Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
I like this quote from the Packers board however, "It took 18 penalties, two interceptions negated by penalties, dropped interceptions from Nick Collins and Charles Woodson, a Jermichael Finley touchdown called back because of a penalty, a blocked field goal, a punt return for a touchdown and a late fumble that somehow stayed in bounds for the Bears to squeak by the Packers."

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

You can't count interceptions that come as a result of illegal hits to the quarterback, or by basically tackling our receivers.

The Packers basically played outside the rules for 25% of the game and then are going to whine that the results of those plays don't count?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)

You can't count interceptions that come as a result of illegal hits to the quarterback, or by basically tackling our receivers.

The Packers basically played outside the rules for 25% of the game and then are going to whine that the results of those plays don't count?

Agreed. It's one thing to say an INT was negated by a illegal hold on the opposite side of the field. But two of the INTs were DIRECT results of penalties.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
In the first half there were at least three holding calls that were not made. The clothesline on Peppers was one of them.

The Packers are not going to get te benfit of the doubt and as was pointed out is part of how they play.

Melton's roughing was a joke call.

Melton did technically make contact with the helmet. It was ticky-tack, but the rule is ANY contact is prohibited.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)

Its like saying that foul ball home runs were the only reason a team lost a baseball game. Its not legal and it doesnt count.

And Packers fans will probably completely ignore the series that was entirely taken over by Peppers as he drew flags, pushed the offense back and then blocked a FG try while basically man handling the entire GB offensive line.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
The Packers gave the Bears this game.

I call bulls***. Both teams made mistakes and while the Packers had a ton of penalties a lot of those holdings were because that was the only thing the oline could do to stop peppers. The false starts, they were scared of Peppers. And you talk about the couple interceptions that were turned back.

Well, a helmet shot forced a Cutler pass short and thus an interception and that was an evident PI on the long ball to Bennett. It was an intentional under-throw (it floated too long though) but without the PI Bennett is there, although he probably doesn't make the catch (as the Packer safety would have given him a good hit), but there wouldn't have been a pick on the ball.

I'll take the win and I thought our defense did well. It forced Rodgers to do the under-neath stuff and held up when it needed to in the red zone. Giving up 17 points against the Packers offense is a very good thing, imo. And all the while we missed a ton of tackles and didn't play our best.

Did GB, absolutely not. But I think the Bears learned a lot about themselves this game and they will continue to improve as the season progresses. They might just be a much better team than I thought they were. Clearly, our oline is still a massive work in process, but I have faith in Tice and I also know the Bears have draft picks during this years draft to help address the line.

I'll take the win and while Cutler didn't have a great game, he played tough and helped them win. f*** yes.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
I wish Lovie Smith would stop making dumb challenge calls.

I also wish Lovie Smith would use his best personnel on the field (Taylor on 3rd downs and in the red zone).

I also with Lovie Smith would stop trying to go for every 4th down and just take the points sometimes.

With that said, I'm VERY happy to see the Bears at 3-0. And boy do I love Julius Peppers.

Ummm, Martz has more to do with parts 2 and 3. Ultimately Lovie decides part 3, but I guarantee Martz was on board. And it wasn't a bad call, the play worked brilliantly. Bears just didn't execute.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
I call bulls***. Both teams made mistakes and while the Packers had a ton of penalties a lot of those holdings were because that was the only thing the oline could do to stop peppers. The false starts, they were scared of Peppers. And you talk about the couple interceptions that were turned back.

Well, a helmet shot forced a Cutler pass short and thus an interception and that was an evident PI on the long ball to Bennett. It was an intentional under-throw (it floated too long though) but without the PI Bennett is there, although he probably doesn't make the catch (as the Packer safety would have given him a good hit), but there wouldn't have been a pick on the ball.

I'll take the win and I thought our defense did well. It forced Rodgers to do the under-neath stuff and held up when it needed to in the red zone. Giving up 17 points against the Packers offense is a very good thing, imo. And all the while we missed a ton of tackles and didn't play our best.

Did GB, absolutely not. But I think the Bears learned a lot about themselves this game and they will continue to improve as the season progresses. They might just be a much better team than I thought they were. Clearly, our oline is still a massive work in process, but I have faith in Tice and I also know the Bears have draft picks during this years draft to help address the line.

I'll take the win and while Cutler didn't have a great game, he played tough and helped them win. f*** yes.

How's that bulls***? The Packers made a ton of stupid mistakes and seemingly outplayed the Bears for pretty much the entire first half. There's no doubt they're the more talented team, they just didn't play like a very smart one.

That's like saying the Sox didn't give a game away after losing to the Royals or Indians after 5 balks and 5 errors.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 06:40 AM)
After watching some highlights last night, the thing that bothered me the most was the breakdown it Jay's mechanics. He had gotten away from his fade-away passes the first couple games of the season but last night he was throwing fall aways with regularity. I hope Martz sits him down and beats proper mechanics into his head again. I know he was under pressure pretty much the entire game but he will have some of the same problems he did last year if he keeps doing that.

Don't worry, I still love you Jay.

Look at the difference in his demeanor, the way he overcame the issues and still made good passes late in the game. Jay is a different player and a more mature player this year. He's still growing as a QB but he is so much better than 95% of Bears fans think he is. Its pretty pathetic how stupid Bears fans are in general.

Very good post though Mark, I noticed he had a case of "Happy Feet" during a good chunk of the game. Hard to blame him when he was getting laid out all over the place. The thing is, Martz is not going to sit back, he'll work with Jay and Jay will listen and continue to improve because Jay respects the hell out of Martz and knows that Martz can help make him a great one, and potentially make Jay a hall of famer.

Early to say, sure, but I really like the long-term potential of a Jay/Martz marriage, assuming Cutler doesn't get killed because of our oline (which is not a safe assumption).

Bears still have 2 to 3 big things to improve on:

1. Oline

2. Pass Rush - Dline is going to have to consistently get to the QB to win.

3. Timing routes/hot reads (still issues with the offense not being on the same page at the same time and that is to be expected this early in the season with a new system)

Another thing to improve upon is our CB play on shorter slants (and has been for a long long time).

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 06:40 AM)
It is also hard to complain when your on the winning side, everything Green Bay was doing right was getting called back due to penalties. Not gonna argue that most of them weren't penalties, if I have beef with any of them it is the holding call on the Finley TD, NFL Network and ESPN this morning both said that was not a holding call but whatever.

I like this quote from the Packers board however, "It took 18 penalties, two interceptions negated by penalties, dropped interceptions from Nick Collins and Charles Woodson, a Jermichael Finley touchdown called back because of a penalty, a blocked field goal, a punt return for a touchdown and a late fumble that somehow stayed in bounds for the Bears to squeak by the Packers."

Believe it was Matthews who made that hit. Zambo had a really great preseason though, happy to see he got some playing time. I was content with how he played in the starting role, all 3 of our rookies who saw time on defense this year (Shields, Burnett & Zombo) have impressed me.

And those picks never happen without the penalties that occurred.

Oh and the Bears had a missed field goal and a dropped touchdown pass too. Don't forget that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
Ummm, Martz has more to do with parts 2 and 3. Ultimately Lovie decides part 3, but I guarantee Martz was on board. And it wasn't a bad call, the play worked brilliantly. Bears just didn't execute.

Sure, Martz might be part of the problem now, but the fact of the matter is that the Bears are absolutely brutal at evaluating talent as an organization. They've basically red-shirted multiple rookies and continue to not use their best assets. Aromashodu needs a lot more reps. Taylor needs to be used much more on 3rd down and short yardage situations. Hell, look at what Tim Jennings did.

On the SCORE this mornign they were talking about how the Bears kept Harris over Alex Brown because they felt Brown would be a rabble rouser when it came to the players union....ya that is good move.

The Bears need to just realize that Tommie Harris is not good anymore and be done with it.

Haynesworth is a headcase but at least he still may have talent. Harris is just injured and bad.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
Sure, Martz might be part of the problem now, but the fact of the matter is that the Bears are absolutely brutal at evaluating talent as an organization. They've basically red-shirted multiple rookies and continue to not use their best assets. Aromashodu needs a lot more reps. Taylor needs to be used much more on 3rd down and short yardage situations. Hell, look at what Tim Jennings did.

I also should point out that I'm not concerned with the issues you were and I agree with what the Bears have been doing.

And look at Jennings, the coaches made a quick adjustments with Bowman struggling and put in the guy they identified durding practice who was playing well. Touche for the coaches.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
On the SCORE this mornign they were talking about how the Bears kept Harris over Alex Brown because they felt Brown would be a rabble rouser when it came to the players union....ya that is good move.

The Bears need to just realize that Tommie Harris is not good anymore and be done with it.

Haynesworth is a headcase but at least he still may have talent. Harris is just injured and bad.

Well Drew suprisingly was trying to calm him down saying he's still coming back from injury, he has to understand the Bears' stance, etc. Kind of weird, but I think Harris just needs a change.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
How's that bulls***? The Packers made a ton of stupid mistakes and seemingly outplayed the Bears for pretty much the entire first half. There's no doubt they're the more talented team, they just didn't play like a very smart one.

That's like saying the Sox didn't give a game away after losing to the Royals or Indians after 5 balks and 5 errors.

Stupid mistakes:

False starts: Scared of the pass rush

Holding: Scared of the pass rush

Pass Interference: WR is open, only way to stop the catch

Those penalties are all a part of the Bears personnel outplaying the GB personnel. The roughing calls were dumb mistakes and shouldnt have happened, but alot of the penalties had to to with GB not being able to match up with Bears players.

I'm not sure what seemingly outplayed means, if you mean GB had long, clock-draining drives keeping the ball away from the Bears, then yes that happened. Aaron Rogers was the best player on the field for either team, and he had pretty much the best QB rating a player can have in the first half. If anything, Rogers outplayed the Bears for alot of the game, at other positions, I'm not sure it was lopsided towards the Pack. Matthews was supposed to come in and dominate the horrific O-Line of the Bears and no-name Kevin Schaffer pretty much shut him down the entire game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
I'm not sure what seemingly outplayed means, if you mean GB had long, clock-draining drives keeping the ball away from the Bears, then yes that happened. Aaron Rogers was the best player on the field for either team, and he had pretty much the best QB rating a player can have in the first half. If anything, Rogers outplayed the Bears for alot of the game, at other positions, I'm not sure it was lopsided towards the Pack. Matthews was supposed to come in and dominate the horrific O-Line of the Bears and no-name Kevin Schaffer pretty much shut him down the entire game.

OTOH...acknowledging that Rogers is a very good player and giving him enough to allow him to drain the clock but not enough to hurt the Bears appears to have been a key part of the Bears strategy in that game too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
I also should point out that I'm not concerned with the issues you were and I agree with what the Bears have been doing.

And look at Jennings, the coaches made a quick adjustments with Bowman struggling and put in the guy they identified durding practice who was playing well. Touche for the coaches.

Jennings was awful last night

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
I couldn't disagree more in regards to Jennings. He did a really nice job coming in for Bowman.

He missed a few tackles including a huge one on the play where Jones fumbled that was inexcusable on 2nd and I think 17. He also didn't do anything different in coverage than any of the Bears other corners last night.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
He missed a few tackles including a huge one on the play where Jones fumbled that was inexcusable on 2nd and I think 17. He also didn't do anything different in coverage than any of the Bears other corners last night.

He tackled 100% better than Bowman, that was enough.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Believe it was Matthews who made that hit. Zambo had a really great preseason though, happy to see he got some playing time. I was content with how he played in the starting role, all 3 of our rookies who saw time on defense this year (Shields, Burnett & Zombo) have impressed me.

The announcer said Matthews but the replay showed that it was Zambo.