Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bjorn Ferry, Swedish gold medal winner in the biathalon pursuit yesterday:

Before his race, Ferry underlined his contempt for anyone taking a soft line on drug cheats and said dopers deserved the stiffest punishment. And not just the usual slap on the wrist of a ban.

"If it were up to me I would dish out the death penalty in doping cases," he said.

"Or at least lots of kicks in the balls."

Am I the only one getting the impression from figure skating that shockingly few of the contestants are actually any good? Seems like every single routine I watch, there's at least 1, if not more than 1 major fall or error on the jumps. I feel like I watched these 12 years ago and the level of skill of the competitors was an order of magnitude better than what we've seen so far.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
Am I the only one getting the impression from figure skating that shockingly few of the contestants are actually any good? Seems like every single routine I watch, there's at least 1, if not more than 1 major fall or error on the jumps. I feel like I watched these 12 years ago and the level of skill of the competitors was an order of magnitude better than what we've seen so far.

I think they are trying to do too much. I was more artistic now it is more arial.

Man card was just handed in......

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
You have to hand in your man card when you think it's funny to watch people fall flat on their face while trying to jump on ice?

"I feel like I watched these 12 years ago and the level of skill of the competitors was an order of magnitude better than what we've seen so far."

It starts to blur the line when you have been watching for 12 years and notice the skill level. :usa

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)

I can say that the announcers rip most of the skaters for not being very good. Then someone they consider good falls down. Frankly though, I think the ice is a real problem.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
So what do those brooms do in curling?

I guess the brooms "rough up" the ice a little, slowing the speed of the stone and changing its direction by how each broom is worked (one side brushes harder than the other to make the stone hook one way or another, etc).

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
I guess the brooms "rough up" the ice a little, slowing the speed of the stone and changing its direction by how each broom is worked (one side brushes harder than the other to make the stone hook one way or another, etc).

I thought it was the opposite? I thought brushing made the ice slicker and kept the stone moving.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
I thought it was the opposite? I thought brushing made the ice slicker and kept the stone moving.

Yeah, thats what I thought too. I think it lowers the friction on the ice and kinda heats it which smooths it out and keeps the stone moving faster.

Damnit, gonna be stuck at worker longer so am only gonna get to catch the last hour of it tonight...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Yeah, thats what I thought too. I think it lowers the friction on the ice and kinda heats it which smooths it out and keeps the stone moving faster.

Damnit, gonna be stuck at worker longer so am only gonna get to catch the last hour of it tonight...

Thats correct. The ice actually has tiny little pimples or ice bubbles all over and the brooms actually smoothen them out and reduce the friction on the rock, which causes it to travel further or to curve one way or another.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
I am liking the Vonn story. I do not view X games sports as real so it is good to see the U.S. do well in alpine eventes with Bode and Vonn as well as my favorite the Nordic Combined.

I am so over the Lindsey's. (Vonn/Jacobellis)

First, Vonn's camp is going out of their way to tell us that her "shin was throbbing" after a practice run. Guess what! You're not the only skier who has injuries!! Stop it!!

Then there's Jacobellis. I'm really supposed to feel bad for her because she wrecked while being a poor sport and showboating with a huge lead 4 years ago? I was so happy when she hit that gate yesterday. But she's got good spirit! She made a HUGE deal about how she went out and won the consolation race even though she normally wouldn't have bothered trying. She said her coach gave her "props" for going out and trying to win that race instead of sulking.

Give me a break. Enjoy your endorsements, but these two can take a hike for all I care, and I love the Olympics.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)

Could be. Just seems like brushing the ice would make it slower.

I certainly don't claim to be a curling expert. I just stopped on it the other night because the Japanese team was cute.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
Could be. Just seems like brushing the ice would make it slower.

I certainly don't claim to be a curling expert. I just stopped on it the other night because the Japanese team was cute.

I was thinking the same thing about the British girl. She is why I stopped in on it.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
Do they normally show this much curling or is it because of the weather?

I think it got fairly regular air time in previous Olympics, but I don't know for sure. Either way, I'm loving it as curling is probably my favorite Olympic sport to watch.