Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vancouver's Asians feel neglected by Olympic hosts

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — The Olympic opening ceremony celebrated Canada's aboriginals and French speakers, but gave little hint of Vancouver's huge, dynamic Asian population. Dismayed civic leaders are pleading for a different story at the closing show.

"It was a slap in the face," Indo-Canadian activist Sukhi Sandhu said Thursday, referring to the opening show's cultural segment. "You'd expect in an event of this magnitude, diversity would be entrenched in every aspect."

Sandhu and his allies have called on the Vancouver Organizing Committee to ensure that the closing ceremony convey more of the character of greater Vancouver, where Chinese and South Asians comprise 30 percent of the area's 2 million people.

"Usually in any Olympic Games, the host city will use the opening ceremony to show the world what that city is all about," said Peter Kwok, a civic leader in the Chinese community. "They did a good job telling the early history of Canada — then they forgot about today's Canada, which is multicultural."

VANOC's CEO, John Furlong, addressed the complaints this week, saying it was a "complex challenge" to portray Canada's ethnic mosaic. He indicated it was too late to modify the closing ceremony, but suggested that by the end of the show there would be no doubt "who we are and who is here."

Indira Prahst, a sociology instructor at Langara College who serves on Vancouver's multicultural advisory committee, suggested the damage already was irreparable.

"In my opinion, it's too late," said Prahst, of mixed German and Indo-Canadian background. "We should have had a chapter on immigrants in the opening ceremony. ... When we have a stage to showcase our multicultural society to the world, why are we invisible?"

The government-subsidized Canadian Broadcasting Corp. carried a report about the controversy on its Web site Thursday, and it generated hundreds of comments — many from Canadians living outside British Columbia who characterized the Vancouver ethnic leaders as whiners.

(more at the link)

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
so the game's on msnbc tonight and i don't get msnbc HD (if there is such a thing).....LAAAAAAAAME

Yeah, it's weak. I got a mailer from Comcast saying I'd have that, along with CNBC HD in mid-March (with other channels of course).

Unfortunately, I'll only ever use those two s***ty channels every two year, dammit.

I'll have to hit a bar for the game tonight, I'm an HD snob.

Bode Miller!!!

Totally forgot I put $20 on Miller to win gold in the Super-combined since it was delayed almost a week. He was +525

Feb 16 11:33am Olympics - Winner 20.00 to win 105.00 105.00

1. Olympics - 2010 Winter Olympic Games

Alpine Skiing - Men

Odds to win the Gold Medal in the Mens Combined

Bode Miller (+525) [winner]

Return

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Yeah, it's weak. I got a mailer from Comcast saying I'd have that, along with CNBC HD in mid-March (with other channels of course).

Unfortunately, I'll only ever use those two s***ty channels every two year, dammit.

I'll have to hit a bar for the game tonight, I'm an HD snob.

good luck finding a bar that has a bartender smart enough to figure out its not on NBC before the 2nd period starts.

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
so the game's on msnbc tonight and i don't get msnbc HD (if there is such a thing).....LAAAAAAAAME

msnbcHB on U-verse is 1215, oh you don't get that?

Oh wait, I don't get MLB Network.

Why is this game not on regular NBC?