Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
I swear, I'm blown away that after all those hits that he was taking the Bears didn't do something different? I hope Jay is ok. Has he spoke yet? Post game conference, anything?

Bears doctors had to be mind-blowingly stupid. This means Jay played after a concussion and was sacked ~4 to 5 more times, including that shot to his head. Holy cripes.

This sums everything up.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
I really agree with you. I've long been a huge proponent of drafting the lines. Angelo has done that with the dline, but ignored the line that protects your franchise player. It really is dispicable. I hope the Bears have some FA money to throw around because we already know we'll use at least 1 top pick on a lineman and probably 2. I'd be perfectly content if our 1st and 2nd round picks went oline and we signed a FA olineman.

My only hope is that Tice can somehow develop Omilaye, Williams (Both of them), Asiatta, and Webb. They are all young and I'll see if they can somehow turn into something. Most of them are incredibly raw though. Oh and hopefully they won't kill Cutler, but I have a scary feeling Cutler's career will end this year (and it could just be the constant pressure that forces Cutler to go the way a once promising David Carr did).

Omiyale will be turning 28 fairly soon and he is a god awful football player. There is really no hope for that guy. Chris Williams still has some potential although he has been terrible so far in his career and the injuries make me think he will never be a good offensive lineman. And then the we have Edwin Williams an undrafted free agent and Webb a 7th round pick. I would be shocked if those guys ever become starting caliber OL.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
And then the we have Edwin Williams an undrafted free agent and Webb a 7th round pick. I would be shocked if those guys ever become starting caliber OL.

Wasn't Asiata undrafted as well? Yikes.. Louis as a 7th rounder. Meanwhile we have made glorious picks in Bazuin, Okpo, Gilbert (though I still like him in a 3-4 defense) Melton (still has time), Wolfe, Dvoracek, Harriott, Currie, Joe, Iglesias, etc.. etc..

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
I really agree with you. I've long been a huge proponent of drafting the lines. Angelo has done that with the dline, but ignored the line that protects your franchise player. It really is dispicable. I hope the Bears have some FA money to throw around because we already know we'll use at least 1 top pick on a lineman and probably 2. I'd be perfectly content if our 1st and 2nd round picks went oline and we signed a FA olineman.

My only hope is that Tice can somehow develop Omilaye, Williams (Both of them), Asiatta, and Webb. They are all young and I'll see if they can somehow turn into something. Most of them are incredibly raw though. Oh and hopefully they won't kill Cutler, but I have a scary feeling Cutler's career will end this year (and it could just be the constant pressure that forces Cutler to go the way a once promising David Carr did).

he was released last week and just re-signed to the practice squad

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
Wasn't Asiata undrafted as well? Yikes.. Louis as a 7th rounder. Meanwhile we have made glorious picks in Bazuin, Okpo, Gilbert (though I still like him in a 3-4 defense) Melton (still has time), Wolfe, Dvoracek, Harriott, Currie, Joe, Iglesias, etc.. etc..

Asiata was undrafted and every team makes bad picks but it is absolutely mindboggling how much Angelo has ignored the OL.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Asiata was undrafted and every team makes bad picks but it is absolutely mindboggling how much Angelo has ignored the OL.

That's the thing. I don't think anyone here would have problems with those picks if he addressed the O-Line before-hand (draft, FA, trades, whatever) but he didn't. The time he made some of those picks, thats when the O-Line was really struggling, then he continued to ignore it, until the O-Line got stupid bad. I liked the Williams pick, still like him. Omiyale I was never a fan of (there is a reason he was "inactive" twice all 16 games with the Falcons and the Panthers) and Garza is average.

Even Olin Kreutz at this stage in his career looks pretty bad.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
That's the thing. I don't think anyone here would have problems with those picks if he addressed the O-Line before-hand (draft, FA, trades, whatever) but he didn't. The time he made some of those picks, thats when the O-Line was really struggling, then he continued to ignore it, until the O-Line got stupid bad.

Well even when the OL was good back in 06 it was obvious they needed to start rebuilding the line because guys like Ruben Brown, Tait, etc. were all old and towards the end of their careers and yet he did nothing to address the situation. That is inexcusable.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
That's the thing. I don't think anyone here would have problems with those picks if he addressed the O-Line before-hand (draft, FA, trades, whatever) but he didn't. The time he made some of those picks, thats when the O-Line was really struggling, then he continued to ignore it, until the O-Line got stupid bad.

Even Olin Kreutz at this stage in his career looks pretty bad.

Kreutz and Garza have been awful, the entire line is a freaking joke.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Apparently the feeling is now that Cutlers concussion came after the "Olsen falls over" block.

Whenever something catastrophic happens on offense it always seems like Olsen is involved.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
Well even when the OL was good back in 06 it was obvious they needed to start rebuilding the line because guys like Ruben Brown, Tait, etc. were all old and towards the end of their careers and yet he did nothing to address the situation. That is inexcusable.

He never even tried. Every draft, except the one where they picked Williams, I've been completely livid. It's like he is drafting for a completely different team, and in 2007 when the need first became obvious he tried to stick it out with that old unit for one more year. Fred Miller had already passed "done" status, Kreutz was beginning to decline, Tait and Brown were running on fumes. He tries to get cute with his middle round picks too much drafting people nobody's ever heard of (umm... because nobody's heard of them, this means they'll be there later in the draft) and I think the later ones he just throws a f***ing dart at a board. Every year the line somehow gets worse.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)

Unfortunately...whether they have FA money to throw around or not really doesn't matter one iota, because there won't be a free agency period next year until a CBA is signed. The current CBA will allow for there to be a draft next year, but no contracts can be signed until a CBA starts, and nothing happens after the draft.