Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Miller is a god. Also, unless I screwed up, it looks like Russia is locked into the 3 seed. So we will almost certainly see Russia play Canada. Just in the quarterfinals not the gold medal game like everyone was predicting. The result tonight of the Finland/Sweden game is huge for the US btw. If Sweden wins or the game goes to OT then the US is the #1 seed and will avoid Russia, Canada and either Finland or Sweden until the Gold Medal game if they make it that far. They would get what should be an easy game in the quarterfinals against Switzerland or Belarus and then would play either Sweden/Finland or the Czech Republic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
Yeah we're definitely rooting for Sweden tonight... It's going to be a late one.

Actually I may have screwed up my previous post. It looks like if Sweden beats Finland in OT then Russia will actually be the 4th seed as Sweden would have more points than Russia and Finland would have a better goal differential. So lets just hope Sweden wins in regulation.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 09:14 PM)
Actually I may have screwed up my previous post. It looks like if Sweden beats Finland in OT then Russia will actually be the 4th seed as Sweden would have more points than Russia and Finland would have a better goal differential. So lets just hope Sweden wins in regulation.

Unless I misunderstood this, Russia is locked into a top 3 seed for winning their group.

The following criteria will be used in the order presented to determine this ranking following completion of the preliminary round (1D - 12D):

1. Higher position in the group*

2. Higher number of points

3. Better goal difference

4. Higher number of goals scored for

5. Better 2009 IIHF World Ranking

The asterisk for position in group is for the tiebreakers within that.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
Unless I misunderstood this, Russia is locked into a top 3 seed for winning their group.

The asterisk for position in group is for the tiebreakers within that.

You are right. Russia is locked into the 3 spot so the US wants either a Sweden win with less than a 5 goal differential, or the game to go into OT to get the #1 seed.