Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
So basically you aren't allowed to be a fan of anything non US if you are an american? Got it.

Find me a Canadian rooting for the US.... and I said in that post that you can be a fan of other teams just not against your own country. You are effectively rooting against yourself.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill also just throw out there that im not rooting for Canada just because the USA "doesn't care" or "Its Canadas thing" but because I have always been a fan of team Canada hockey as most of my favorite NHL players were on the teams and ive always followed it..

You don't need to make it out like im bashing team USA or something..

Edited by T R U

So everyone slobbered over Canada all tournament, but I don't think you can make an argument that Canada was actually better throughout this tournament. They were pathetic in the group play, and no better than the US in the knockout phase. Regardless, the format is screwed up when the team with the best record throughout the tournament has to settle for silver and a team that couldn't beat Switzerland in regulation gets gold.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
I'm sure there are Canadian versions of TRU rooting for the USA.

I don't know of any. There are some people of European descent that cheer for their home countries like Russians and Slovakians though.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
So everyone slobbered over Canada all tournament, but I don't think you can make an argument that Canada was actually better throughout this tournament. They were pathetic in the group play, and no better than the US in the knockout phase. Regardless, the format is screwed up when the team with the best record throughout the tournament has to settle for silver and a team that couldn't beat Switzerland in regulation gets gold.

No different than regular season NFL into the playoffs or the NCAA basketball tournament. Regular season/ "group play" sets your seeding and it's single-elimination from there.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)

I don't follow hockey at all. I watched both USA/Canada games and those are the only two I've watched in the past few years. Canada beat us in our 4th sport at best when Hockey is their 1st sport. Would've been awesome to win gold though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
No different than regular season NFL into the playoffs or the NCAA basketball tournament. Regular season/ "group play" sets your seeding and it's single-elimination from there.

Right, but those leagues mentioned actually eliminate teams after the season. Everyone made the knockout phase and the bye turned out to be overrated so group play is almost entirely worthless.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Right, but those leagues mentioned actually eliminate teams after the season. Everyone made the knockout phase and the bye turned out to be overrated so group play is almost entirely worthless.

Except for it gives you a chance to get you comfortable with your team. These guys just came together recently. They need a feeling out period. Canada wouldn't win without Luongo back there and they needed the group stage to figure that out. Whos to say that Canada wouldn't have won the first game between the two teams if they had their best goaltender in.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
Except for it gives you a chance to get you comfortable with your team. These guys just came together recently. They need a feeling out period. Canada wouldn't win without Luongo back there and they needed the group stage to figure that out. Whos to say that Canada wouldn't have won the first game between the two teams if they had their best goaltender in.

That's a fair point, but Luongo actually didn't play well in the final. It would be nice to see a summit series type thing with rotating home ice in the offseason. There would be enough interest in this country for once.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
I really don't like the 4 on 4 overtime or a shootout for a gold medal game btw. I understand they basically have to or the NHL players wouldn't be allowed to play but it doesn't seem right that a game like that would end without the teams playing 5 on 5.

I'm the opposite. I'm not really a hockey fan, but I really like when it's 4on4. I think they should play that way for the whole game.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
I'm the opposite. I'm not really a hockey fan, but I really like when it's 4on4. I think they should play that way for the whole game.

A non hockey fan would say that.

If 4on4 hockey isnt good enough for the NHL playoffs then it shouldnt be good enough for the Olympics.

Dear Canada,

Congratulations on barely winning gold in your national pastime to a country where hockey isn't even the third most watched sport, I honestly don't know what I'm more ticked about, the fact that Kane and Ryan Miller are leaving with only silver, or the fact that Sidney Crosby gets the game winning goal in OT to stand on the top pedastal with the gold around his neck.

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
Im rooting for Canada, you can think what you will of that but just because you were born and raised in the USA it doesn't mean you are required to only like USA teams..

It should. I have no idea how any American could root for Canada(or any other country for that matter) in the olympics, makes no sense.

I'm no where near the most knowledgable hockey fan in the world(though I really am starting to fall in love with the sport) but I seriously felt like I got shot when Crosby scored that goal. That hurt a ton.

I will say I am always a bit sad when the Olympics come to an end. I really, really enjoy all the different sports and the athletes that get spotlighted that aren't a part of the constant sports coverage here.

I guess they have to end for a while though, or I wouldn't love them so much.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
I'm no where near the most knowledgable hockey fan in the world(though I really am starting to fall in love with the sport) but I seriously felt like I got shot when Crosby scored that goal. That hurt a ton.

Well than I guess you're more American than I