Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
I think I saw one time where a check-down was open. The guy was playing with a concussion, most likey, for a good chunk of the 1st half. And if you watch where his WR's were on those sacks, youd' see that they were busy running slow-developing deep routes. SO contrary to the one play where Cutler could have taken the hit and thrown it to Bennett (at that piont, it would have been about his 15th hit or so), he really didn't have these options that people are talking about.

Not to mention, I'd like to see them make those decisions when the QB is sacked on 45% of his drop-backs and hit on like 75% of them.

Are there actually reports that he was hurt prior to the Ross hit? It would actually make more sense, as he seemed to be lacking coordination during the 2nd quarter. As for the slow developing deep routes, I couldn't agree more with you. That was part of the coaching flaws I mentioned though. We were playing right into their hands.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
Are there actually reports that he was hurt prior to the Ross hit? It would actually make more sense, as he seemed to be lacking coordination during the 2nd quarter. As for the slow developing deep routes, I couldn't agree more with you. That was part of the coaching flaws I mentioned though. We were playing right into their hands.

Lovie was quoted as saying they don't know when for sure it happened and that he's trying to get all the facts.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)

Martz got a lot of credit for the Cowboys game and he gets the exact opposite to me for this game. He absolutely killed the oline and more importantly our QB. I wonder what sort of long-term effects this kind of game will have on our QB.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
Lovie was quoted as saying they don't know when for sure it happened and that he's trying to get all the facts.

If the medical staff weren't keeping an eye on Cutler early after the first 3-4 hits they took, and let him go back out there with a concussion, they ought to be fired.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
If the medical staff weren't keeping an eye on Cutler early after the first 3-4 hits they took, and let him go back out there with a concussion, they ought to be fired.

My guess is Cutler stayed away from everyone. They didn't know he suffered the concussion until halftime (since he didn't even come out on the play he took the hit from Ross). I still don't understand why the Bears even tried to throw the ball to end the 1st half. At that point, I was thrilled to death it was a 3-0 game and wanted to get to halftime as fast as possible to allow the coaches to make adjustments and for Jay to take some breaths.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
Then the medical staff should have sought him out after the 3rd or 4th hit and they'd have been negligent not to do so.

And to that point, did they not see him basically falling over himself in the 2nd quarter? I thought it was due to the field conditions with it starting to rain, but maybe not.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
And to that point, did they not see him basically falling over himself in the 2nd quarter? I thought it was due to the field conditions with it starting to rain, but maybe not.

Personally after about the 4th sack, he looked like a dead duck out there. He took some pretty heavy licks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
My guess is Cutler stayed away from everyone. They didn't know he suffered the concussion until halftime (since he didn't even come out on the play he took the hit from Ross). I still don't understand why the Bears even tried to throw the ball to end the 1st half. At that point, I was thrilled to death it was a 3-0 game and wanted to get to halftime as fast as possible to allow the coaches to make adjustments and for Jay to take some breaths.

Jason, you're making some of the same points I am about the coaching staff's utter failure last night, but you went off on me for saying the Bears were being outcoached? I truly feel like the Giants did a much better job adjusting during the 2nd half last night, including a perfectly timed screen pass on 3rd and long.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
Personally after about the 4th sack, he looked like a dead duck out there. He took some pretty heavy licks.

Again, all the more reason for him to take a set of downs off last night and regain his focus (or have the staff realized he wasn't 100% in the brain). I just went on talkbears to see what was being said on there, and I agree with you that calling Cutler a p**** is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
You might be the dumbest poster in the history of posters during any given game thread. Your comments are absolutely ridiculous. Seriously, Todd Collins is the biggest piece of s*** ever and your ignorance in not understanding the impacts of 9 sacks in a game is absolutely ridiculous.

I have a feeling this one violates a few Soxtalk rules! :lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
Jason, you're making some of the same points I am about the coaching staff's utter failure last night, but you went off on me for saying the Bears were being outcoached? I truly feel like the Giants did a much better job adjusting during the 2nd half last night, including a perfectly timed screen pass on 3rd and long.

I just don't give the Giants much any credit for last night. They looked pretty s***ty. Bears just completely shot themselves.

Plus I thought Marinelli had a nice game plan and our defense looked superb. Martz was absolutely horrific though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
I just don't give the Giants much any credit for last night. They looked pretty s***ty. Bears just completely shot themselves.

Plus I thought Marinelli had a nice game plan and our defense looked superb. Martz was absolutely horrific though.

Hub was saying that they couldn't do 3 step drops because the receivers can't be trusted. Cutler had to move Hester on many plays because he was lined up on the wrong side. He flat out did not trust that the receivers would be where they were supposed to be.

Maybe someone else can put those thoughts together better, but that's what he said.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Hub on 670 just said he's fairly confident we'll be seeing Caleb Haney's first NFL start on Sunday.

F*ck.

Who would have thought Jimmy Clausen would be the better, more experienced QB in a game as soon as Week 5???

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
Apparently the feeling is now that Cutlers concussion came after the "Olsen falls over" block.

Which is scary, cause of Cutler already was concussed and then suffered that blow from Aaron Ross, there is a lot of damage that could have been done.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
Which is scary, cause of Cutler already was concussed and then suffered that blow from Aaron Ross, there is a lot of damage that could have been done.

Unfortunately, this makes way more sense, too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 07:13 PM)
Unfortunately, this makes way more sense, too.

There was a special on Real Sports about this. Athletes that already have a concussion that suffer another blow to the head while the swelling in the brain is still persistent can lead to traumatic brain injuries, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
There was a special on Real Sports about this. Athletes that already have a concussion that suffer another blow to the head while the swelling in the brain is still persistent can lead to traumatic brain injuries, etc.

It's called "Second Impact Syndrome", and it can be fatal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Jas, yeah, the O-Line deserves a lot of the blame, but its ALSO true that Cutler was not sticking to the game plan. He was trying to do too much, held onto the ball too long. The Martz-designed offense gives up blitz slots in exchange for a friendlier zone downfield - which means that the QB needs to get the ball off faster or go to the underneath dump. Cutler didn't do well at that at all, so he does deserve some part of the blame here.

I believe that of the 10 sacks last night 8 were when the Giants rushed 4 or less people. They were dropping 7 into coverage and still getting pressure with only 4 when the Bears often had a TE or RB or both helping to block. 3 receivers, especially mediocre receivers like Hester, Bennett and Knox are going to struggle getting open against 7 guys.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

I swear, I'm blown away that after all those hits that he was taking the Bears didn't do something different? I hope Jay is ok. Has he spoke yet? Post game conference, anything?

Bears doctors had to be mind-blowingly stupid. This means Jay played after a concussion and was sacked ~4 to 5 more times, including that shot to his head. Holy cripes.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
I swear, I'm blown away that after all those hits that he was taking the Bears didn't do something different? I hope Jay is ok. Has he spoke yet? Post game conference, anything?

Bears doctors had to be mind-blowingly stupid. This means Jay played after a concussion and was sacked ~4 to 5 more times, including that shot to his head. Holy cripes.

Frankly, when your Oline is playing that poorly there isn't much you can do. It isn't like they can run block worth a damn either. I strongly believe Angelo should be fired for putting that group of offensive lineman together. What a f***ing joke.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Frankly, when your Oline is playing that poorly there isn't much you can do. It isn't like they can run block worth a damn either. I strongly believe Angelo should be fired for putting that group of offensive lineman together. What a f***ing joke.

I really agree with you. I've long been a huge proponent of drafting the lines. Angelo has done that with the dline, but ignored the line that protects your franchise player. It really is dispicable. I hope the Bears have some FA money to throw around because we already know we'll use at least 1 top pick on a lineman and probably 2. I'd be perfectly content if our 1st and 2nd round picks went oline and we signed a FA olineman.

My only hope is that Tice can somehow develop Omilaye, Williams (Both of them), Asiatta, and Webb. They are all young and I'll see if they can somehow turn into something. Most of them are incredibly raw though. Oh and hopefully they won't kill Cutler, but I have a scary feeling Cutler's career will end this year (and it could just be the constant pressure that forces Cutler to go the way a once promising David Carr did).