Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 07:15 PM)
There is one easy question... Who is the last college coach to be successful at the NFL level?

Pete Carroll

:lolhitting

Honestly, I think Saban would've if he gave it more time. He was impatient though. Can't really think of anyone else. Usually successful ones are good in the NFL first, then go to college.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
Pete Carroll

Honestly, I think Saban would've if he gave it more time. He was impatient though. Can't really think of anyone else. Usually successful ones are good in the NFL first, then go to college.

From the sounds of it, didn't he kinda get run off?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
Tom Coughlin

He coached the Jags for 7 years after he was at Boston College. The Giants werent his first go around in the NFL.

If Harbaugh gets the money they are rumoring(7-8 mil a year) I am going to laugh my ass off at TRU doing the dougie.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
looks like the Harbaugh talks fell apart. NFL.com is reporting Sparano was told tonight that he would return for 2011.

Glazer now saying reports out of SF are they're trying to get a deal done tonight with Harbaugh for about 6m a year...

well now about 20 minutes later Glazer is saying Stanford has raised their offer and he's leaning there, saying his sources in both spots are insisting he's theirs... seems still up in the air

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
Ever since watching Hard Knocks, I thought Mark Sanchez seemed like a pretty cool guy, but he just went up another notch in my book. He's an overrated QB, but this is a really good story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5991920

:headbang Sanchez

I hate USC, but I couldn't help but like Sanchez.

Good guy.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:14 AM)
Amazing how bad the media is these days when it comes to trying to be the first to leak out a story. They dont even care when they totally miss on breaking a story. No one calls them out on it.

depends on how and where they couch it... if it's a twitter feed like Glazer has been doing where he really stresses he's hearing stuff from sources and nothing confirmed but updating a lot I don't mind, but when people are breaking stuff on TV and completely wrong I do hate it.

Worst is when ESPN doesn't break a story, then they try to back door it so it looks like they did, ie "Chris Mortensen confirms earlier reports of...." completely ridiculous

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
Pete Carroll

Saban was a good coach, where he failed was the GM part of it.. he couldn't handle all of it and ran when he had the chance.. but I think he would have been good had he stayed in the NFL.. I mean s***, we were one bad medical report away from transforming the entire way the franchise is.. wed be where New Orleans is had it not been for that

QUOTE (T R U @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:56 AM)
Saban was a good coach, where he failed was the GM part of it.. he couldn't handle all of it and ran when he had the chance.. but I think he would have been good had he stayed in the NFL.. I mean s***, we were one bad medical report away from transforming the entire way the franchise is.. wed be where New Orleans is had it not been for that

Are you talking about Brees? Because you would have had to have brought Sean Payton with him too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 03:03 AM)
Are you talking about Brees? Because you would have had to have brought Sean Payton with him too.

Yes Brees, and having Sean Payton wouldn't have anything to do with it.. having a franchise QB is pretty much to main thing you need to be successful in this league..

aside from the fact there would have been better success and Saban more than likely wouldn't have left..

Edited by T R U

The Rooney rule is so counterproductive. African American coaches are turning down interviews because they don't believe teams are actually serious about hiring them. It's the same thing in MLB too. You are leaving these coaches discouraged to the possibility of them actually being hired. The best man should be considered and hired for the job as it is. If an African American is worthy, they are worthy, and if not, then they shouldn't be interviewed.

Oh, and TRU, I don't think you can know that Brees is doing what he did in his final two years in San Diego and New Orleans in Miami. He'd probably be just fine, but perhaps not.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Do these new overtme NFL playoff rules only apply to the opening drive of OT?

Yeah. If the first team to get the ball kicks a FG on the first drive, then the other team gets a chance to at least tie or beat them. After that, its sudden death.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
He coached the Jags for 7 years after he was at Boston College. The Giants werent his first go around in the NFL.

If Harbaugh gets the money they are rumoring(7-8 mil a year) I am going to laugh my ass off at TRU doing the dougie.

But he was very succesful with the Jags. Led them to the AFC Conference finals twice and won coach of the year.

He had NFL coaching experience prior to being the head coach for Boston College but it was nothing more than an assistant and only had head coaching gigs in college (Rochester something another and BC).

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
Ever since watching Hard Knocks, I thought Mark Sanchez seemed like a pretty cool guy, but he just went up another notch in my book. He's an overrated QB, but this is a really good story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5991920

I just became a Mark Sanchez fan.

Beat Indy!!

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

Looks like Harbaugh is going to take a 5-year contract with SF. Lots of hype and lots of money, I don't know the dollar amount but he's probably going to be making more money than a lot of other NFL coaches and he's never been a pro coach before.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
Looks like Harbaugh is going to take a 5-year contract with SF. Lots of hype and lots of money, I don't know the dollar amount but he's probably going to be making more money than a lot of other NFL coaches and he's never been a pro coach before.

Estimated # of years before he's back in college?