Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
I wonder if Luongo is going to get the nod now. Canadian fans don't take well to losing.

I'd be shocked if it's not Luongo the rest of the way. Brodeur was struggling recently headed into these Olympics, and they don't have time to wait for him to get his crap together, especially since his backup is probably the best goalie in the wordl right now and double especially since it's lose and you're out now.

As for tonight, not bad for a prelim game huh? I've seen a lot of hockey in my life, and tonights game is certainly top 3 among the games I've ever seen. We beat them at their sport in their house in a thriller, absolutely outstanding.

Having the #1 seed is such a huge advantage, 4 of the top 6 teams other than the U.S. are on the other side of the bracket, and the two on the U.S. side, while good, are beatable in the Czech Republic and Finland (and the U.S. will only have to beat one of them in the semifinals to play for the gold medal.) Hopefully they don't come out flat in the quarters.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
I still dont know how he got the shot off. I need to see a slower replay.

It was probably the best empty netter I've ever seen, he really didn't even have the puck. He basically not only made a great defensive poke check, but also put it directly into the net. Outstanding.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 01:33 AM)
I'd be shocked if it's not Luongo the rest of the way. Brodeur was struggling recently headed into these Olympics, and they don't have time to wait for him to get his crap together, especially since his backup is probably the best goalie in the wordl right now and double especially since it's lose and you're out now.

The best goalie in the world right now was in net for the USA. :headbang

Even looking at their numbers this year, it isn't even close.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
The best goalie in the world right now was in net for the USA. :headbang

Even looking at their numbers this year, it isn't even close.

Luongo is still a better goalie IMO, but Miller has probably been the best goalie in the league this year (either he or Vokoun, Nabokov not too far behind) and he's clearly a red hot goalie. In a setup like this, I'd probably rather have Miller right now. Especially since Luongo doesn't have the best big game reputation. I think they'll need him to shed that reputation though, because I'd be shocked if Brodeur keeps the #1 spot after his performance tonight. He was AWFUL.

What an incredible game. I have no idea how we won it, as it felt like we were shorthanded for the last 10 minutes of that game as Canada just put it on us. Ryan Miller was just incredible. The scary thing is, if Canada plays like that for 60 minutes, instead of 10, I don't know if we can beat them again.

What an awesome game. Canada controlled the puck & shots but the USA hung in there, took advantage of their opportunities, avoided big mistakes, and of course, had Ryan Miller between the pipes. Some of the media reaction comparing this to the Miracle on Ice is pretty ridiculous IMO. Yeah this was an upset, but it was still a non-elimination game featuring all NHL players. This was nowhere near the level of that victory.

With the way Jonas Hiller played vs. Canada, I'd like to see Belarus spring the upset on the Swiss, just to make that game much easier.

That Canada/Russia quarterfinal should be just an incredible hockey game. Sucks that is the late game Wednesday night, not gonna be easy to stay up for an 11 PM CST start.

This thread needs more curling talk. The US is actually playing pretty well right now against Canada, tied 1-1 in the third end. Canada has been playing pretty poorly since they've already clinched the top spot, but the US has been making some nice shots for a change.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
This thread needs more curling talk. The US is actually playing pretty well right now against Canada, tied 1-1 in the third end. Canada has been playing pretty poorly since they've already clinched the top spot, but the US has been making some nice shots for a change.

If John Shuster wasn't such a suckfest, there would be more to talk about, but he blew any chance they had for a medal. It was good to see the kid nail the winner vs. Sweden on Saturday. As for the women's curling, I think the Danish team has been the easiest on the eyes so far.

Oh, and big props to our guy Eddie Olczyk for the quote of the Games last night. "This game has been tremendously tremendous!" :lolhitting

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
If John Shuster wasn't such a suckfest, there would be more to talk about, but he blew any chance they had for a medal. It was good to see the kid nail the winner vs. Sweden on Saturday. As for the women's curling, I think the Danish team has been the easiest on the eyes so far.

Oh, and big props to our guy Eddie Olczyk for the quote of the Games last night. "This game has been tremendously tremendous!" :lolhitting

Definitely would have to agree with you on that one.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)

Good thing teams other than the US play curling, then :P

Canada just killed off the Americans, 7-2. They scored 2 in the 9th end, despite the fact that the US had the hammer. Hilarious.

Edited by Felix

This wasn't Miracle on Ice 2. It also wasn't one of the best hockey games ever played (though it had some of the best talent ever). Some of the stuff I've seen and heard is way over the top.

It's also not THAT big of an upset. It helped a ton because we get a bye and a 1 seed. But if we don't go on to medal, it means relatively nothing. Especially if Canada ends up winning it or medaling. It's all about what lies ahead now. Maybe this is the game that gives them the confidence to win the whole thing. We'll see how it shakes out.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
This wasn't Miracle on Ice 2. It also wasn't one of the best hockey games ever played (though it had some of the best talent ever). Some of the stuff I've seen and heard is way over the top.

It's also not THAT big of an upset. It helped a ton because we get a bye and a 1 seed. But if we don't go on to medal, it means relatively nothing. Especially if Canada ends up winning it or medaling. It's all about what lies ahead now. Maybe this is the game that gives them the confidence to win the whole thing. We'll see how it shakes out.

What a downer

It's nice to see someone thinking and not just reacting.

Couldn't agree more. No matter what happened, if both teams meet again Canaada will be favored, as they should be.