Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
That was the worst offensive line performance I've ever seen. And that's saying something.

The sad thing is it isn't like they have a young line that has talented guys who are struggling. They just have a line full of terrible football players. The Bears have to use several picks on the OL this year in the draft. I'm not sure they have a single OL that is NFL starting caliber.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
What an ugly game. This is the Bears I was expecting all season tho. If Cutler comes out 2nd half they still had a shot to win it tho. :(

Thats the only thing optimistic about the game. As bad as the Bears were, their defense kept them in it for the majority of the game.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
Man everybody is ripping on Cutler for "holding onto the ball forever" but really 5 seconds isn't "forever." Only in this offense.

I don't think people realize that deep drops, and the QB getting sacked are essentially part of Martz's offense its just that usually you have a competent line so the QB isn't getting pressured on each and every throw and the big plays his offense produces offset the sacks and negative plays.

Offensive Lineman Drafted by Jerry Angelo. Impressive group of players.

R3 Mike Gandy

R5 Bernard Robertson

R1 Marc Colombo

R3 Terence Metcalf

R7 Bryan Anderson

None

None

R6 Tyler Reed

R4 Josh Beekman

R7 Aaron Brant

R1 Chris Williams

R6 Chester Adams

R7 Kirk Barton

R7 Lance Louis

R7 J'Marcus Webb

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
Man everybody is ripping on Cutler for "holding onto the ball forever" but really 5 seconds isn't "forever." Only in this offense.

Some of the issue though was him taking the sack on plays that he could have made. The concussion play for example, was a CB blitz, and the zone that the CB blitzed from was left vacant with Earl Bennett wide open. If you're a top level QB you throw the ball over the head of the blitzer and complete that pass, and Bennett runs for 25+ yards. Cutler tucked the ball away instead of making the throw he should have made.

That said...after taking 8 sacks, he was probably shell-shocked.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Offensive Lineman Drafted by Jerry Angelo. Impressive group of players.

The worst part is that the one good lineman he drafted suffered an awful injury with the Bears, so it didn't work out with them and now he's a starter somewhere else.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
I saw that coverage before he did, WTF. One of the plays I can count on one hand where he actually had time to throw. That was a head-shaker.

If anyone here thinks they can do what Jay has done despite getting collosally pounded, well, than your one in a billion. Guy is getting absolutely f***ed and people don't expect it to have an impact. Guy is flat out dying out there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
I hope Cutler is ok, but I'm not sad to see Collins in this game. I like Cutler, but he just had no rhythm tonight (and 99% of that is to be blamed on the OL).

You might be the dumbest poster in the history of posters during any given game thread. Your comments are absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, Todd Collins is the biggest piece of s*** ever and your ignorance in not understanding the impacts of 9 sacks in a game is absolutely ridiculous.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
Giants are outcoaching the Bears tonight. Making all the right calls.

Are you f***ing serious? Giants looked like absolute s*** tonight. Outside of there dline manhandling the Bears and I'm not even going to give them credit for that. Did you see how our guys blocked? Oh wait, on most plays they pretty much just whiffed.

It was a complete an utter s*** show by the Bears. Giants looked like a horrible team that won because we had a dead dog at QB and the worse oline in the history of football blocking that dead dog during the 2nd half.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
You might be the dumbest poster in the history of posters during any given game thread. Your comments are absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, Todd Collins is the biggest piece of s*** ever and your ignorance in not understanding the impacts of 9 sacks in a game is absolutely ridiculous.

Cause I wanted Cutler to get a series off to catch his breath and hopefully snap out of the shock he was in? It was obvioius to everyone watching that the pressure was effecting him physically and mentally. I'm sorry, but Cutler sucked last night. He had a chance to make a big play to Hester, and he underthrew it. His interception was one of the worst reads you'll ever see. And don't throw me in with the other Orton lovers. Just last week, I was telling people how stupid the Cutler vs Orton debate is.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
Cause I wanted Cutler to get a series off to catch his breath and hopefully snap out of the shock he was in? It was obvioius to everyone watching that the pressure was effecting him physically and mentally. I'm sorry, but Cutler sucked last night. He had a chance to make a big play to Hester, and he underthrew it. His interception was one of the worst reads you'll ever see. And don't throw me in with the other Orton lovers. Just last week, I was telling people how stupid the Cutler vs Orton debate is.

The above is pure crap. No QB could get sacked 9 times and survive or have a good game. NONE, ZERO, ZILCH.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
Are you f***ing serious? Giants looked like absolute s*** tonight. Outside of there dline manhandling the Bears and I'm not even going to give them credit for that. Did you see how our guys blocked? Oh wait, on most plays they pretty much just whiffed.

It was a complete an utter s*** show by the Bears. Giants looked like a horrible team that won because we had a dead dog at QB and the worse oline in the history of football blocking that dead dog during the 2nd half.

And the Giants made some good adjustments during the 2nd half, as they started to take advantage of the aggressive Bears front 7. They also stopped calling plays that were going horizontal, and went to more of a vertical offense. The only chance the Bears had last night on offense was the quick pass offense they applied vs the Cowboys.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
The above is pure crap. No QB could get sacked 9 times and survive or have a good game. NONE, ZERO, ZILCH.

So you're saying Cutler deserves absolutely no blame for a poor effort last night? The offensive line was clearly to blame last night in general, but Cutler did nothing to really help out. Midway thru the 2nd half (which is when I posted about him needing a breather), he was so shell-shocked that he couldn't even keep his footing when backing up.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
And the Giants made some good adjustments during the 2nd half, as they started to take advantage of the aggressive Bears front 7. They also stopped calling plays that were going horizontal, and went to more of a vertical offense. The only chance the Bears had last night on offense was the quick pass offense they applied vs the Cowboys.

No, the Bears defense got tired from a bazillion 3 and outs and thus, was bound to have some slip-ups. If there is anything to take away from that game it is the fact that our defense is looking like it might be a top 5 defense in this league again. However, the Giants are a pretty inept offense so, who knows what to take from it.

And that our oline truly will kill Jay Cutler.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
So you're saying Cutler deserves absolutely no blame for a poor effort last night?

DUH. Should I blame a pitcher if he pitches in a game where his team makes 12 errors? f*** no.

Clearly you've never played sports or something because you seem to think that sports exist in this vaccuum. Collosal pressure, hard hits, sacks, etc, are going to make it highly less likely that a QB can do anything worth a damn even in situations where he might be able to succeed. He had time to throw on like 10% of his drop-backs. That is f***ing ridiculous and probably has never happened in the history of football.

If 9 out of 10 days a week you got hit by a car, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to walk to work normally.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
DUH. Should I blame a pitcher if he pitches in a game where his team makes 12 errors? f*** no.

Clearly you've never played sports or something because you seem to think that sports exist in this vaccuum. Collosal pressure, hard hits, sacks, etc, are going to make it highly less likely that a QB can do anything worth a damn even in situations where he might be able to succeed. He had time to throw on like 10% of his drop-backs. That is f***ing ridiculous and probably has never happened in the history of football.

If 9 out of 10 days a week you got hit by a car, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to walk to work normally.

How many times had Cutler been sacked up until the time he underthrew what should have been an easy TD? How about before the INT? You're acting like I'm blaiming Cutler for losing the game, which is no way am I doing. There is not one player on offense that showed up to play last night unfortunately. Another point about the terrible coaching last night was even calling for a pass attempt on the play Cutler got knocked out. That should have been a run into the line and go into the halftime happy to be down 3-0.

Edited by fathom

Jas, yeah, the O-Line deserves a lot of the blame, but its ALSO true that Cutler was not sticking to the game plan. He was trying to do too much, held onto the ball too long. The Martz-designed offense gives up blitz slots in exchange for a friendlier zone downfield - which means that the QB needs to get the ball off faster or go to the underneath dump. Cutler didn't do well at that at all, so he does deserve some part of the blame here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
Jas, yeah, the O-Line deserves a lot of the blame, but its ALSO true that Cutler was not sticking to the game plan. He was trying to do too much, held onto the ball too long. The Martz-designed offense gives up blitz slots in exchange for a friendlier zone downfield - which means that the QB needs to get the ball off faster or go to the underneath dump. Cutler didn't do well at that at all, so he does deserve some part of the blame here.

I think I saw one time where a check-down was open. The guy was playing with a concussion, most likey, for a good chunk of the 1st half. And if you watch where his WR's were on those sacks, youd' see that they were busy running slow-developing deep routes. SO contrary to the one play where Cutler could have taken the hit and thrown it to Bennett (at that piont, it would have been about his 15th hit or so), he really didn't have these options that people are talking about.

Not to mention, I'd like to see them make those decisions when the QB is sacked on 45% of his drop-backs and hit on like 75% of them.