Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Just so you guys know if you don't, the Bears drafted Harvey Unga in the supplemental draft this afternoon..

Definitely worth a 7th round pick. Bears have struggled in short yardage for a while now. . . Unga might be able to help that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
Packers DE Jolly suspended indefinitely for violation of substance abuse program. Will be eligible for reinstatement after the next Super Bowl. Ouch

Nice offseason, Pack.

He was caught with the same stuff that JaMarcus Russell got busted for.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Wow, just saw this now. Can't believe it's not a bigger story.

The NFL is ignoring these stories as much as it can, meanwhile, the evidence just keeps mounting and mounting that the game the way it is currently played must either change, or an equipment change is necessary.

This is simply ridiculous.

Every time I read a story like this, I grow happier and happier that my mom forbid me from playing football.

Anyone catch Mike and Mike this morning and yesterday as they spoke with the reps of the players union and owners about the NFL agreement? Pretty hilarious to listen to them justify their sides. Neither care about the fans or the game, they just care about getting more money. I thought it was telling that the owners rep listed off about 5 goals that the commissioner wants to achieve and basically none of them had to do with the fans. Which is really sad. NFL fans are so screwed. The average fan is getting pushed out so that the players and owners can make more money.

The more I listened to them, the more I got angry. Players want the owners to spend 200 million on pensions and salaries (cut from the rookie pay scale both sides appear to want). f***ing pensions? What does a millionaire need a pension for? Why not cut ticket prices or concession prices so people can afford to go to more than one game a year?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Anyone catch Mike and Mike this morning and yesterday as they spoke with the reps of the players union and owners about the NFL agreement? Pretty hilarious to listen to them justify their sides. Neither care about the fans or the game, they just care about getting more money. I thought it was telling that the owners rep listed off about 5 goals that the commissioner wants to achieve and basically none of them had to do with the fans. Which is really sad. NFL fans are so screwed. The average fan is getting pushed out so that the players and owners can make more money.

The more I listened to them, the more I got angry. Players want the owners to spend 200 million on pensions and salaries (cut from the rookie pay scale both sides appear to want). f***ing pensions? What does a millionaire need a pension for? Why not cut ticket prices or concession prices so people can afford to go to more than one game a year?

I actually side with the players on many of the issues. First of all, their contracts aren't guaranteed, so other than your signing bonus, a team can cut you anytime and not owe you s***. The average player's career is 2 or 3 years. Also, NFL players get hurt pretty bad physically over time, with head injuries, concussions, knee problems, etc. I have no problem with them wanting some money after their careers to help them deal with the health problems that their career caused them.

I don't know why you mention ticket prices when 30 of the 32 teams sold out every game last year and most teams have season ticket waiting lists that stretch for miles. I don't think they are stopping people from going to more than one game a year.

Edited by LittleHurt05

Yeah I also tend to side with the players on a lot of the issues in this case, because the NFL is a BRUTAL game. The league really does need a rookie wage scale, but even there I think the players should be allowed to become free agents after 3 years to kind of balance that out so proven ones can get a deserved pay raise sooner. The NFL is the biggest cash cow in sports by a mile, and the players can't even get guaranteed contracts? I know the injury rate is also highest in this league, but that seems kind of sketchy to me. The owners are just stuck with their heads in the clouds right now it seems, and that's why a long lockout is likely, unless said heads are removed from said clouds.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)

Seriously? The pension is the most important thing in football. We watch these guys kick the living crap out of each other and the pension helps take care of these guys when they are using wheel chairs and having surgery after surgery at early ages . Not to mention that average NFL career is only like 2.6 years or something like that so lets not pretend like every NFL player or even the average NFL player is a gagillionaire.

Well, the issue with the guaranteed contracts is basically addressing itself by the players asking for frontloaded contracts with huge signing bonuses. The free market usually figures out a way to deal with the inefficiencies of the system.

I do agree with the rookie wage scale though - there is no way a rookie QB that has never played an NFL game should be getting more guaranteed money than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
I actually side with the players on many of the issues. First of all, their contracts aren't guaranteed, so other than your signing bonus, a team can cut you anytime and not owe you s***. The average player's career is 2 or 3 years. Also, NFL players get hurt pretty bad physically over time, with head injuries, concussions, knee problems, etc. I have no problem with them wanting some money after their careers to help them deal with the health problems that their career caused them.

I don't know why you mention ticket prices when 30 of the 32 teams sold out every game last year and most teams have season ticket waiting lists that stretch for miles. I don't think they are stopping people from going to more than one game a year.

Kinda like any normal job? What makes these guys any different? Because they're professional athletes they should get more benefits than we get?

And if you go in knowing that what you do is physically taxing on your body, that's part of the gig. That's why you get paid millions of dollars. I have no problem with them asking for more money, but the problem is that money doesn't come from the owners, that comes from a 10 dollar hike in ticket prices that you and I pay for.

And I mentioned that the average fan has to spend a good chunk of his income just to see a game. It's a general gripe I have with all sports. Sure, it's fine for me and my fiance now (though I think having to spend a couple hundred bucks for a 3-4 hours affair is a bit ridiculous), but there's no way we'll do that kind of trip with kids. I used to go to games all the time with my family. I just don't think that trend will continue given the rising costs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
Well, the issue with the guaranteed contracts is basically addressing itself by the players asking for frontloaded contracts with huge signing bonuses. The free market usually figures out a way to deal with the inefficiencies of the system.

I do agree with the rookie wage scale though - there is no way a rookie QB that has never played an NFL game should be getting more guaranteed money than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Yeah, that's a huge one for me where I'm totally on the owners side. Bradford is gonna make 50 million guaranteed before stepping foot on a practice field in the NFL. That's just ridiculous.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
Kinda like any normal job? What makes these guys any different? Because they're professional athletes they should get more benefits than we get?

And if you go in knowing that what you do is physically taxing on your body, that's part of the gig. That's why you get paid millions of dollars. I have no problem with them asking for more money, but the problem is that money doesn't come from the owners, that comes from a 10 dollar hike in ticket prices that you and I pay for.

And I mentioned that the average fan has to spend a good chunk of his income just to see a game. It's a general gripe I have with all sports. Sure, it's fine for me and my fiance now (though I think having to spend a couple hundred bucks for a 3-4 hours affair is a bit ridiculous), but there's no way we'll do that kind of trip with kids. I used to go to games all the time with my family. I just don't think that trend will continue given the rising costs.

Who says you have the right to go to a game? Someone else will fill your seat. If want the prices to go down then stop going.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)

Well, the guaranteed contract thing is more about why I have no problem with them holding out for more money and asking for it, cause they can be cut at any time. It serves as a better comparison with the other major pro sports, not with the real world.

I realize football players are aware of the physical toll it will take on their body, but there are 35-year old ex-players that need a wheelchair to get around because of football or can't hold a job because of dementia/memory issues/brain damage due to football. But just cause the guy made $5 million in his career, the NFL shouldn't help him cover those health costs when he is older???

Every Sunday there are over a million people who have no issue with the cost of NFL tickets, and I'm sure plenty of them spend a high % of their income on it, and wouldn't think twice about it. I do not see that changing anytime soon. If you don't like it then don't go, the NFL won't miss you a bit.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
Well, the guaranteed contract thing is more about why I have no problem with them holding out for more money and asking for it, cause they can be cut at any time. It serves as a better comparison with the other major pro sports, not with the real world.

I realize football players are aware of the physical toll it will take on their body, but there are 35-year old ex-players that need a wheelchair to get around because of football or can't hold a job because of dementia/memory issues/brain damage due to football. But just cause the guy made $5 million in his career, the NFL shouldn't help him cover those health costs when he is older???

Every Sunday there are over a million people who have no issue with the cost of NFL tickets, and I'm sure plenty of them spend a high % of their income on it, and wouldn't think twice about it. I do not see that changing anytime soon. If you don't like it then don't go, the NFL won't miss you a bit.

Yeah, I get that the NFL isn't hurting for fans, but that doesn't mean it's not s***ty that prices continue to go up and up.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
Yeah, I get that the NFL isn't hurting for fans, but that doesn't mean it's not s***ty that prices continue to go up and up.

Supply and demand my friend, capitalism at it's finest. As a guy who appeares to be republican in the posts I've seen, I would think you of all people would defend such a concept.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Supply and demand my friend, capitalism at it's finest. As a guy who appeares to be republican in the posts I've seen, I would think you of all people would defend such a concept.

Right, and I do defend their right to do that. My complaint is that both sides talk out of their ass about this issue. They claim it's all about the fans and making the fans experience better, or the game better, or whatever, but it's not about that. If it was, tickets wouldn't be as expensive as they are (and wouldn't continue to rise).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
Right, and I do defend their right to do that. My complaint is that both sides talk out of their ass about this issue. They claim it's all about the fans and making the fans experience better, or the game better, or whatever, but it's not about that. If it was, tickets wouldn't be as expensive as they are (and wouldn't continue to rise).

Ahh but they are lying when they claim it's all about the fans. I mean, sure, SOME of it is about the fans, because they are a big part of what drives the machine. But at the end of the day, it's about whatever makes the most money. The teams would let every seat in the stadium be filled by corporations paying top dollar for them if they could.

Edited by whitesoxfan101