our rotation holds up and we get a couple of career years out of Pena/Linebrink/Putz, this team can go somewhere, even with a mediocre offense.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 12:04 AM)
That 05 team is something that we can hope for in this year's team. I just looked up Carl Everett's OPS that year - it was around .750, horrible for a DH. Just goes to show that you can win with some timely hitting and luck, which that team did and had a lot of. Only two regulars on that team had an OPS over .800 - Dye and Konerko, who posted .850 and .910 respectively. Quentin can be the guy who puts up the .910 and Konerko is still capable of putting up an .850. Beckham can easily out produce Iguchi's .780 from that season at 2B. Teahen can outproduce Crede's .750 or at least meet it (not the defense though, unfortunately). If you compare that team's offense with this team's, you can quite possibly say that this team could do better.

If our rotation holds up and we get a couple of career years out of Pena/Linebrink/Putz, this team can go somewhere, even with a mediocre offense.

The one key to that 2005 offense that I think gets overlooked is that no one on the offense had an OPS/OPS+ of less than .700/85. It wasn't a good offense, but every player was atleast decent and it was generally consistent. The 2006 offense had 3 players with 400+ plate appearances put up OPS's below .700 and OPS+'s of 75 or below. That leads to an explosive offense but one that will struggle. 2007 was obviously a disaster - Uribe had 563 PAs with a 74 OPS+, Podsednik 235 73, Owens 389 67, Erstad 345 68, Richar 206 78, Cintron 196 57, Crede 178 49, Andy f***ing Gonzalez 215 39, Toby Hall 120 21. The Sox got 2447 plate appearances out of players with OPS+'s below 80, and, if you add up Cintron, Crede, Gonzalez, and Hall and accumulate it into a full season, it equates to a player with a 43 OPS+ in 709 plate appearances.

The 2008 Sox had a pretty well balanced lineup though too - only Uribe was below 80 and he played pretty well after taking over at 3B, and it was relatively deep as well with 12 players getting atleast 143 plate appearances and putting up better than .700/80.

There's hope for this year's team. I'm not excited about the rotating DH, but there doesn't appear to be a wide, gaping hole in the lineup. Either that or I'm just bored.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 02:00 AM)
There's hope for this year's team. I'm not excited about the rotating DH, but there doesn't appear to be a wide, gaping hole in the lineup. Either that or I'm just bored.

My worry is that there's 4-5 different guys who could possibly turn into wide, gaping holes just by being slightly worse than last year, or even the same as last year. The DH spot, Quentin, Rios, Teahen, April/May version of Ramirez.