Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Can anyone give me a legitimate reason why Devin Aromashadou isn't currently starting over Knox or Hester? (I know it's the off-season). This just seems like one of those situations where it is obvious to everyone but the Bears that this guy is best option they have. Very frustrating.

Has the season started and I don't know about it?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
Has the season started and I don't know about it?

No, and I understand this is premature . . . but Martz and Lovie have installed Knox and Hester as our starting WR. I'd rather have Aromashadou get the 1st string reps with Cutler now to help build up rapport between the two.

It's entirely possible that Martz and Lovie don't feel that Aromashodu is the best WR on the team. In his entire career, he's had two decent games (8 catches, 76 yards, 1 TD against the Packers, 5/46/2 against the Lions)) and one great game against the Vikings (7/150/1).

Or it's entirely possible that they want to make him earn it. Or who maybe they're clueless. It could be any number of hypothetical reasons that, until you talk to Martz and Lovie about their actual plans for Aromashodu, you won't know.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
It's entirely possible that Martz and Lovie don't feel that Aromashodu is the best WR on the team. In his entire career, he's had two decent games (8 catches, 76 yards, 1 TD against the Packers, 5/46/2 against the Lions)) and one great game against the Vikings (7/150/1).

Or it's entirely possible that they want to make him earn it. Or who maybe they're clueless. It could be any number of hypothetical reasons that, until you talk to Martz and Lovie about their actual plans for Aromashodu, you won't know.

I'm not trying to heap undeserved praise on Aromashadou. I just think he's the best option in what I consider to be a pretty bad receiving corp. His two good games last year were, at least in my opinion, the two best performances by a WR for the entire season.

I'm willing to concede that Hester isn't devoid of talent at WR, but I haven't seen him display the type of skill that DA displayed down the stretch in 09.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
I'm not trying to heap undeserved praise on Aromashadou. I just think he's the best option in what I consider to be a pretty bad receiving corp. His two good games last year were, at least in my opinion, the two best performances by a WR for the entire season.

I'm willing to concede that Hester isn't devoid of talent at WR, but I haven't seen him display the type of skill that DA displayed down the stretch in 09.

Hester is really just Chicago's version of Reggie Bush, because he's simply not good enough to be a receiver, he's undoubtedly not good enough to be a running back, but he's so talented that you need to find ways to get him onto the field, even if it's merely as a decoy.

I agree with you that Aromashodu is the best receiver the Bears have and he should be the #1, but in Martz's offense, I'm not sure if it matters whether you are numbers 1-3 or even 1-4, you're still going to get the ball thrown your way a ton.

Right now Chris Harris is starting at FS for us again. Even though everyone knows he had his best years (and fits the best) as a SS in Carolina. That alone would piss me off much more. This is why I'm glad the season doesn't start till months from now.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Just think of the Cutler drama, the Lovie/Martz drama and the 3-13 season with a new coach, GM, owner and high draft pick next season!

Yeah. It depresses me too.

If they go 3-13 I'll _______ (insert something outrageous here)

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Just think of the Cutler drama, the Lovie/Martz drama and the 3-13 season with a new coach, GM, owner and high draft pick next season!

Yeah. It depresses me too.

Ehh they'll probably go 7-9 again or something. I just hope whatever they do, go all out. No 9-7 crap where nothing changes and the team still isn't going anywhere. Either surprise everybody and go 12-4 or suck and go 5-11 please.

And if you want to get more depressed, think of the 2011 lockout.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
Does Joe Horn really need to "announce" his retirement?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
He retired? He had an announcement?

He was going to do it by cell phone, but the NFL wouldn't take his calls.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 01:40 AM)
Ehh they'll probably go 7-9 again or something. I just hope whatever they do, go all out. No 9-7 crap where nothing changes and the team still isn't going anywhere. Either surprise everybody and go 12-4 or suck and go 5-11 please.

And if you want to get more depressed, think of the 2011 lockout.

Couldn't agree more. The absolute worst thing the Bears can do is go 9-7 or 10-6 and miss the playoffs. No postseason, no changes made.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)

Wow, just saw this now. Can't believe it's not a bigger story.

The NFL is ignoring these stories as much as it can, meanwhile, the evidence just keeps mounting and mounting that the game the way it is currently played must either change, or an equipment change is necessary.

This is simply ridiculous.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Wow, just saw this now. Can't believe it's not a bigger story.

The NFL is ignoring these stories as much as it can, meanwhile, the evidence just keeps mounting and mounting that the game the way it is currently played must either change, or an equipment change is necessary.

This is simply ridiculous.

Yeah, the NFL is basically ignoring stories like that one and hoping they go away. They need to understand though that it's becoming quite clear that there is a big link between playing football and having a scrambled brain. The scary part is that I'm not sure how much can be done to fight this trend. Obviously, much more strenuous standards are needed to diagnose and protect players with concussions (and we seem to be slowly headed in that direction), but even beyond concussions, it simply seems like playing football messes with a lot of people's brains. And I'm not sure what can be done to stop it or even slow it down.

I know football players go in knowing the health risks, but you'd think there is a way to protect them more adequately. Either way though, I will say that stories like these make me want to be a little more cautious in judging guys who are seeming knuckleheads such as Chris Henry was. As for the reason this isn't a bigger story, I think it's the same reason head injuries in football in general aren't a bigger story right now, and that is people really like football and simply don't want to hear about the fact that it may be very damaging to the participants, even moreso than we already realize.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
Yeah, the NFL is basically ignoring stories like that one and hoping they go away. They need to understand though that it's becoming quite clear that there is a big link between playing football and having a scrambled brain. The scary part is that I'm not sure how much can be done to fight this trend. Obviously, much more strenuous standards are needed to diagnose and protect players with concussions (and we seem to be slowly headed in that direction), but even beyond concussions, it simply seems like playing football messes with a lot of people's brains. And I'm not sure what can be done to stop it or even slow it down.

I know football players go in knowing the health risks, but you'd think there is a way to protect them more adequately. Either way though, I will say that stories like these make me want to be a little more cautious in judging guys who are seeming knuckleheads such as Chris Henry was. As for the reason this isn't a bigger story, I think it's the same reason head injuries in football in general aren't a bigger story right now, and that is people really like football and simply don't want to hear about the fact that it may be very damaging to the participants, even moreso than we already realize.

The interesting thing is that they have studied violent sports that do not use helmets, such as rugby, and this trend does not really exist. The helmet in football is being used as a weapon rather than a safety device.

Would you watch NFL football if they did not wear helmets (or at least not helmets like the current equipment)?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
The interesting thing is that they have studied violent sports that do not use helmets, such as rugby, and this trend does not really exist. The helmet in football is being used as a weapon rather than a safety device.

Would you watch NFL football if they did not wear helmets (or at least not helmets like the current equipment)?

I remember reading an article that talked about the NFL with no helmets. It basically suggested that the odds of someone dying on the field grow, but that head injuries in general would go down as a result because people would no longer want to use their head as a weapon.

-------

JaMarcus Russell busted for possession of a controlled substance. The biggest bust in the history of busts continues his legacy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)

I'd still watch it, but I think a lot of people wouldn't.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
I remember reading an article that talked about the NFL with no helmets. It basically suggested that the odds of someone dying on the field grow, but that head injuries in general would go down as a result because people would no longer want to use their head as a weapon.

I read this article too, I believe it was on yahoo as well actually. I think it makes an interesting, and perhaps valid, point. One thing that I don't think can be argued is that helmets are used as weapons moreso than safety devices. That has perhaps been minmized a bit recently as just about all helmet to helmet contact is now illegal, but it's impossible to outright remove it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101