Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
Yeah, i didnt even think of it that way. Good point that Im sure the papers wont pick up on.

All of this money is because there is no first round pick. JA does not like spending money on the draft, that is why he drafts guys that will sign......excpet Cedric Benson.

JA flat out does not believe in the high draft pick money which is why they could get Peppers as oppossed to whoever may or may not pan out with the pick they could have had.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
Bernstein just said there is a lot more going on behind the scenes and "draft day will be VERY interesting"

Oh God, classic Bernstein. I hear Kobe is a lock to be a Bull, too.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
have you heard any scuttle on what they may have in mind for this off-season? Also, what's the rumbling on what happened during the playoff game to the D, kind of an anomaly or cause of concern? Personally I think they have a very good D and that was just kind of a fluke game.

I have not heard or seen anything that indicates Green Bay will be making any major moves this off season, not particularly surprised. I'm hoping they sign an OL at the least, I don't know how much I can trust a rookie coming out of the draft moving right into the starting spot. I have read Clifton and Tauschner are top priorities, I would like both back for a reasonable price but I don't really mind if both leave since they struggled to stay healthy last season and Clifton wants I hear 3 years 20 million, ripoff imo.

Have like 15 million in cap room to spend but the Packers don't have a history of bringing in many free agents. Ted Thompson seems to like relying on the draft to improve the team, done fairly well I suppose since he took over as GM (Rodgers, Collins, Hawk, Poppinga, Jolly, Jennings, Matthews and Finley), this is since 2005, I might be missing some relevant names.

Still a good defense, especially given this was the first year in a 3-4 and everyone says it takes an adjustment period to get used to. Just couldn't stop the Cardinals spread offense, no pressure was really applied on Warner and our secondary was way too thin after Bigby's injury and Warner took advantage. Outside of Tramon, Woodson and Collins we did not have anyone in the secondary to cover all of their receivers and Chillar is the only above avg pass coverage LB we have imo. Not a fluke, I'm not surprsied after looking back that the Cardinals scored so easily given how thin Green Bay was on defense at the end of the season.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Biggs is saying the Bears are not in on the Boldin talks. PERIOD.

I think Martz is honestly pretty happy with the WRs they have on the roster already.

He is that arrogant.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
I think Martz is honestly pretty happy with the WRs they have on the roster already.

He is that arrogant.

Knox, Bennett and Aromashodu all improved quite a bit over the season, not that I don't want to upgrade there, but the OL really needs to be improved first. I think Olsen gets traded and a WR is brought on board.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Boldin and a 5th rounder go to Baltimore for a third and fourth round pick.

Man, it would have been great to get Boldin.

His recent injuries effected his trade value, imo. Plus he's going to be expensive. Bears offered much more for Anquan a year ago.

I'm glad they passed because I think safety is a bigger need and I think Boldin has a lot of risks associated with him. Plus, whether we hit or not, we need draft picks and the Bears should be able to target a quality olineman in the 3rd round (its supposed to be a very deep draft in relation to olineman).

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Knox, Bennett and Aromashodu all improved quite a bit over the season, not that I don't want to upgrade there, but the OL really needs to be improved first. I think Olsen gets traded and a WR is brought on board.

Agreed. OL and safety are much more important needs than WR. I like that group, with also a year of Iglasias in the mold and of course Hester. We got some dead weight we can get rid of too. (Mckee since FB isn't normally used in Martz' system anyways, Clark, R. Davis, etc..) What I like about the TE signing is he's basically another OL we will plug in for Cutler when you think about it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
His recent injuries effected his trade value, imo. Plus he's going to be expensive. Bears offered much more for Anquan a year ago.

I'm glad they passed because I think safety is a bigger need and I think Boldin has a lot of risks associated with him. Plus, whether we hit or not, we need draft picks and the Bears should be able to target a quality olineman in the 3rd round (its supposed to be a very deep draft in relation to olineman).

Yes it is. Wouldn't be surprised if the Bears hold out for that as well. Some good names can (and probably will) fall right into their lap come draft day in the third.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Boldin and a 5th rounder go to Baltimore for a third and fourth round pick.

Man, it would have been great to get Boldin.

He's now signed an extension with Ravens. 4yrs 28M. That seems pretty fair financially.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
I have not heard or seen anything that indicates Green Bay will be making any major moves this off season, not particularly surprised. I'm hoping they sign an OL at the least, I don't know how much I can trust a rookie coming out of the draft moving right into the starting spot. I have read Clifton and Tauschner are top priorities, I would like both back for a reasonable price but I don't really mind if both leave since they struggled to stay healthy last season and Clifton wants I hear 3 years 20 million, ripoff imo.

Have like 15 million in cap room to spend but the Packers don't have a history of bringing in many free agents. Ted Thompson seems to like relying on the draft to improve the team, done fairly well I suppose since he took over as GM (Rodgers, Collins, Hawk, Poppinga, Jolly, Jennings, Matthews and Finley), this is since 2005, I might be missing some relevant names.

Still a good defense, especially given this was the first year in a 3-4 and everyone says it takes an adjustment period to get used to. Just couldn't stop the Cardinals spread offense, no pressure was really applied on Warner and our secondary was way too thin after Bigby's injury and Warner took advantage. Outside of Tramon, Woodson and Collins we did not have anyone in the secondary to cover all of their receivers and Chillar is the only above avg pass coverage LB we have imo. Not a fluke, I'm not surprsied after looking back that the Cardinals scored so easily given how thin Green Bay was on defense at the end of the season.

I seriously doubt you'll see GB get in on any big FA ever because of their horrible ownership situation. Just my .02

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
I seriously doubt you'll see GB get in on any big FA ever because of their horrible ownership situation. Just my .02

Oh I know, not expecting anything. Used to them doing nothing in the offseason, basically anticipating the draft. Maybe another Chillar like move that was under the radar but that is all.

Honestly, the Bears should've been in on Boldin. Given the needs of the Bears starting WR > Backup RB. They should've traded for him IMHO.

Overall, if you're a Bears fan, you have to be happy. I just think they should've concentrated more on skilled offense.

Edited by nitetrain8601

Who's slated to be the Bears RT ATM (I assume Williams is moving to LT after the release of Pace).

IMO, the Bears need to bring in at least 2 new O-Lineman in order for Martz's system to have any chance at being successful.

Doubt you'll get a starting RT in the 3rd round of the draft, but getting a C or G there is certainly possible.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
Honestly, the Bears should've been in on Boldin. Given the needs of the Bears starting WR > Backup RB. They should've traded for him IMHO.

No, they shouldn't have.. it doesn't matter who you sign or trade for, you aren't going to build a winning franchise in the NFL without those front end draft picks.. especially when you consider they already don't even pick till round 3 as it is..

The Bears were close to getting Boldin last offseason, and had a deal in place that Arizona agreed to. Boldin met with some team officials, and they all came back to Angelo saying they no longer wanted him. I have no idea what happened in that meeting, but these same individuals in the past gave the green light to go after TO. This information comes from someone VERY CLOSE to the McCaskeys.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
The Bears were close to getting Boldin last offseason, and had a deal in place that Arizona agreed to. Boldin met with some team officials, and they all came back to Angelo saying they no longer wanted him. I have no idea what happened in that meeting, but these same individuals in the past gave the green light to go after TO. This information comes from someone VERY CLOSE to the McCaskeys.

So Boldin met with OUR team officials?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)

Overall, if you're a Bears fan, you have to be happy. I just think they should've concentrated more on skilled offense.

What about going after Kevin Walter, he's a big possession receiver for the Houston Texans, he's a UFA, and is highly underrated. Oh and he's also from Lake Forest. Would be a great fit IMO. He's not a #1 but I don't think we'll need one if Martz spreads the offense around. Aroma, Bennett, Knox, Hester, Iglesias, and Walter would be a solid core for Cutler to work with. I do agree before we make any moves we need to shore up the OL (mainly LG), whether that's trading Olsen for picks we can then use to draft one or signing a FA. Shore up the OL, sign Kevin Walter, wait for a bargain in FS (fingers crossed for Atogwe) but Sharper should suffice. That would be a great offseason.

Edited by pktmotion

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
No, they shouldn't have.. it doesn't matter who you sign or trade for, you aren't going to build a winning franchise in the NFL without those front end draft picks.. especially when you consider they already don't even pick till round 3 as it is..

Right, since the Bears have had such awesome front end draft picks the past few years. Peppers and Boldin are better than any 1st or 2nd round pick they would have made anyway (and probably not that much more expensive)

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)

Nicely said Carl. Things might have been slightly different if the Bears still had their second rounder, but even then I doubt they trade their 3rd and/or 4th for Boldin.

Ima probably take some heat for this, but even though he's old and could be a headcase, but TO is out there..... :ph34r:

TO isn't a head case. He's a hot dog and a bit of a primadonna, but he's not a head case. And he's still damn good too. If you can catch 55 passes for 829 yards with Ryan "no-arm" Fitzpatrick and Trent "dump down" Edwards as your QBs, you have separation skills.

Great receivers have pretty good shelf life and so I'd figure Owens still probably has another 2 years or so left in him.